DLA - Going to appeal

• 55 Replies

helenpage

• Gold Member

Re: DLA - Going to appeal

• on: 17 Apr 2012 10:57AM
Received a letter this morning saying that someones coming a week on Friday for a medical. Luckily I've been through one before with my husband so i'm not panicing too much about it. The house is littered with mobility aids and is a pigsty so i'm glad they're coming here. Any advice though would be very welcome. At the time he's coming i'll be exhausted from the school run and my meds will be waring off which in a way is a godsend.

Sofie

• on: 17 Apr 2012 01:37PM
I've been told not to things that aren't normally done and to ensure that aids / medication are where you'd expect to find them.

Monic1511

• on: 17 Apr 2012 09:49PM
Helen
don't change your routine in any way, don't tidy up either, I know the instinct is to do this when you have visitors but he ain't coming to visit - he'll observe etc
good luck & if your took knackered to get off the couch then don't bother
Monic

Sofie

• on: 17 Apr 2012 11:34PM
They observe you from the moment you open the door. So, it'll look a bit strange if you claim "I can't walk at all" and open the door and not using any aids.

Also, they may argue that if you have an almost full bottle of medication, you may not really need it. You would then explain that this is a new bottle. If it's prescribed, the date it was prescribed will be on there.

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 11:03AM
friday morning is the morning my friend comes and sorts out my medication so we've just restocked everything typically. I'm using my crutch all the time so there's no problem there but my worry is that because i'll be here on my own it will have a negative impact on things. The fact that there's a tray with my meds on, a water bottle and the remants of my dinner put there by my husband this morning because otherwise I forget might go against me. He has to work and get the children so there is no way he could be with me, my mum's car has broken down and my friend is working.

My husband had a medical a couple of years ago and it was actually a very positive experience. The doctor gave him loads of advice and told him he should be registered as visually impaired as he was having so many problems. It's not like it's a new thing and I kinda know what to expect.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 11:33AM
I already said something on the other thread about the medical so I will just wish you Good Luck here.
:-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

helenpage

• Gold Member

Re: DLA - Going to appeal - updated

• on: 14 May 2012 11:34AM
Well the reconsideration was a waste of time. I have multiple issues with it and i'm really angry.

Firstly my claim for higher rate mobility was once again rejected. I'm currently in chronic pain and every step is a challenge - both in terms of fatigue and in terms of pain. I can't walk without a stick because it's even more painful. The criteria for HRM states:-

because of a physical disability, you are unable or virtually unable to walk without severe discomfort, or at risk of endangering your life or causing deterioration in your health by making the effort to walk

Every step causes severe discomfort, every step is exhausting, every step means I need more painkillers which aggrivate my IBS and give me diorhea and make my cfs flare up more and more. For this reason my GP and social worker both agreed that I needed a wheelchair.

As for care despite listing a number of falls they have decided that i'm not at risk of falling. As for bathing and showering they've said I don't need help despite me and my GP saying I can't stand long enough to shower and I can't get in and out of the bath without someone to help me. They've said I don't need help at night despite me having to wake my husband at night so that he can help me with my pain meds because not so long ago I took an overdose because i'd pointblank forgotten that i'd had them. They've not considered the impact of my memory problems whatsoever because the medical assessor asked the GP to comment on my dementia which she couldn't do because I don't have dementia. I never said that I did - the DWP did when they read about memory problems! The medical assessor wasn't asked to comment on it as a result. My memory problems are a result of my CFS and I suspect because of the DWPs error that's why it's not been included in any of the results. Even more amusing is the face that they say the reason I can't cook is due to lifting. It's not at all - it's because I burn everything because I forget what i'm doing and I stand stand for very long!

I'm seeing my MP on Friday and am going to appeal. I feel that certainly with regards to my care award, errors have been made. There is also still the issue of writing to me at the wrong address as well.

Fingers crossed

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 May 2012 12:46PM
Hope the appeal gives the right result and that you manage not to be too stressed-out waiting for it, Helen.  >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 15 May 2012 06:15PM
The DWP rarely change their minds at reconsideration stage, results are much better and much fairer at Tribunals. I'm really sorry you are going through this and the stress of the time it takes, but really hope the result is just and fair when it comes. Lets hope your wait is not too long.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 May 2012 01:52PM
I am so sorry that the recon went against you  >hugs< . I can't understand why I was given HRM but you weren't  :-( . The battle has been lost, but the war is not over yet!