A question about ESA I'm afraid!!!!!! by Jen 17

• 5 Replies

Sunshine

Jen 17 wrote

(Date Posted:12/11/2011 10:02 AM)
   Share to:

My daughter who has just had her baby and has a partner had sent off her ESA50 a few weeks ago, she has now got a letter telling that she has been awarded it without a medical!!!

She is confused as she was on IB at 105.55 a week, she is also getting IS of 30 something a week.
The letter said as she is not being paid until end Nov Beginning of Dec they have included the 10 Xmas bonus.
They said she will be getting 158.75 a week ESA, what we would like to know is as this amount is quite a bit more than 105.55 a week would the IS be included in the ESA from then?

We would be very grateful if anyone can help us.

By the way baby Sam is in the last room before he comes home and is off his oxygen and should be bottle feed this weekend.

Thanks
Jen x

Sunshine

danslatete wrote

(Date Posted:12/11/2011 10:10 AM)

I believe it does!

Great news about the baby ;-)

Sunshine

Loopy_S wrote

(Date Posted:12/11/2011 11:27 AM)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your daughter *may* yet face a medical if my own experience is anything to go by. To be sure one way or another she needs to phone up and ask.
My own case:

Round 1:
ESA50 sent in
Put in support group without medical.

I later learned that this was under the "special rules". I was so sick that I was considered unable to have a medical. However, what they didn't say is that you can only receive ESA for 6 months under these rules.

Edit: special rules don't just apply to terminally ill people. They also cover people too sick to have medicals.

So, 6 months later:
Round 2.
ESA50 sent in.
After a bit of confusion due to lost forms, put in support group without medical.
Then after several weeks received a call up for a medical. It turned out that they look at your ESA50, estimate which group you are likely to be in and put you in that pending your medical. Or, if you are already in receipt of ESA, you continue receiving it at that rate until your medical.
Had medical as a home visit.
Was put in support group. Doctor asked for me to be left in it for the longest time allowed without review.

Regarding the amounts, ESA is the replacement for both incapacity benefit and income support. It includes disability elements such as enhanced and severe disability premiums.
I imagine it should also include premiums for child allowances although can't be sure as that isn't something that affects me.
So now, instead of getting an incapacity payment and an IS top up, she will just get one single ESA payment.

Incidentally, you may have heard about all this issue of ESA only being payable for one year for people in the WRAG from 2013 onwards. This will NOT be the case for your daughter if she is receiving the income support element of it. People who receive the income element don't have a time limit on it. Just thought you would like to know that in case you hear of it and start to worry. ;)

Sunshine

sofie2 wrote

Re:A question about ESA I'm afraid!!!!!!
(Date Posted:12/11/2011 7:04 PM)

"I imagine it should also include premiums for child allowances although can't be sure as that isn't something that affects me."

If you have children, you claim child tax credits now. There's no extra money for children within out of work benefits.

You can't claim IS and ESA. Under IB, you could claim IB and IS if you received DLA and IB was less than the amount the law says you need to live on. Now, any premiums are paid by ESA.

Sunshine

Jen17 wrote

(Date Posted:13/11/2011 8:18 AM)

Thanks everyone who have answered it has helped a lot.

She will be relieved to hear just what the money included, as she has enough on her plate at the mo with the little babe.

She prob got in the support group (not sure myself which one she got in) cos she was expecting at the time and is very poorly with Fibro and M.E so after she recovers from the C-Section and everything then thats when she might have to have the medical, well at least we will be expecting it to happen.

Jen

Sunshine

sofie2 wrote

(Date Posted:13/11/2011 10:15 AM)

If she hasn't done so already, she needs to make a claim for child benefit and child tax credits. If the ESA is their only income, she'll get full tax credits.