Author Topic: Just a question  (Read 204 times)

JLR2

Just a question
« on: 06 Apr 2020 06:34AM »
As I woke up this morning a wee question, sort of tongue in cheek like, crossed my mind, what are the chances of someone at the hospital where Johnson is being treated hanging a DNR notice on his bed?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Just a question
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2020 12:03PM »
Hmm I don't know what to say ......

Okay so I actually hope Boris lives because it would be a really bad time to change Prime Minister, also if he is dead alot of the blame for the wrong decisions will be dumped on him. It takes a village to raise a child and it takes a cabinet to mess up a countries response to a pandemic.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2020 03:34PM »
Well I've read online that some people are taking the government's line on prioritising who gets to go on a ventilator on the basis of survival chances as amounting to writing off disabled people, whereas others are saying that that's not what it means.  However, lets consider the possibility that disabled people have a lower priority.

Hang on, what's this got to do with Boris?  Well, whilst I appreciate that it's often considered a bit dodgy, bad form even, to try to diagnose mental conditions in other people outside the context of a clinical setting, I have long ago formed the opinion that Boris shows signs of problems with those aspects of thinking that relate to decency, morals etc.  'Don't give a toss about other people unless I will personally gain from it' disorder, maybe?  Possibly a significant degree of 'ethical disability'?

So how should that be prioritised?  If his moral compass is already awry, what state would it be in after being on a ventilator?  Is he worth saving?

I suppose the answer will come down to whether the staff think their jobs are worth keeping.

I'm with Sunshine on this as to desirability.  I'll add something - martyrdom.  I don't want him to become a martyr.

Meanwhile I can fantasise about his being saved and being so incredibly grateful to the NHS that he'll throw his weight behind supporting it after the pandemic is over.  Hmmm.  Bit out of character?  He might do it if he thought he could base his image on it. Ah, but what about his corporate friends? Oh well, I can dream, can't I?  I'm suffering from a nasty bout of 'please, please give me little smidgeons of hope' disorder'.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2020 05:17PM »
"Meanwhile I can fantasise about his being saved and being so incredibly grateful to the NHS that he'll throw his weight behind supporting it after the pandemic is over."

Sadly I think your fantasy will remain just a fantasy my thinking this is based on David Cameron's behaviour re the DWP's DLA which as we all know now he claimed on behalf of his wee boy. So long as Cameron's son remained alive Cameron was mad keen on DLA and then about 20 minutes after the wee lad passed away so did Cameron's interest in the welfare of anyone unfortunate enough to be reliant on the benefit.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2020 06:11PM »
When Cameron's son died and I read what he wrote/said about it, I formed an opinion that I still hold.

He said something about his son being better off dead. That's a rough paraphrase - I don't remember the actual words.

I rather thought then that that was his way of coping with his son's death.  It wasn't a tragedy for his son or a failure on the part of Cameron or the state, it was a blessing in disguise.

That, I believe, shifted his views.  I don't think it triggered all-out 'bump-'em-off' euthanasia views, but in its practical effects, it was well up that curve.

But then I think there have also been politicians who were disabled in one way or another who had an attitude of "Well, I'm disabled and I've made a successful, independent career for myself, so why can't they?" 

I think it's very, very hard to get anywhere in politics unless you've got a strong streak of hardness, and unless you're able to switch off to a lot of nasty stuff.  Otherwise, how would you cope with the morass of international politics?  Which dictators to align with and not align with in a world where, in effect, you have to pick sides? 

Incidentally, random thought about politics and doing good - I think the little crumbs of welfare that came in after WW1 arose from fear by those in power that we could have a revolution here just as had happened in Russia.  Cynical experienced killers are, collectively, dangerous for government.  Quick, let's have an army pension.

NHS etc.  Hmmm. After WW2, lots of trained, cynical killers, at risk of questioning what it was all for. Countries re-aligning. Some countries still dodgy.  Give them free healthcare and a few other things to keep them happy.

Sorry, cynical as ever.  Nevertheless, I'm still going to hope that whatever comes of the covid pandemic, our government will feel the need to appease the populace in some way.  Even little improvements would be better than nowt.

I'm sitting alone, ruminating, staying awake most of the night, feeling lost after making so much effort to get out and meet people last year and now not doing so.

Let me fantasise.  Don't mention it to any psychiatrists, though.  It surely has to be close to textbook delusional to think this government mightn't keep moving further and further rightwards. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2020 08:05PM »
I hope Boris pulls through this OK, agree with Sunshine that this is so not the best time for a new PM.. This coronavirus is certainly not discriminatory in who it attacks, that's for sure. 

Also if the worst happened to Boris, I think it would be really unsettling for the population in general who have put all trust in him and the Government to get us through this - though on the other hand it might hammer home to some of the selfish bastards who insist on flouting the lockdown rules that nobody, including their precious little selves, is immune by virtue of age or whatever.

...I'm still going to hope that whatever comes of the covid pandemic, our government will feel the need to appease the populace in some way.

I'd imagine it would be very hard after all this is over for the Government to row back spending on the NHS without losing a very substantial proportion of supporters..

>edited for typo
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2020 08:06PM by KizzyKazaer »

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 06 Apr 2020 09:20PM »
Sorry Kizzy but this government will have no hesitation in selling off what remains of the NHS telling the country we need to pay off the debt caused by the virus. The only thing that Johnson cares about is himself. I dread to imagine the Johnson we'll see if he survives.