The Daily Mail Challenge

• 26 Replies

Sean

• Gold Member

Re: The Daily Mail Challenge

• on: 16 Dec 2011 08:19PM
Lankou, thanks for giving us a link from somewhere other than the Daily Hate, a rag people on Ouch seem obsessed with...oh, and Unum.

DarthVector

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Dec 2011 05:05AM
I find it useful to know what the press are saying about us.

If you're going to complain to people who matter about the press behaving badly, you have to have examples to point to. I know for a fact that JLRRAC and I have made submissions to the Leveson Inquiry about the way that the press have been misrepresenting disabled people who claim benefits. There are almost certainly other people here who've done the same.

There are other uses as well. Meridi collects examples of hate crimes for her campaign work, and many of us first learn of the latest cut via articles that have been flagged up on OuchToo. One recent example would be the people here who have been complaining to Motability about their new named driver restrictions.

Knowledge is power. Keep the press links coming, please.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 Dec 2011 01:05PM
I am glad I started this thread because it has got people thinking about what news we post and why. I think Darth makes a good point when he mentions the way we had threads on the changes to Motability and it was important that what the Daily Mail was saying was flagged up. We also had stories about howo the government and the daily Mail skewed the statistics to make in sound like 100,000 of people who did not get ESA were skivers and scoungers when in fact they won ESA on appeal.

I think the thing for me is I dont want to be coming on board and seeing a bunch of threads based on the Daily Mail and how awful it is, and not see threads quoting other newspaper articles and other sources of news.

Hossy, said she reads the Daily Mail and the Guardian, and this is what I have been trying to say.

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 18 Dec 2011 09:07PM
The only paper I buy is the Mirror.

Online, I read the Mail, Telegraph, Independant, Guardian and the New Statesman. Plus local papers that often come up in links on forums. And some papers local to where I live.

Many of the articles I post links to are often in most of the other papers. The fact that I post links to the DM articles is because the DM is an easier online paper to read.

I am not political, I have been a member of a Trade Union, even though members of my family have had problems with them.

If I am doing something wrong on this forum please let me know and I will cancel my registration.

As far as I know freedom of speech has not yet been banned. By government or unions.

Murphy and I thank you.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 18 Dec 2011 09:23PM
Meandmurphy,

I apologise for the way things went today because I think me starting this thread because I wanted to see other newspapers and website being quoted here on Ouch Too and a reduction in DM articles was taken by some to mean I wanted people to stop posting DM articles altogether. This was not my intention and while I made further replies to this thread I should have made it clear that DM threads were not to become the focus of unwanted attention and complaining.

I am sorry.
Sunshine

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !

• on: 19 Dec 2011 05:44AM
Help.. am i missing something I dont see a hypothetical scenario on this thread ?????????????
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

hossylass

• on: 19 Dec 2011 09:54PM
OK, for balance, here is an interesting article about someone we have all heard of (probably), and most of us admire;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2011/dec/19/disability-benefit-cuts-sue-marsh-outrage

Sofie

• on: 19 Dec 2011 10:08PM
How wrong is that the article doesn't surprise me one bit?

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 20 Dec 2011 09:33AM
OK, for balance, here is an interesting article about someone we have all heard of (probably), and most of us admire;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2011/dec/19/disability-benefit-cuts-sue-marsh-outrage

Sorry, I don't get this thread . This article mentions the Daily Mail.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Dec 2011 11:25AM
Myrtle,

There was a problem over on a few threads on the Talk board and I asked people to bring discussion about the use of Daily Mail articles to this thread.

Meandmurphy,

Articles in papers like the Guardian can balance  out the anti benefits scrounger articles that we see in the Daily Mail. If no one else uses the Guardian link that Hossy posted to start a new thread I will probably do that later :-)

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 20 Dec 2011 11:59AM
So are we talking about any DM articles or DM benefit cheat type articles?

I know the DM doesn't report the benefit cheat articles properly, but the articles I've linked to are disability related news, or non news items ( depending on the readers views of course )

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Dec 2011 02:15PM
Meandmurphy,

It is okay to post any articles you find in the Daily Mail.

:-)