Examples of Income Support assessments and awards

• 6 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Example 1

Claimant is over 25 years of age, single without children, lives on their own in a Housing Association one-bedroom flat, and is receiving long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the higher rate for the care component and the lower rate for the mobility component.  They have savings of less than 6,000 and no other sources of income.

The IS assessment starting point is - What is their 'applicable amount'?  This is the maximum amount of IS you can get according to your own individual circumstances.  It's made up of a basic 'personal allowance' and on top of this may be added 'premiums' for disability, carer status, etc.  For the above example, the applicable amount would be made up like this:

Personal Allowance              67.50  (under-25s receive less)

Disability Premium                28.85  (paid if you are getting any rate of DLA, either component, or long-term IB)
Severe Disability Premium    55.30  (paid if you get middle or higher rate DLA care, you live alone and no-one is claiming
                                                           Carers' Allowance for you)
Disability Income
Guarantee                           14.05   (paid if you get higher rate DLA care)

TOTAL                                165.70

From this total, the money that's coming in is deducted.  In this case, it would be the IB only.  DLA is not taken into account as income for IS assessment purposes - you get DLA on top of any IS award

This claimant receives 99.85 IB (long-term with a lower-rate age addition)  So, 165.70 minus 99.85 = 65.85. 
Therefore, the weekly IS award is 65.85.

This claimant will also be paid full Housing Benefit (as they live in 'social housing' where rents are deemed to be eligible for HB purposes entirely) and also full Council Tax Benefit, simply because they qualify for IS - even if the amount payable is as low as 50p per week. 

Please feel free to add other IS-related queries here  :-)
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2012 02:04PM by SunshineMeadows »

Sofie

Severe Disability Premium    55.30  (paid if you get middle or higher rate DLA care, you live alone and no-one is claiming
                                                           Carers' Allowance for you)

To claim this, you don't actually need to be living alone. Everyone who lives with you, must be under 18, registered blind, receive mid or high rate care or Attendance Allowance at either rate.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Beg pardon, I had my ex-IS processor hat on then - we (as processors) define 'living alone' as including the categories you describe there, so I slipped into the old shorthand  ;-)  Will expand on similar terms used in future posts - thank you.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Kizzy,

I had my ex-IS processor hat on then
not so long ago you mention gamekeeper turn poacher  :-)

It looks like having you and Monic here is going to mean we get to understand more than we could just reading general rules. Starting with straightforward examples without twiddly bits is helping me ease into learning more rather than feel overwhelmed with complexity. Of course do complex on other threads when people are asking for help in regard to particular personal circumstances.

Sofie,

Whoever thought up that rule certainly was being tricky with it,  putting it as counting like a person is living alone, after all there can't be many 16- 17 year olds who 'registered blind, receive mid or high rate care or Attendance Allowance at either rate.' I guess that the decision to make that rule could be a topic for the Talk board

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della
I know I've asked questions before, but I get really confused as far as benefits go. I've been claiming IB for the last 9yrs and was always told I wasn't entitled to IS, when I suspect I was at some point, if not now.

I get long term IB at 109 a week HRM and LRC. Does this mean I'm not entitled to IS now? Sorry if that's a stupid question (and I do ask a lot of them) but I've been getting really confused lately.

>tah<

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Monic1511

Hi RococoSoul

I get long term IB at 109 a week HRM and LRC. Does this mean I'm not entitled to IS now?
Assuming your over 25 & living alone your applicable amount is 67.50 +Disability Premium of 28.85 = 96.35
you only get the severe disability premium of 55.30 if you get middle rate care, live alone and no one claims carers allowance for you so If you need 96.35 and are getting 109 then sorry its no income support until you get middle rate care.  :-(

If you'd got middle rate care then you would get the income support

Monic

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della
Thank you Monic :)  >thumbsup<
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.