Author Topic: Non-disability German language question  (Read 103 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Non-disability German language question
« on: 08 May 2020 02:14PM »
A question for the people here who speak German (at least two, I think - one mother-tongue, one not???)  My accent is a total mess.  I learnt my German first through French, then through English with an Austrian teacher, then through English with a French teacher, then nattering with mother-tongue German speakers whilst a student in Paris.  I like listening to certain sorts of German songs, particularly Tyrolean.

The thing that bugs me is my Rs.  I instinctively use the sort of Rs I use for French, which are probably out-of-date in France, although some people do use them.  They're guttural, back of throat, with almost no roll/R-sound unless I'm emphasising strongly.  In French, no one seems bothered because enough mother-tongue French people say them that way for it not to jar.

But I've never heard a mother-tongue German-speaking person use that sort of R.  It gives me angst whilst speaking as I try to correct every R.

Please, please, is there any dialect/accent of German as spoken by people who are mother-tongue German speakers anywhere in the world where the Rs are guttural like that so I could just tell my brain it's ok and say them that way?

Otherwise, I'll continue to try to convince myself it really doesn't matter anyway since the rest of my accent is dreadful, too.

(We'll leave aside my 'ch' pronunciation which is erratic, to say the least, but which varies enough between different sorts of German for it not to matter.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

huhn

Re: Non-disability German language question
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2020 04:12PM »
oh my dear ,german is so different from place to place. my swiss cousins  were  thinking that some germans were english but spoke with a very strong dialect. so i give you some samples of german what you maybe did not hear  before.

have fun  with it

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Non-disability German language question
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2020 05:33PM »
I've just listened to two of those and a bit of the other two.  Great fun!  I shall finish listening to the other two soon.  The one with lots of dialects I shall listen to several times.

However, the impression I get is that German varies so much it really doesn't matter too much if I've some foibles.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)