Author Topic: Is anyone getting the government food parcels?  (Read 406 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Is anyone getting the government food parcels?
« on: 22 Apr 2020 11:39AM »
I am just wondering if anyone is getting the promised government food parcels for those at serious risk and in lock down?

SteveX

Re: Is anyone getting the government food parcels?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2020 06:48PM »
Nothing for me, not even a letter.  zip
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2020 08:33PM »
Hi
as usual it depends on where you stay.  There are several different groups - There's the over 70's who have been told to self isolate, the shielding group who have been instructed to self isolate and the other group who have health conditions and probably should isolate.

In Scotland to get the Scottish government parcels you have to have received a letter from the chief medical officer and this letter tells you to send your CHI number with the words 1BOX to a dedicated text number, you should get an acknowledgement text and in 7 days get a food parcel from the Scottish government.  if you have this letter and don't want the free food but want a preferential shopping slot you send a text SHOP1 to a different number.

IF you don't have the letter you phone the national assistance line and I think its a specific number depending on which council you are in, the call handler will take your details and if you need a food parcel or prescription uplifted.  That gets emailed to a central team who then arrange the food parcel or arrange for your meds to be delivered. Anyone can call this line but Im not sure what services are being provided cos I just get the complaints as well as the referrals.

If you think you should be on the shielding list then you need to speak to your medical team as its an NHS decision not a council or government decision.

I've had complaints of "not enough food" "i dont like this food" "I want fruit, cereal, tins, bread and milk not chicken mash and gravy"  - I have to think this call is being recorded so dont say what your thinking.

I hope you all get the help you need

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2020 09:27PM »
I was reminded reading your post there Monic of the cases of mince and stew that were made available to those on low incomes and benefits years back when the EU decided to reduce the size of their food mountains, wonder if there's any of that stuff left?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020 12:55PM »
I received two boxes before finally managing to stop them. I'm mostly recovered from eating disorders but there are still things I don't eat and over half of the contents in the box I wouldn't be able to eat. I did take the fruit, tins of soup, biscuits (despite never normally eating biscuits), shower gel and the single loo roll. The white potatoes and sliced bread went in the bin sad to say. The tins and UHT milk and cereal were bagged up and someone collected them from my doorstep and took them to the foodbank for me a few days later which is great. I wish that I had been contacted and been asked whether I needed them because I had been accepted as vulnerable by a supermarket to get deliveries so wasn't in need. But I have managed to stop them now. I found the first large abandoned cardboard box outside the front door when it was bucketing down with rain. I dragged the soaked box towards the front door, managed to get an edge of the box over the threshold then dragged it indoors. The back pain was so bad that I cried. I took two maximum doses of Morphine that day and as I cried it occurred to me that this wasn't the government's intention! Obviously their intention is to help. And much as I am grateful for the intention and the care, I wasn't grateful for the boxes that I didn't need or the pain they caused me.

Monic1511

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2020 08:55PM »
Well on Friday I got a call to say that the boxes of food that had been delivered had been stolen, the recipient couldn't lift the boxes and when her neighbour went to help the boxes were gone

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2020 09:27PM »
I hope the nasty little thief chokes on the food... Though they probably won't eat it, I can imagine they'd sell it on to make some sort of a profit.  This Covid-19 crisis does indeed bring out the best in some and the worst in others - though thankfully the better folks seem to be in the majority.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2020 06:26PM »
I personally think that this was another of the typical Tory knee-jerks, A god idea, but poorly thought through.

It most probably went something like this:

Minister: Good idea, let's put some of these disabled types on a register so that the panic buyers who could quite easily get to and from the supermarket in their cars don't take all the delivery slots.

Civil Servant: Good idea sir, which disabled should get it?

Minister: Well, those with compromised immunity systems.

Civil Servant: OK, so that includes people who have some part of their immunity system removed.

Minister: Ohh, no, I've written a list of conditions, well, at least the ones tht Tory donrs have, so that should cover the scroungers too!

Civil Servant: But, sir, my cousin does not have a spleen and is vulnerable to infection.

Minister: So, are there no DNR forms in hospitals?  What if they should die?  It will just decrease the surplus population and leave more vaccine for the richest people in the country when we get one.

(Thank you Charles Dickens for the inspiration for the last bit)

Stupidity of this government policy, my son-in-law gets the "preferential delivery slots" because he's taking a specific medication for psoriasis, me sitting here with no spleen and at risk from lung infections has to go to the supermarket for his shopping because thirty-somethings with cars can't be bothered to get off ther couches!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2020 07:07PM »
Over the last few hours I've been thinking about the symptoms of Covid19 and what the government's advice is telling folk to do should they experience any of these symptoms.

If I've understood the advice correctly it is to self isolate for 2 weeks, and then what?

Well that's the bit I was wondering about, does the government want folk to self isolate for these two weeks and then if, and only if, the person self isolating hasn't died contact a doctor?  I just cannot find (anywhere) advice on what you are suppose to do if you're still alive after your two weeks in isolation. If the virus hasn't killed you whilst in isolation does the government mean to claim you will not die from it in week 3/4/5? 

Suppose the government is thinking in the same manner about heart attacks, if you suspect you've experienced a heart attack wait 2 weeks and if you've not suffered a second major heart attack just take it that you had bad indigestion, maybe a coroner will write that on the death certificate, at least it'd keep the deaths recorded numbers low something Johnson and Co would appreciate.

huhn

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2020 09:10AM »
here is also support , but i do not know,who gets it.looks like you get it when you do not need it

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2020 02:24PM »
Yes one left on Doorstep Yesterday. 1 loaf bread,2 litres long life milk.
10 oranges,4 Small Body Wash. Rice, Tins soup.Tin of rice pudding.
Big bag of potatoes, Tinned Meat Pie. Bag of Pasta, Jar Pasta Sauce.
Tin Spam,  Toilet roll (large), Wagon wheels, Large carton Fruit juice, Plus some other things I can"t remember !!

Some will be given to neighbour as I am Lactose and Gluten Intolerant.

(post edited to remove strange instructions from Frances' computer! - KK)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020 06:45PM by KizzyKazaer »

SteveX

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2020 06:40PM »
I'm not getting a thing myself, never have.   Things did get a bit desperate here and a couple of weeks ago I simply had to risk getting a taxi into town and back as I needed money from my post office account to buy some shopping online and my local PO closed last year so have to make a 2 mile trip into town now.   Hated it and I was on edge every second I was in the cabs.   Don't mind saying that if I have been given some basics and bread and milk I would not have had to risk myself.
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2020 08:43PM »
Steve
Phone the local authority and ask if they are providing food parcels for people who are shielding, self isolating etc.
In my area once you register it takes 7 days for food to start being delivered and deliveries are left outside your door
The info to register is personal details, your NHS reference number, GP practice, which chemist deals with your prescriptions and if you have any allergies, don't want to give you wheat if you are allergic to it

The food is free which is why a lot of people are registering and some are asking how they pay which is when we tell them its free.  

If you don't ask you wont get unless you are already known to a service like social work.
>dove< 
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020 10:47AM »
Well on Friday I got a call to say that the boxes of food that had been delivered had been stolen, the recipient couldn't lift the boxes and when her neighbour went to help the boxes were gone
:-( >steam<  oh my gosh how can people live with themselves?!

It's not just me that can't lift them then.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2020 10:57AM »
here is also support , but i do not know,who gets it.looks like you get it when you do not need it
Well, these people do need food supplies taken to their door. But some of those people (me et al) have managed to get that need met themselves so do not need the government boxes and they're being delivered anyway. Though I have successfully stopped my delivery now. It was a good idea and no doubt possibly saved lives. I just think a system of finding out if the recipients had managed to access food themselves before they delivered these boxes could have been possible.