DLA - Going to appeal

• 55 Replies

oldtone27

• Charter Member

Re: DLA - Going to appeal

• on: 22 Feb 2012 12:38PM
On a point of accuracy and pedantry

A yard is 3 feet precisely.

A metre is 1 metre = 3.28 feet approx (3 feet 3 and 3/8 inches)

Monic1511

• on: 22 Feb 2012 07:21PM
On a point of accuracy and pedantry

A yard is 3 feet precisely.

A metre is 1 metre = 3.28 feet approx (3 feet 3 and 3/8 inches)

Old tone - I really wouldn't know - I used an online convertor  >lol<- the one I try to remember is it says in the ESA50 for that a bus is 11 meters long so when I filling in the forms I ask people "so could you walk 5 bus lengths if they are parked back to back" - most folk can visualise that & will say yes or no
 >hugs<
monic

Prabhakari

• on: 22 Feb 2012 09:24PM
Three feet make Jake the Peg, with his extra leg.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

stalwart

• on: 05 Mar 2012 04:07PM
The "Decision Makers Guide" (used by DWP) states that "virtually unable to walk" is:
a.  their ability to walk out of doors is so  limited considering
the distance over which or
the speed at which or
the length of time or
the manner in which
they can make progress on foot without severe discomfort

note it is not pain but severe discomfort,  it's always better to used "trigger words"

How it was explained to me is that if you can walk 100m but are suffering severe discomfort for 80m then you are adjudged to be only capable of walking 20m.

So time yourself over a fixed distance and note all signs of and how many times you suffer severe discomfort.

Have to stop there as my hands are playing up. >doh<

Sofie

• on: 06 Mar 2012 04:45PM
The "Decision Makers Guide" (used by DWP) states that "virtually unable to walk" is:
a.  their ability to walk out of doors is so  limited considering
the distance over which or
the speed at which or
the length of time or
the manner in which
they can make progress on foot without severe discomfort

Why is it "distance over which or", etc and not "distance over which and"? Because surely, all are relevant?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Mar 2012 08:25PM
Ah, but at least a person can qualify on just the one 'xxxx which or' instead of having to meet every single one of them...

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 07 Mar 2012 11:04AM
well given at the moment I can't walk at all without severe pain and I have a report from my GP and the hospital to that effect I hope it will work out.

The insane thing is the car goes before i've even had chance to have my appeal looked at. My Dad's having to help me out with this so at least I will have a car.

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 13 Apr 2012 08:53AM
Thought i'd updated this but clearly not. As part of the reconsideration they wrote to my GP and asked her to comment on various things. Most of them were the logical things but on it they also asked her to comment on my dementia. Now I don't have dementia, I have memory problems caused by my fibro and CFS and as a side effect to my medication but I certainly don't have dementia! Not least because i'm only 29 years old.

Then to to add insult to injury the letter saying that they were contacting my GP was addressed to the flats near my home which have a similar name and was found by a friend. I'm really angry because I don't really want strangers knowing my business!

Just waiting now. The worst thing has been loosing my blue badge. My GP says i'd fail the assessment because if you can walk across the room you basically don't qualify. Seems ludicrious when i've just been given a wheelchair prescription!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Apr 2012 09:55AM
Hi Helen, sorry to hear you've experienced some official incompetence there  >doh<

My GP says i'd fail the assessment because if you can walk across the room you basically don't qualify.

I'm surprised that your GP was peddling this nonsense - she obviously hasn't read and absorbed the HRM 'virtually unable to walk' criteria, as posted by Stalwart upthread.  Let that misinformed statement go 'in one ear and out the other'....

Seems ludicrious when i've just been given a wheelchair prescription!

Well, that should be a good piece of supporting evidence, for starters!  Anyway, fingers crossed and all that  >fingerscrossed< >clover<

hossylass

• on: 13 Apr 2012 09:59AM
Have you phoned them about the address thing?

I think you should do that first - just ask them what adress they have.
Then explain about the letter. Point out this is not about your DLA or appeal - but an admin problem that really shouldn't have arisen and you dont want any more mistakes like this!

You may wish to complain officially, which is your choice, but may be the only way to get them to check all your details are correct on all their bits of paper and systems.
Try and sort that out, if only to shift that particular "angry and upset" feeling from your side, and to make sure they dont accuse you of noty giving them the "wrong" information.
You may have to send them the letter - only ever send a copy!

What did your GP say about the dementia thing?
I just checked here; http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dementia/Pages/Introduction.aspx to make sure taht dementia suddenly hadn't become the new term for cognitive and memory problems, and unless your GP knows otherwise I think this is very weird.

This is a long shot, but are the two things connected? Have they jumbled your file with someone else's?

I'd check about your blue badge, you can get one without DLA.
Did you send the DWP a copy of your prescription for the wheelchair?
You can send them a copy, with your name, address, date of birth and national insurance number as "supporting evidence".
"Supporting evidence" can be sent at any point.

Sofie

• on: 13 Apr 2012 11:45AM
Just waiting now. The worst thing has been loosing my blue badge. My GP says i'd fail the assessment because if you can walk across the room you basically don't qualify. Seems ludicrious when i've just been given a wheelchair prescription!

It's not just about distance. It's about how long it takes you, whether you have to stop, etc.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Apr 2012 11:46AM
and how much pain/breathlessness/fatigue you suffer whilst walking

Monic1511

• on: 13 Apr 2012 05:48PM
Hi
re this statement by the GP "My GP says i'd fail the assessment because if you can walk across the room you basically don't qualify. "   I think they are getting the ESA mixed up with DLA as well.  the ESA criteria for walking also considers moving in a chair
"Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonable be used.
Cannot either
1.   mobilise more than 50 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or
repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

And the DLA criteria for  High Rate Mobility is
No 1. you are unable to walk or
No 2. you are virtually unable to walk or
No 3. the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to your life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in your health or
No 4. you have no legs or feet (from birth or through amputation)
No 5. you are both deaf and blind or
No 6 you are entitled to highest rate care component and are severely mentally impaired with extremely disruptive and dangerous behavioural problems.
As the others have said they must consider the speed and manner of your walking as well.

I agree with Hossy that you need to get the address thing sorted as its a breach of confidentiallity - a complaint might help them get their finger out.
Good luck & take care
Monic

devine63

• on: 14 Apr 2012 12:31AM
Hi

I have a blue badge and I don't currently have DLA.  The assessment for the badge was very simple, she had me walk along a corridor for about 25 metres and observed that I (a) get very breathless and (b) I walk significantly more slowly than other people.  They agreed to both a blue badge and a freedom pass and more recently to Taxicard as well.

However my DLA application was just refused "because I can walk 100m" so like you I shall be appealing....

Just a thought re the medical evidence: how about if you write a description of all your difficulties and their impact on your everyday life, then send a copy of that with a covering letter to each of the doctors you want to contribute and ask whether each of them could add their signature (or a covering letter) to your description and send it to DWP saying they agree with your description?

regards, Deb

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 15 Apr 2012 07:57AM
The problem I have is that it effects me after i've been walking so I can walk the 25 metres fine. It's later I suffer from severe fatigue and pain and my legs give way. My GP has been through this with 2 other people recently with blue badges who have been turned down and they had worse problems than I do, hense her comments. I will apply for one and see what happens. Went to a retail park yesterday and my husband ended up pushing me accross the carpark in the wheelchair because it was too far to push myself and it meant that I had to rely on my 6 year old to get my 3 year old twins accross. If I was out on my own It would be impossible.