Author Topic: healthy eating - support and advice  (Read 63048 times)

booboo

• Diamond member
healthy eating - support and advice
« on: 30 Dec 2011 07:51PM »
Hi.  I thought I would start a support group to encourage and help those of us who would like a more healthier diet and lifestyle.

Having been overweight for the majority of my life I know how hard it is to start, keep and achieve weight loss.  It was only after my second back operation that I decided to change my eating habits and try and help my body.  I knew I was at least four stone overweight and I had given up trying to convince myself I was happy being that size, that way.  My back discs had been sorted and I knew I could help by reducing the strain I was placing on my back.

I joined weight watchers.  It took time to lose weight.  Others around me seemed to lose weight effortlessly, where I struggled.  Sometimes I would lose, other weeks I would gain, and to be honest I didnt really know why.  All I thought was - keep trying, keep eating healthily and try and make sensible choices.  I experimented.  When stuck at a certain weight I changed what I had been eating as I was tending to eat the same foods.  I listened to what others did, tried to swop lower fat products for those I liked that I wanted to eat.  I looked for good alternatives to high sugar, high fat foods.  Some things worked, others didnt. 

What was constant was I needed support and also found that by offering support to others, I in turn felt and achieved more.

So would anyone like to join me.  To support and be supported in trying to adopt better eating and healthier foods  >love<

Hi, just adding this link here so it doesn't get lost...
Its a chart showing kilos, stones and pounds, so people can get a better idea if they only know their wieght in one format!

http://www.hintsandthings.com/bathroom/weights.htm
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2011 11:17AM by hossylass »

ilovepinkandpurple

Re: healthy eating - support and advice
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011 09:29PM »
me  >rainbow<

booboo

• Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011 09:54PM »
 >hugs< Hi.  Welcome aboard.

Have found it really hard to concentrate and control what I eat as there is just so much chocolate around.  Family members know I struggle but still buy chocs.  My best friend bought me a box of dairy milk and cherry liquers.  Now if there is one thing I simply cant resist its anything with a cherry in or on it. ;-)

A good strategy for me is not to have foods in that I know I just will not be able to resist.  Eating porridge is good for me personally as I find it filling and stops me craving sweet things.  I only make it with water and use a cup as a measure. 

Thats another thing.  Its really easy to get used to having big portions.  I use a cup which I know holds 30 grams of porridge.  It is a very little cup, but if I need more I just have another helping.  Doing it this way enables me to keep some sort of track of my eating.

At weight watchers they encourage you to write down everything that you eat.  That can be q

booboo

• Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2011 10:09PM »
I pressed something that made my message disappear.

What I was going to say is

That can be quite an eye opener.  By writing things down, you see exactly where you can make adjustments or sustitute things that may be lower in calories or a little more healthy.  Portion size is another thing.  I never realised how much I was consuming till I thought about it.  I arent one for exact measurements but I definitely was over doing things and be just cutting back a little bit it really made a difference.  I also tried fooling myself by using smaller plates to put my meals on.  It worked for a bit but then my stuff kept falling off so I resorted back to proper size plates.  I have never been one to leave anything so I try and give myself more veggies or salad which gives the appearance of being a lot for less calories.

I also used to eat whenever I felt hungry but I think I did this when I was perhaps only thirsty.  So I try and have a drink first and if this doesnt fill the gap then I have a little snack.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2011 10:39PM »
I started weight watchers about 5 weeks ago and have gained weight!  I'm one of those people who has to really restrict their calorie intake before any weight is lost, so despite following it to the letter and keeping to the lowest allowable points, my weight is still increasing.  I'm going to keep on trying for another month or so and if I still can't lose weight then I'll have to see my doctor.

booboo

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2011 11:14PM »
Hi Ditchdwellers

It is so frustrating not to lose weight when you join somewhere like weight watchers.  I did count points in the beginning but am not a stickler and find that I do better by just following the filling and healthy options.

Some medicines can restrict weight loss.  I know some tablets I took in the past increased my appetite and I put weight on. 

I follow the filling and healthy option part of the weight watchers plan.

Just a smidgeon of the list is as follows and to be honest they are the foods I take regularly and know work for me.

So for breakfast - filling and healthy options

calorie controlled bread - so you could have toast - be mindful what spread you put on it though and how much
skimmed milk and soya milk -
oats
shredded wheat
eggs
yoghyrts
crumpets fruit
--------------------------- these are all healthy options and I eat porridge made with water, half a grapefruit and have tea with skimmed milk

for lunch

I have tinned toms on cal controlled bread mostly but alt lunch options

baked pots with various fillings - beans/cottage cheese/tuna
pasta
lean meat or poultry
salad with chicken

-----------------these are all filling and healthy options

tea

fish
lean meat or poultry
vegs
sals
quorn soya mince
tofu reg and smoked

---------

Basically you can have these foods pretty much unrestricted at a mealtime without having to count points etc etc

so the list is

beans
dairy - cottage cheese skimmed milk soya milk
yog - greek plain
eggs
cal controlled bread
crumpets
oats
wholewheat pasta
shredded wheat
fish
fruit
sugar free jelly
lean meat and poultry
vegs
quorn and tofu

I mix and match depending on my mood.  But by and large if I stick to these foods I do tend to lose weight and actually feel happier and better for it.  Not so stodged or craving extra sugary things which if I eat choc. I definitely do.  I have no off button when it comes to chocoate.

Would you find any of the above helpful as meal options.

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2011 11:19PM »
i like porridge  >thumbsup< im going to start to eat that in the mornings. i will start writing down what i eat as well  >yikes< i will be in for a shock because you dont think when you are eating stuff during the day

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2011 11:20PM »
 >hugs< ditchwellers

booboo

• Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2011 11:40PM »
Let us know how you get on tomorrow Pink.

Its a little bit exciting I think ......... >hugs<

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2011 12:07AM »
will do  >rainbow<  >hugs<

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2011 09:14AM »
I could definately do with loosing some weight.. I do try to eat sensibly but find will power a big problem. may well try eating porrige ..... When the chocolate i already have is gone , ( yum yum ), may well have to try not having any in the house. I can resist anything but temptation !
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2011 09:31AM »
I have decided to start tomorrow and have it as my new years resolution  >rainbow< 

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2011 09:34AM »
Im not going to call it a new yrs resolution but I do want, as a long term goal to eat better and see if that helps me loose some weight .. i really dont like my body at the moment and think loosing some weight may make me feel better about myself overall
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2011 09:39AM »
I've moved this thread to Disability Q & A as it's too useful a topic to be lost in 'News and Current Affairs'  >thumbsup<

hossylass

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2011 11:23AM »
I think there is a lot to be said for having a drink, water, tea, whatever if you are hungry.
I drink a lot of tea, and am very rarely hungry.

Thirst can make the body believe it needs food, and the liquid will give you a feeling of fullness.