Author Topic: I'm not sure  (Read 164 times)

JLR2

I'm not sure
« on: 10 Apr 2020 10:22PM »
I'm beginning to get a bit worried about the problem I'm having with my right shoulder. The incident that saw me taken to the hospital in Berlin happened on the 6th of March and I've now been back home since the 20th and yet the pain is still making itself felt, and not too mildly. If you can imagine going from very slight discomfort as you sit back in your seat to having the feeling someone behind you just put their hand on your shoulder and is tightening their grip on it to the point you have to sit back again whereupon the grip is lessened well that's how my shoulder is feeling.

What I'm unsure about is contacting my GP's surgery to ask him to look at it. With all GP surgeries being understandably busy and concerned about the virus I'd feel like awkward if they told me not to bother them till my arm had fallen off. It even makes trying to sleep difficult so I find myself pretty much staying up quite late in the hope I'll be tired enough to fall asleep as quickly as possible.

Sunshine

Re: I'm not sure
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2020 08:30AM »
I had a telephone consulation with my GP the day after the lockdown started and she said we (meaning the the GPs and staff) are or still here we are just working in a different way. At this point I don't know if is possible to schedule an appointment but they do triage for immediate issues. My advise is give your GP practise a call and see what they say.

I don't remember reading about 'the incident' did you have a fall or something. From experience I do know shoulder pain can get worse before it gets better. It hurts more as it mends especially if it is being used less because it stiffens up. I do feel for you JLR shoulder pain when a person has mobility issues is so much worse.

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2020 12:40PM »
Sunshine the incident in Berlin happened early in the morning when I felt a sharp pain which caused my to wake and I found my right hand had gone limp, like dead, it was just flopping around with no strength and cold to touch. After some minutes warmth returned but the fright of what I saw had me calling for help from my friend who decided best thing was to call the local emergency GP number and the GP advised our calling an ambulance and my getting to a hospital. The ambulance guys said they felt I should be seen at a hospital, having deemed my situation an emergency. I'm lucky to have had both my EHIC card with me and travel insurance in place so I will not face the 300+ euro charge for the ambulance :-)

The shoulder is still causing me problems today and as I was saying in an earlier posting it is strange how depending on how I am sitting the pain makes itself felt. Another way to describe how this pain comes on when I sit with my head and shoulders forward of my hips would be to ask you to imagine you've just turned on your hot water tap in your kitchen sink and the cold water sitting it the tap giving way to the hot water coming through the pipes, well that's how my shoulder and neck feels the pain coming on and just as your hot water tap will become ever hotter the pain I feel gets more and more painful till I can no longer bear it and have to sit back for a while till the pain subsides. It's not anything life threatening but sure as 'eck it is painful.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2020 02:52PM »
Please take it as potentially serious, JLR. 

I wrote a long screed on why,  but actually you don't need me to tell you so I deleted it.  

Please look after yourself, don't simply do the blokey stiff-upper-lip thing.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)