Author Topic: Has anyone had a "confined to barracks" for 12 weeks letter yet?  (Read 612 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
I had TWO letters arrive today, one from the GP practice and one from the NHS both stating I am in the "at risk category," and should stay home for 12 weeks.

JLR2

Nope, not seen anything yet. When I do I might think about sending Johnson's letter back to him at No10 suggesting where he puts it.

lankou

• Charter Member
Nope, not seen anything yet. When I do I might think about sending Johnson's letter back to him at No10 suggesting where he puts it.

I have not had Bojo the Clowns letter yet either.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Nor me - it's probably gone out second-class, must be costing a lot of money to mailshot every single household in the country (I'm assuming that's the one you mean rather than letters sent specifically to 'vulnerable' groups)

..I might think about sending Johnson's letter back to him at No10 suggesting where he puts it.

>lol<

I had TWO letters arrive today, one from the GP practice and one from the NHS both stating I am in the "at risk category," and should stay home for 12 weeks.

Oh, bad luck, Lankou  >thumbsdown<  - you must let us know if this promised system to get you essential supplies actually works well in practice  >x-fingers<

lankou

• Charter Member
Nor me - it's probably gone out second-class, must be costing a lot of money to mailshot every single household in the country (I'm assuming that's the one you mean rather than letters sent specifically to 'vulnerable' groups)

..I might think about sending Johnson's letter back to him at No10 suggesting where he puts it.

>lol<

Oh, bad luck, Lankou  >thumbsdown<  - you must let us know if this promised system to get you essential supplies actually works well in practice  >x-fingers<

I have a "live in" "carer", my wife who has 40 years experience of nursing before she retired early due to stress. (She is one of the Waspi women.
Despite the "confined to barracks," notice, I have a post operative check and eye test on Thursday which despite the optician/ophthalmologist being closed for routine eye tests is still going ahead.
I have printed out the email confirming this to show to the police if we get stopped.
My wife also has a three monthly B12 injection today which means she will have to hang hear arm out of the car window in the GP practice can park so a nurse in a "space suit" can administer it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
So far, I've escaped by the skin of my teeth.  I feel relieved.  I'm struggling just with trying not to go out more than once a week and I'd be in meltdown if it was for much longer (which it was in the days when I was in the don't-care of the local psychiatric 'home treatment team', on standby for their unscheduled visits 24/7).  My heart goes out to anyone not allowed out.

>bighugs<  >bighugs<  >bighugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Sunny, why you are limiting yourself to going out just once a week?  You're 'allowed' out once a day for exercise, plus you can get food shopping when you need it...I go out most days for a walk round the nearest park followed by a visit to M & S (always on the lookout for reduced edibles) so 'killing two birds with one stone'..

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
I'm sorry, I was unintentionally misleading.  I didn't mean I'm not going out into the open air, I meant I'm not leaving my property.  I have gardens.

But for me, the key point in leaving my house is to meet people, and with the two metre social distance, it's a bit of a strain. 

My urge to go out is an urge to sit and chat (a no-no) and an urge to shop (something that I, as a prepper, have to be very careful about being fair about).

And whilst, yes, I can go shopping more often, the more often I do so, the more delays it creates for others in the 'one out, one in' systems.  I queued maybe 20 min to get into the chemists for my meds, but took care before I went to think what else I needed, such as hay-fever eye-drops, to save multiple visits.

And since none of us knows whether we're actually carrying the virus, the less I come close to people, the less likely I am to be one of those that's passing it on, and the more likely I am to be helping to flatten the curve.

Going for a walk doesn't per se bring pleasure, weaving on and off pavements to maintain social distance as people take turns to squeeze through the gaps between cars and hedges/front walls.

That's not a complaint, just a practical reality.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

I'm very wary of going out altogether now, I will need to go out tomorrow as I'm hoping to visit a bank some 30+ miles away and I'll use the trip to do a wee bit of shopping. Thankfully I'm fairly well stocked and only need things such as milk and maybe some bread, it is mainly the bank side of things I'm concerned about getting done.

Sunshine

We have not had either letter which is to be expected. I am a bit worried though because Mr Sunshine is struggling mental health wise so has only been to the supermarket once.

I keep thinking I should take one of the dogs for a walk but so far I have not been out and about since the first week in March. For some illogical reason I feel like I wil get shouted at by some one in the street for taking up too much of the pavement. I am in Derbyshire ha ha.

Lankou do you have any plans for occupying yourself for the next 12 weeks.

JLR, I hope you bank stuff gets sorted easily and also you have a nice drive out.

Sunny, I am doing the same as you but finding it hard to resist trying to find a way to replenish the items we are using. Thing is I cant really ask for help when I do have food in the house. Still no online shops so I cant do my regular grocery shopping.

Kizzy, It is good to hear you are getting out and about, I do worry about how people without a garden are coping :-(

lankou

• Charter Member

Lankou do you have any plans for occupying yourself for the next 12 weeks.

Now I have repaired my motorised satellite TV system,(spare part ordered Sunday arrived Monday mid-day, government take note.)

I can travel the World from my chair.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Sunshine, may I recommend you swap whatever dog you've got for something aggressive-looking and snarly with a two-metre leash?   Social distancing fixed!

This thread has just effectively reminded me again about how lucky I am in respect of something I don't usually consider myself lucky about - not having a partner.  It must be difficult for those with partners being concerned for them as well as themselves. 

My mood is low, but then it wasn't brilliant to begin with.  I hope it won't sound too naff but I'm not terribly fussed if I die of this.  On the other hand, I don't want to get a bad case of it and survive with reduced lung function, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life guilt-tripping about harming others.  So ideally, catch it mildly, realise pronto I've got it, self-isolate completely, recover and be safe myself and around others.

That's part of why I have a very strong sense that not only is this stressful for almost everyone, but also the stressors are different for each of us.  I've a friend who's just had a grandchild.  The baby spent its first two months on some sort of baby ventilator.  It's ok, but all the family was worried about a baby with weak lungs in a hospital.  And of course, visiting was a problem, not so much in terms of not seeing baby, but in terms of not supporting/hugging its mum.  All those times I've felt sorry for myself not having children & grandchildren don't take away my appreciation of how for my friend, it's her children (ranging from sixth form to, I think, thirties) and grandchildren that are the worry.

As for nose symptoms, I'm not a happy bunny if that's now on the list.  I have  hay fever, which is worse this year than for some years now because my valproate, which I take as a mood-stabiliser, but which also happens to be immunosuppressant, has been reduced.  Some symptoms are easy to spot, e.g. walk down certain roads and runny nose hits as I walk past certain gardens.  Predictable spots even if I'm not entirely certain which plants are the problem.

I also have a year-round tree-mould sensitivity, worse in damp, windy weather (carrying spores)  and that shows in symptoms usually worst overnight and first thing in the morning.  (Wake with tongue coated like candida, amber snot in back of nose, slightly wheezy, cough a bit when I get up and about, then ok.)  If symptoms flare up in the day, I can map them onto that depending on how dry my eyes are and where I've been when. 

Anyway, as I type that, I realise that if I can monitor occasional, brief coughing, mapping onto getting up, going in certain places at certain times and other symptoms, I can monitor nose snot the same way.

Having said that, maybe another smile at daft Sunny.  You see, I usually have plenty of the plain, rectangular (cheap) face-masks to wear in bed in the late summer and autumn when my tree mould allergy is at its worst, but I used them all up.  I've been keeping a vague eye open for them for months, i.e. since about September, long before I knew anyone might want them for infection purposes.  I wanted them for allergy purposes.  If I'd made more of an effort to hunt for them rather than just keeping an eye open and thinking that I must remember to make an effort to get some before summer, I'd have a large supply now.

JLR2

Sunny, your remark there, "...windy weather (carrying spores)"  had me thinking about my experience today when visiting a bank branch. There were a few folk out side queuing with everyone observing the 2mtr rule but given the flippin' gale that was blowing I had the feeling we should increase the 2mtrs quite a bit. There's been no advice about how far these virus's can be carried on the wind.

My banking issue was an utter nightmare, the amount of euros I was looking to deposit ran into the 000's and whilst the guy in the bank said he could do this he prevaricated so much it unreal. All the time I was conscious of those waiting outside as there was only 2 allowed into the branch at a time. I had to do my best to explain where I had obtained all these euros and told him I had accepted a loan from my friend in Germany. He then when into a diatribe about how I should have asked my friend to do this electronically rather than in cash. At the end of my visit I told him to cancel the whole thing and simply return the money to me, which he did.

The guy was talking about this transaction taking up to 4 days to be completed as there were other procedures and further questions that would have to be gone through. I said no thanks to all that as I wanted to be able to make a payment (reducing my mortgage) and not have this money sitting in my account where it would to all intents and purposes be available for me to access. I will return the money to Germany as the purpose of the loan can not be realised and therefore there is no reason for me to keep the money here. Honestly the guy at the bank was pathetic, I did notice the expression on his face when I explained my circumstances and the limits they place on what cash/savings I can hold, the look on his face was to say, "Ah ha, got you"!

So now I'll look to see what options I can find for sending this money back to Germany securely.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
My understanding is that the virus is not airborne but travels on small droplets so I suspect the wind won't have much effect.

Regarding the bank process, it seems quite possible that the money laundering rules are causing you a problem. Any large deposit is open to suspicion.  A bank loan from Germany with documentation may not have been too much of a problem, but I doubt your friend would have the required credibility without further investigation. I think your solution is best.

JLR2

Hello Oldtone, I had a look at Barclays but that would involve me going down to Perth to open a current account and various other bits of rigmarole so I'll have to settle for taking it back when I'm able to visit again. Meantime it'll stay as it is (non UK currency)  if my reckoning is correct I am within the limits for having access to cash/savings.