rollator with seat? by thekumquat

• 4 Replies

Sunshine

rollator with seat? by thekumquat

• on: 15 Nov 2011 10:36PM
thekumquat wrote

(Date Posted:13/11/2011 2:38 PM)
   Share to:

Just to check I'm using the right terminology - my MIL says a rollator is one of those V-shaped walking frames on wheels, which often has a basket or bag on it.

Mother-in-law wants one, only with a seat on it too. I think I've seen such things but don't know what to look for.
MIL currently walks with two sticks, one of which has four feet for extra stability, and has a folding stool/stick as well that FIL has to carry for her so she can rest when needed. If she had one of these rollators with a seat and a basket then she could go off by herself more and sit down when needed and carry her own stuff.

As the only one in the family who knows anything about any disabilities, and who lives near a medical supplies shop, I've been delegated to get her one for Christmas! Fine by me but I don't want to get something useless.

MIL is also a very large woman, dress size 36-38, so anything for her to sit on is going to have to be very sturdy!
Please don't say 'get her to lose weight then' - the best solution is simply to try and keep her as mobile as possible.

Recommendations? Do such things exist? Can they cope with going on grass as well as pavements and shops? Anything else I need to know?

Many thanks.

Sunshine

Re: rollator with seat? by thekumquat

• on: 15 Nov 2011 10:38PM
see attachment 

happy8

• on: 16 Nov 2011 12:02AM
There are things to consider.   Sturdy is good but heavy is not.   Easy to fold up into car or take on bus is good.   Big wheels get in the way, but they do cushion the jolts on the pavements.   

The majority of seating rollators need the weight to be taken by the hands, but a (rarer) forearm gutter model could be better,  if there is arthritis in hand, wrist, elbow or shoulder.   (However, the lower centre of gravity may be less liable to overturn?)

The height of the seat may be important for a larger person, or one with hip or knee problems.   Struggling up and down from a low seat is often difficult.     (Furniture makers  neglect the opportunity to produce for a large potential market, and public seating providers neglect to make "reasonable adjustment" in this respect )

Yvette

• on: 16 Nov 2011 06:44PM
You can obtain larger rollators for larger people.  The shop would be able to order one in for you.  But as happy says, the height of the seat is important, so maybe you will need to take your mil into the shop with you.

The shop assitants should be able to offer advice on what type of rollator is most suitable if you mil goes in.