Moving onto ESA from Incapacity Benefits

• 124 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Hi Angel - you should get the call from JobcentrePlus within a couple of weeks, this is mainly to confirm your identity and give you an opportunity to ask any questions about the ESA transfer.  Once you've been contacted, an ESA50 claim form should be issued to you within a fortnight;  you have a month to complete this. 

WeDesign - regarding UC, it's not 15 pilot areas but 4 (I might have confused it with something else!)  The latest information from the DWP is this:

The Pathfinder will begin in April 2013 to test the core structure, functionality and capability of Universal Credit in a live environment. It will target a small subset of the unemployed population in the North West of England (Tameside, Wigan, Oldham and Warrington).

Existing claimants will gradually be moved over to Universal Credit either as their circumstances change or they will be informed by the Department of their move to Universal Credit. It is expected this process will take until the end of 2017, at which time the migration to Universal Credit will be complete.

So we might have a way to go yet!

WeDesign

• Gold Member
Hi Angel - you should get the call from JobcentrePlus within a couple of weeks, this is mainly to confirm your identity and give you an opportunity to ask any questions about the ESA transfer.  Once you've been contacted, an ESA50 claim form should be issued to you within a fortnight;  you have a month to complete this. 

WeDesign - regarding UC, it's not 15 pilot areas but 4 (I might have confused it with something else!)  The latest information from the DWP is this:

The Pathfinder will begin in April 2013 to test the core structure, functionality and capability of Universal Credit in a live environment. It will target a small subset of the unemployed population in the North West of England (Tameside, Wigan, Oldham and Warrington).

Existing claimants will gradually be moved over to Universal Credit either as their circumstances change or they will be informed by the Department of their move to Universal Credit. It is expected this process will take until the end of 2017, at which time the migration to Universal Credit will be complete.

So we might have a way to go yet!

I have been reliably informed the that:

As I am receiving ESA(CB), having been transferred from IB, I should not be affected by UC as it is only ESA(IR) claimants that will be transferred.

WD

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
You are quite correct, WeDesign - non-means-tested benefits, and Pension Credit, are not in line for conversion to UC.  This is the full list of benefits affected:

income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Income Support
    Child Tax Credits
    Working Tax Credits
    Housing Benefit

The one that's been left out - Council Tax Benefit - is being replaced by a 'system of localised support' - some may have already received a letter from their local authority about this (I have, last summer - from memory, there was a tick-list of benefits received that I had to complete.) Watch this space!

WeDesign

• Gold Member
You are quite correct, WeDesign - non-means-tested benefits, and Pension Credit, are not in line for conversion to UC.  This is the full list of benefits affected:

income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Income Support
    Child Tax Credits
    Working Tax Credits
    Housing Benefit

The one that's been left out - Council Tax Benefit - is being replaced by a 'system of localised support' - some may have already received a letter from their local authority about this (I have, last summer - from memory, there was a tick-list of benefits received that I had to complete.) Watch this space!

I am in receipt of ESA (CB) which is excluded from UC, therefore would I remain on ESA and receive my Housing Benefit?

Seems a bit odd they are doing away with some benefits and not others.

WD

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
UC, like the means-tested benefits we have now, will continue to be paid as a 'top-up' to either wages or other benefits; it's made up of five 'elements':

How is a Universal Credit payment calculated and what does it include?

Universal Credit is made up of a standard allowance and potentially five elements, as any award is based on a claimant’s personal circumstances. The five elements are:

Child Element / Disabled Child Additions

Childcare Element

Carer Element

Limited Capability for Work Element

Housing Element

So you would still receive help with your rent, just under a different name - the UC 'Housing Element'.