Sue Marsh to appear on Newsnight tonight

• 25 Replies

hossylass

Just being on Newsnigth is good - a big step forward, all that MM says. :)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
For anyone who missed it, here's an iPlayer link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019jcxj/Newsnight_12_01_2012/
The Welfare Reform segment starts at 19m 30s or so, Sue Marsh comes in at about 25m and the segment ends at around 32m 30s.

I think Sue did pretty well, especially in contrast to Chris Grayling. The Newsnight presenter pressed harder than I would like if I'd been on the receiving end, but Sue seemed to field everything, and she was able to get almost all of the important points in. There was noticeably more content in what she said than there was in Mr Grayling's responses.

I'd say Sue came out ahead on points, although I was really annoyed that Newsnight didn't cover the Responsible Reform report. It wasn't Sue's fault, she had her hands full with Newsnight's chosen line of questioning, which didn't leave her with any openings to get the Spartacus campaign in, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the BBC. As far as I could tell, there wasn't one single mention of next week's DLA-related debates in the House of Lords, despite the fact that they're all for the same Welfare Reform Bill, they all affect disabled people and that makes them completely relevant to the Newsnight segment.

Does anyone know what the legal challenge Newsnight referred to is, or even have a link to somewhere I can read about it?
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2012 02:57PM by DarthVector »

lankou

• Charter Member

Does anyone know what the legal challenge Newsnight referred to is, or even have a link to somewhere I can read about it?

Which one, because there are numerous legal challenges to welfare reform and the work programme.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
That's the problem - I don't know what they're talking about.

hossylass

Could be the Government against the Lords, could be the disabled community against the Government - could be the Commons against the consultation process ! I have no idea which one either !

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I agree that Sue did very well with what the BBC gave her to work with. it is a real shame that they didn't allow her to say anything about the Responsible Reform report, or the ongoing Lords debate about the bill. I guess they know which side their bread is buttered...

Prabhakari

Just watched that!

I have a suggestion. There should be a way for people to vote for or against a speaker who is seated in the studio, with a trapdoor under the chair.

If one or other gets a certain percentage of votes that disapprove of the response, the trapdoor opens.... and...............................
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
Ooh, ooh, can I press the button to gunge Chris Grayling?

Newsnight would be so much more fun with a gunge machine.

Prabhakari

I certainly wouldn't mind if you pushed the button. You could be awarded a special medal for services to the disabled.

The plunge could be filmed and the footage put on U===. It would go viral within a day.

How about a tank of ice-cold baked beans?
It would have to be a fair vote, though. Say, one similar to the majority of the current ruling party.

Noisyworld

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Ohhh, gunge tank  >lol< >flyingpig<
Only one problem the first person I'd want to gunge every episode that he's on is...Jeremy Paxman >doh<
It'd be funny but I don't think it would help the programme. It took super-human effort for me to sit through it last night waiting for Sue to do her thing (very well under the circumstances), I don't mind debate I just can't stand arguments so I'm normally >steam< after about 1 minute!

Prabhakari

If all the viewers could vote, then an automatic trigger could be used. We would not all have to be present. And it could be used exclusively for those moments when nothing else would serve.

If they were engaged in a discussion about seaside rock, and what kind of message to put in the rock, that kind of thing would not need a vote.