Author Topic: Lock down cravings  (Read 209 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Lock down cravings
« on: 30 Apr 2020 08:47AM »
It may seem silly but what I am really missing is petting dogs, I don't own a dog, but there is a footpath runs by my home and in usual times I can (unless it tries to bite my arm off,) pet passing dogs.
I can't do that now.

JLR2

Re: Lock down cravings
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2020 09:36AM »
Like yourself Lankou I too don't have a dog or any other pets but when I'm out and when such as going into my local Co-op if there's a wee dog I'll pet it or at least say hello to it. The nearest I have to a pet just now is a wee blackbird which flies to my door when it sees me leaving or returning to the house as I have a small tub of raisins that I keep for them.

The other pet of sorts is the seagull, well actually I think it's the offspring of a seagull that became quite friendly last year, following the seagull I came to name as Henrietta having a couple of gulls of her own and my feeding bread scraps to them, it too appears to follow me when I'm going or coming back to the house.

The wee blackbird really is cute in that it just about wants to land in my hand, it's a nice feeling to find a wee bird feeling it can trust you to do it no harm.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2020 09:29PM »
A friendly seagull?  That makes a nice change, all we normally hear about are the birds in full-on aggressive mode...

I like the thought of the tame blackbird  >thumbsup<

Regarding the things we might miss during the lockdown, mine is just being able to walk straight into a food shop  >erm<  It goes to show how much we take for granted!  What are others' 'lockdown cravings'?

Sunshine

« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2020 09:47AM »
Lovely thread so far  >thumbsup<

For a long while I missed Fish and Chips and we did not have any for about three weeks until the chippy we use started doing online ordering for pick up. Best meal I have had in ages.

I miss being able to go up to the woods, every Spring it becomes a sea of bluebells.

Being unable to pet other people's dogs is probably going to linger after the lockdown. I hope dog owners remember to be kind and have empathy.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2020 09:57AM »

Being unable to pet other people's dogs is probably going to linger after the lockdown. I hope dog owners remember to be kind and have empathy.

My neighbour who lives behind me has a very "enthusiastic" and very large dog so even before being under "house arrest." I had to be careful around it.

SteveX

« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2020 06:40PM »
Craving?  Fishcakes!
nope. I do not mean those vile round things filled with mush that most people consider fishcakes.
I mean proper Yorkshire fishcakes, you get two thick slices of potato, put some fish (always Haddock) between the slices and deep fry it in batter.  They are just heavenly.

like this:
http://www.keefcooks.com/yorkshire-fishcake-sheffield-fishcake-recipe

Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2020 08:16PM »
Chocolate.  Near the end of the week I get cravings cos I have run out of anything chocolatey.  The nearer the time to next go to the supermarket it gets the worse the cravings.  So when I do go shopping I buy lots of sweet things as I am so desperate.  I am putting on weight.

Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2020 08:38AM »
My neighbour is frightened of Bran because as she said he sits quietly watching and then suddenly boom barks. He is a big dog who is nervous because we dont get him out enough. Annie loves people but people dont love Annie and her muddy paws.

I think Yorkshire Fishcakes are called Scallops in County Durham where I am from and yes they are yummy.

I bought a box of white chocolate Lion Bar's tsk tsk they are too moorish. I dont know about anyone else but having chocolate in big block bars does reduce my cravings I am not sure why.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2020 12:34PM »
I am missing my grandaughter so much. And the weekly gathering hosted by mental health Chaplains in a café. I had no idea how helpful that was to my mental health until it stopped. It doesn't help that I am shielding and live alone so am totally isolated and it's affecting my mental health massively.

Food wise, just the ability to pop to a shop and buy what I fancied is something I miss. Now I can't have whatever my craving happens to be because I can't just go and get it.