Crutches for long term use

• 24 Replies

lisa91

• Bronze Member

Crutches for long term use

• on: 28 Jan 2012 02:25PM
Hello all,

I've just found out I'm going to need crutches all the time from now on, and want to get something more colourful and more comfortable than horrible grey NHS crutches. I'm in my 20s and generally dress very colourfully, these grey crutches have really been cramping my style lately! ;-)

My main concern as far as comfort goes is finding something that's easier on my hands. I was looking at kowsky.de, thinking of getting the ones with the anatomic soft grips, does anyone have any experience of these crutches? I'd love to hear some opinions. I really like the look of the ones with both coloured plastic parts and tubes, but unfortunately they only have them with a half cuff and I don't think I'd manage without a full cuff. Can anyone share their experiences of half cuff crutches vs full cuff? I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do anything at all with your hands while standing using half cuff crutches.

I'd love to hear opinions/suggestions on any crutches available online.

Thanks,

Lisa  :-)
"There are two kinds of 'disabled' persons: Those who dwell on what they have lost and those who concentrate on what they have left." - Thomas S. Szasz

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

Re: Crutches for long term use

• on: 28 Jan 2012 02:50PM
Hi Lisa,

I have purple crutches from Cool Crutches:

http://www.coolcrutches.com/?gclid=COmat8v68q0CFcEntAodZTu7tA

I find them comfy to use and quite hard wearing.  I've had mine for about 3 years and they are only now getting a bit tatty (mainly from where I shut them in the car door!).

I prefer a full cuff.  I've tried using half cuff, and found them really difficult.  I need the extra support given from a full cuff. 

There are other crutches around that other Ouchers have used, so wait and see what anyone else suggests before making up your mind!

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 28 Jan 2012 03:01PM
I've also just found the Kowsky crutches you like available with a full cuff from this site:

http://www.chicaidcrutches.co.uk/categories/full-cuff-crutches-325/coloured-luxury-full-cuff-crutches-anatomic-pair--product-3815.htm

lisa91

• Bronze Member

• on: 28 Jan 2012 03:09PM
Thanks for your replies! :) Those coolcrutches seem pretty cool also.

About the kowsky ones - sorry I really wasn't clear in my first post! What I meant is these sort of ones http://www.indeaids.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewitem.php?productid=359 where the whole crutch is coloured don't seem to be available in full cuff - I do like the black ones too though, just not as much! :-)

L
"There are two kinds of 'disabled' persons: Those who dwell on what they have lost and those who concentrate on what they have left." - Thomas S. Szasz

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member

• on: 28 Jan 2012 03:26PM
I'm in the US, but Walk Easy ( http://www.walkeasy.com/ ) was first recommended to me on the old Ouch boards. They're a US company so I don't know what shipping would be to the UK, but they do crutches with everything except the cuff and handle are coloured (the bit between the cuff and handle is coloured) with full cuffs. Walk Easy's crutches are also aluminum so light. The other pair of forarm crutches I have are fairly heavy. I have ergonomic handles on my Walk Easy crutches and I find them substantially better than the normal handles. They only show online what the colours are that they have in stock for each crutch style so you may be able to e-mail them and ask if they might have other colours at some other time if they have a style you like, but not a colour you like.

Personally, I like the black accents of the cuff and handle, but that's just me :-)

Poptimist

• Charter Member
  • Bronze Member

• on: 28 Jan 2012 08:33PM
I bought a pair of Kowsky full cuff crutches from Ebay (Bargain! Cost me 15 including postage!) BUT they are not perfect. I find the hard plastic of the cuffs, and the articulation mechanism of the cuffs less comfortable than my NHS jobs. However, they are lighter, which I prefer.

lisa91

• Bronze Member

• on: 29 Jan 2012 10:43AM
Thanks so much for your replies, all very helpful. :)

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 29 Jan 2012 09:18PM
You could try these Lisa. They take a bit of getting used to though.

http://www.smartcrutch.com/

sherbs

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Jan 2012 08:33PM
I'm in the US, but Walk Easy ( http://www.walkeasy.com/ ) was first recommended to me on the old Ouch boards. They're a US company so I don't know what shipping would be to the UK, but they do crutches with everything except the cuff and handle are coloured (the bit between the cuff and handle is coloured) with full cuffs. Walk Easy's crutches are also aluminum so light. The other pair of forarm crutches I have are fairly heavy. I have ergonomic handles on my Walk Easy crutches and I find them substantially better than the normal handles. They only show online what the colours are that they have in stock for each crutch style so you may be able to e-mail them and ask if they might have other colours at some other time if they have a style you like, but not a colour you like.

Personally, I like the black accents of the cuff and handle, but that's just me :-)

Wheelydad, I got my walking stick from walkeasy, well i have 2 actually, 1 black and one pink, i have had them for about 6 yrs, as i couldnt find any coloured lightweight walking sticks (canes ) in the uk, so ordered them on-line, but must say the postage cost just as much as the stick   >yikes<  but for me it was worth it, very good company and very fast delivery times to the uk

picnic

• Gold Member

• on: 30 Jan 2012 11:12PM
Smart looks good but what weight ?  There is a big u.s.a. firm tom fetterman with a site worth viewing too

At all costs  never use n.h.s with no shock absorbers and no hand cushion if it is to be for a long period

Bear in mind your hands wrists elbows and shoulders were not designed for walking on and will not withstand the task unscathed for years.    Beg borrow or steal to give them all assistance from the best lightest and latest equipment available

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Jan 2012 11:18PM
You could try these Lisa. They take a bit of getting used to though.

http://www.smartcrutch.com/

Jockice, how are you getting on with these?  Was it worth the money?  I'm thinking of trying them out myself.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 31 Jan 2012 05:23PM
Guys, can I hijack the thread and ask about the benefits of a crutch/crutches as opposed to a stick/sticks please?

I have not had any physio input about walking aids, other to suggest that I use a walking pole with 'supsension' rather than an ordinary stick. That has certainly helped reduce the stress on my hand and I seem to squash my ulnar nerve less. I don't think I need a pair of aids at the moment but am wondering whether there would be any advantage in using a crutch rather than a stick.

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Jan 2012 05:50PM
"Jockice, how are you getting on with these?  Was it worth the money?  I'm thinking of trying them out myself."

They're ok, but the way you use them (or at least the way I use them) is slghtly different from using normal crutches. I have to put a lot of weight on them, as the only way I can get up to any sort of speed is by using a skiing motion and hardly using my legs at all, and as it changes your balance a bit it really does take a bit of getting used to. Having said that, I've been using normal elbow crutches for almost 20 years, so it would be bound to be difficult at first.

At the start of the year, the Smart Crutches were out of order for a couple of days, as one of the screws came out, so I had to switch back to the old type. I found that very difficult, but luckily the replacement screw was a standard size, so I fixed them okay.

I'd give a qualified recommendation to them. My body's too weird for any sort of crutch to make any real difference to my general level of disasbility, but they are easily adjustable so may be worth trying. They are also unlike any crutches that most people have seen, so if you get them expect loads of curious looks and questions.

They're fairly light Picnic.

sherbs

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Jan 2012 06:37PM
Guys, can I hijack the thread and ask about the benefits of a crutch/crutches as opposed to a stick/sticks please?

I have not had any physio input about walking aids, other to suggest that I use a walking pole with 'supsension' rather than an ordinary stick. That has certainly helped reduce the stress on my hand and I seem to squash my ulnar nerve less. I don't think I need a pair of aids at the moment but am wondering whether there would be any advantage in using a crutch rather than a stick.

Hurtyback, before you go using an aid, I would get advice from a physio, or perhaps from you GP, if you are feeling wobbly on you legs and do not feel very confident i would assume you do need an aid, best to get professional advice or if you can get hold of a stick have a go indoors first and see how you go   >magicfairy<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 31 Jan 2012 08:20PM
Sherbs, I use a single stick and a physio suggested the 'walking pole' rather than an ordinary stick. I don't see a physio anymore and my GP doesn't have any more knowledge than me (no disrespect, we have worked in the same field for more than 20 years!). I was just wondering what the benefits are of a crutch rather than a stick, if any, for people who do not need to use 2 crutches and 'swing through'.