Author Topic: Rationing  (Read 547 times)

JLR2

Rationing
« on: 29 Apr 2020 04:00PM »
I've just had a call from my GP surgery in which I've been told that one of the items on my repeat prescription cannot be provided. The item is the 500ml of Hibiscrub I get once a month. Apparently the chemist that fills my prescription cannot get obtain any as it is all being supplied to hospitals.

I had phoned the surgery to ask if there was something else they could prescribe for me whilst the hibiscrub was, as it were, out of stock but I've been told there isn't anything that is felt to be as good for treating my lupus/skin problem. So I'll have to ration what I have left. To think during the Brexit debates we were hearing about there being shortages of medications and being told by government no to worry as they'd see to it that such shortages didn't happen.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Rationing
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2020 09:09PM »
There is  a lot to say on this but for now I am thinking of an individual solution. May look at getting some from a Vet site eg https://www.vetsend.co.uk/hibiscrub/?search=Hibiscrub. It seems expensive but needs must etc.

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2020 09:28PM »
Thanks Sunshine. I was thinking (I do that sometimes) I might see if I can find the contact details of the folk who make the Hibiscrub in the UK and ask if they could spare 500ml >biggrin<

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2020 11:49PM »
Well that's me got that wee job done, I've just fitted one of these lever action soap dispensers in my bathroom. It has a 1ltr bottle and will make washing my hands that bit easier as it's like those you'll see in a hospital setting. Awe I need noo is the hibiscrub tae fill it  >lol<

Sunshine

« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2020 09:38AM »
I hope you get some Hibiscrub soon  >biggrin<

Speaking of DIY  one thing that quickly went out of stock/low stock was emulsion paint. We have a lobby area that has needed repainting in a dark colour for ages, it gets dirty quickly because of the dogs and I can't clean it everyday. Anyway I needed bathrrom/kitchen paint and ended up buying dark pink hehe. Painted a test area so far and I like it  >biggrin<

One of the biggest type of rationing has been delivery slots and company's like Wickes had no slots for a long time then the slots they had were a month away. Hmmmmffff

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2020 11:30AM »
Hi Sunshine, would it be an idea to use a piece of maybe clear sheet plastic over the areas most dirtied by your pets?  Something Perspex like. I've just come off the phone to the Co-op customer dept where I was not in a good mood. I drove through to a village up the road from where I live as my local Co-op I doubted would have what I was looking for in stock and found they didn't have any in stock either. The product? Raisins, I was told in the other village store they were being sold out because of the virus. Aye right folk have developed a sudden fetish for raisins because of the virus, maybe they believe it is a cure to it  >steam<

If I want to have half a chance of getting hold of any raisons I'll have to make a 40 round trip to the nearest Tesco. How on earth can a retailer the size of the Co-op not manage to restock its stores properly after all they do have the hand held computer technology to let their warehouse depots know what stock needs replacing. The whole episode has me really wound up, I simply do not believe it >steam<  >steam<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2020 04:09PM »
The raisin shortage is because of the home baking epidemic, all the kids are being distracted by cake making, very little flour anywhere  >doh<

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2020 08:16PM »
Thanks Monic, I hadn't thought of that aspect and now that you have mentioned it I can understand better. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to fly off the handle at things.

Sunshine

« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2020 08:30AM »
Perspex is a good idea but I lean on the wall to get from the sitting room to kitchen when I am on my feet.

Raisin shortages yes Monic is right, and I heard a couple of weeks ago a bag of flour was up on Ebay for 9. you being in the Highlands is going to make it even more difficult for the shops to restock and as you say 40 mile round trip for you to get to a big supermarket.

I did a bit of a stupid thing which made sense at the time. After the first few weeks it became possible for me to get a shopping delivery every week which has been great given Mr Sunshine's mental state. Each shopping I bought two types of potatoes to make sure I got at least one because previous orders had allsorts missing because it was out of stock. You guessed it I had 8 large baking potatoes sprouting and ready to grow. Unfortunately I could not plant them because the dogs would dig them up so into the bin they went  :-( I can be such a divvy.

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2020 04:26PM »
What do you want to do ?
New mail
Copy
If they are sprouting you can break of the sprouts and use the potatoe or even soak them for a little while before taking off sprouts and they will plump up again and be quite useable for mash.
You can tell I was brought up on a farm !!

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2020 06:07PM »
I'm no'long back from the supermarket, the 40 mile round trip completed >biggrin< , and would you believe it they're full of raisons. Still I could see those local to me doing the home baking. I'm just happy now that the wee blackbird that met me this morning as I left the house, and followed me round to where I've the car in front of the house, met me when I returned and I was able to put out some raisons for it :-)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2020 06:58PM »
>biggrin<  You have made the local wildlife happy again, glad you had a successful trip.
I don't like this once a week and not out again shopping, I over buy the choccy, have lots of fruit that I intend to eat but it goes off and I hate wasting it - freezer is full because once its in the freezer its out of sight out of mind, I rediscover it 12 months later  >doh< 

Re planting potatoes - my dad did this and when it was a bigger potato with several eyes on it he'd cut it up before planting it and you'd get 4 plants from 1 spud.

I like growing totties in a bucket as its easier to deal with than my massive garden

I often eat totties that have had eyes - just break them off and cook as normal.

JLR2

« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2020 08:09PM »
"I often eat totties that have had eyes - just break them off and cook as normal."

Me too, I just hate them looking at me >biggrin<   Good tips about using a bucket for growing the totties, I'll keep that in mind >thumbsup<

Somehow I don't think we are alone in this seeing food going to waste as we discover it ages after putting it into our cupboards or freezers. I've a really bad habit of doing this. I've always the best of intentions when I buy the stuff but just as you were saying Monic, once it disappears into storage it's forgotten.

One of my distractions as it were is the square sliced sausage I get from my local butcher, when I have some sitting in my fridge I'll have like the 6 slices of bread and 3 sausages and that's me for the day and because I buy it in the stick for slicing at home I tend to have a lot of it. My trouble is in having the sausage I tend not to get through the rest of the food I have sitting in the freezer >doh< 

Another form of food I see myself not making best use of is the fruit I buy, sure I have such as my bananas on a hook hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen alongside the 3 tier hanging baskets with apples and oranges and only now and then I spend the little bit of time it takes to slice the bananas to mix with my breakfast mix though when I do this I usually use the orange juicer to add their juice with the milk, good hanging there. Guess I'm just beyond lazy, besides they look nice hanging there >lol<

Sunshine

« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2020 05:14AM »
Thank you Frances, I did not know about soaking potatoes in water to plum them out.I need to remember that.

We cooked a whole roast chicken yesterday with potatoes Mr Sunshine said they count as veg >whistle<

I love the idea of wild birds that make friends with humans. Birds do scare me though. I glad you have raisins for you wee friend.

We have a lot of chips in the freezer so no rationing there. Speaking of rationing the dogs have taken some of my sleeping quota. I have been up since 4am because one was crying to be out. He was probably worried that he was going to be blamed for the death of one toilet roll dismembered all over the sitting room. They are both sleeping now and I am wide awake.

JLR2

« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2020 06:19AM »
"....one toilet roll dismembered all over the sitting room."

Clever pups you have there Sunshine, what better hint could you have been given >biggrin<