Question Time - Again!

• 9 Replies

hossylass

Question Time - Again!

• on: 15 Dec 2011 11:11PM
Oh dear, for those who didn't see it, here's the link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/default.stm

There are two sinners, the judge and author Constance Briscoe and Next boss Lord Wolfson.

Here is a little about Dear Constance;
Constance Briscoe LL.B, MA (born 18 May 1957) is a barrister and one of Britain's first black female Recorders.

Born to two Jamaicans who settled in the United Kingdom in the 1950s, she was one of six children.[1] Briscoe studied Law at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, financing her studies by having several jobs at weekends and during the holidays, including working with the terminally ill in a hospice. She took an MA at the University of Warwick.[2] She was called to the Bar in 1983, and in 1996 became a Recorder, a part time judge - one of the first black women to sit as a judge in the UK. Briscoe's legal practice focuses on criminal law and fraud, principally defending. She also undertakes tribunal work, public inquiries, inquests and acts as President of Mental Health Tribunals.[1]

In the late 1990s, Briscoe was unsuccessfully nominated for a peerage. In 2007 she applied to be made a QC but was turned down.[3]

She is known for her books Ugly and Beyond Ugly in which she claims she was abused as a child and she often talks about her experiences publicly. Her mother, Carmen Briscoe-Mitchell, sued her daughter along with publishers Hodder & Stoughton for libel.[4] The case was concluded in Briscoe's favour, when a civil jury in the High Court unanimously found that the books were not libellous.[5]

So you would have assumed that Dear Constance had a lousy start in life, and being part of a minority, she would be compassionate, and being a judge would be at least accurate.
But how wrong would you be.
This woman is arrogant, ignorant and stupid, and has no good reason to be any of these things.
I personally want her thrown off, thrown out, de-gowned, de-briefed and preferably expelled at high speed from any job that gives her exposure to disabled people.

In short, when answering why she thought that over 60% of people think benefits are too high retaliated as if she had been robbed, and stated some caustic remark about disability benefits being the highest fraud rates.
Lord Wolfson agreed.

I am trying to find a contact for her, and for her bosses.

I am also after Lord Wolfson.

If anyone can find the transcript for QT I would appreciate it - got to get the facts right !

I have a plan of attack to both of these scum bags who went unchallenged on QT.  >devil<

So get cross and help me if you can   >cheerup<

Thanks in advance, I am sure once I get a good arguement together we can force these people to conceed they were wrong, and destroy what little credibility they have.

(I hope you never have her on a tribunal panel, if you have then this demonstration of bigotry should be sufficient for her to be removed - I am determined to have her removed from any position of this type).

DarthVector

• Charter Member

Re: Question Time - Again!

• on: 16 Dec 2011 02:57AM
I couldn't find a transcript, but this version has subtitles, which might make it easier for someone to transcribe:

Link to original BBC web page.

Start the playback, wait for the show proper to start and look at the control bar at the bottom of the iPlayer. You should see a letter 'S' towards the right hand end - click on that and you should get the subtitles.

Unfortunately, I can't do a reliable transcription myself because my hearing loss stops me recognising the voices, so I can't attribute subtitles to an offscreen speaker.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011 03:15AM by DarthVector »

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member

• on: 16 Dec 2011 12:24PM
I watched the programme and Constance Briscoe did make some rather sweeping generalisations, which someone in the law, especially, should never do. When asked to quantify her remarks she rather pathetically mumbled that she was not a politician. She did at least say that people who genuinely cannot work should be supported and that there are plenty such people, which is more than Wolfson did.
Unfortunately my laptop seems to be struggling with playing back anything and keeps freezing so I have not been able to copy down her exact words as yet but I did manage to copy down what Wolfson said (@ 48:35):

"“…..of course, Constance, there are people who play the system, and the system that’s played more than any other, incidentally, is the disability benefits rather than unemployment benefits”  Briscoe nods in agreement.

That ignorant statement by Wolfson annoyed me at the time and it is sad that there was nobody there to correct him with the actual evidence that shows what he said was both unfounded and prejudiced.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011 12:30PM by Ricardomeister »

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Dec 2011 04:06PM
Lord Simon Wolfson said what Ricardomeister quoted above, at which Constance Briscoe nodded in vigorous agreement.
They are both obviously in ignorance of the true figures (<0.5% fraud is "more than other benefits"? I think not!). 
If you can find any way of enlightening them, Hoss, it might give most Ouchers some satisfaction, though I doubt if it will make much impact on the wider circles those particular people mix in. 
He is chief executive of Next, a Conservative peer and son of a Conservative peer. 
She is a barrister & judge (she succeeded without much parental support, so now probably believes anyone can do it if they only try hard); her practice works mainly in criminal law & fraud.

The above was the only mention of disability benefits.
The main talk was all about JSA, how to get people working with asides about housing benefit.  There was plenty about how little extra someone would get moving from JSA to a minimum wage job and how this may act as a disincentive; this mostly from the audience. 

Sofie

• on: 16 Dec 2011 07:12PM
"“…..of course, Constance, there are people who play the system, and the system that’s played more than any other, incidentally, is the disability benefits rather than unemployment benefits”  Briscoe nods in agreement.

According to this post, that's wrong. Ah yes, never let facts get in the way...
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011 08:54PM by Sofie »

Richard_D

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 16 Dec 2011 08:51PM

According to post, that's wrong. Ah yes, never let facts get in the way...

Link does not work.
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

Sofie

• on: 16 Dec 2011 08:54PM
It works now.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Dec 2011 11:17PM
Yup, it does.  A comment has been added - but it dos not yet show up.

lisybabe

• Charter Member
  • Bronze Member
    • Lisybabe's Blog

• on: 17 Dec 2011 05:04PM
A comment has been added - but it dos not yet show up.

We moderate comments for abuse, spam, etc. So there's a wait for one of us to approve it before it appears on the site.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 18 Dec 2011 06:49PM
Thanks for letting me know, lisybabe.