• 20 Replies

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della

Heating your home.

• on: 23 Feb 2012 06:47PM
Problems seem to follow me in masses.

I've just topped up my gas quantum meter with 8.00 gas and the meter flashed up 1.25 debt, 4.55 emerg and 2.20 it then says to hold A for Gas, after I done that it flashed up 2.20 for Gas, Emerg Used and 55p Owed. How the hell can that happen? After putting 8.00 in my meter I've got little more than 2 out of it, no emerg and STILL "owe" money??? I'm at breaking point. It seems petty to get worked up about this, but it's the cherry on top of my money worries. I can't afford to have my heating on for the most part and I'm suffering for it. It doesn't help my condition to be sat here shivering.

Is there any help/discounts out there for people with illness/disablity to heat their homes?

I'm in Wales and my gas and electric are with Swalec.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Heating your home.

• on: 23 Feb 2012 07:17PM
This website might be useful:

http://www.homeheathelpline.org.uk/

Monic1511

• on: 23 Feb 2012 07:36PM
Hi
this is the government website with links
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/SupportAtHome/DG_10026850

Roccoco
when someone come into office with this type of problem I normally need to ask them to get a meter reading and then phone the company with this, the company then will check if we think the meter is faulty, they can also normally work out how much is being used per week and will discuss what can be done to reduce the collection amounts
the number for your company seems to be a freephone 0800 980 0424
so I'd phone them & ask them if they can check the meter as it seems to be faulty
 >hugs<
Monic

Sofie

• on: 23 Feb 2012 08:59PM
From you said, you're on a pay you go meter? It's meant to be cheaper (don't pay the electric bill; so don't know the ins and outs) to change so that you have a bill each month.

I apologise if that makes no sense - know what I want to say; but can't say it.

Monic1511

• on: 23 Feb 2012 09:07PM
Sofie
do you mean that the cheapest tarrif is paying by direct debit?   thats normally the cheapest way but many folk struggle to get on it as you probably know

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 23 Feb 2012 09:13PM
Thanks for replies.

I wouldn't be able to find the info out on my phone and figured others must be having similar problems, so this thread would be useful for them too.

It's happened before a few times, one time being when my mother gave me 30 to put in the meter and a big chunk of that was unaccounted for.

Sofie, do you mean to switch to a monthly/quarterly meter? My house doesn't keep heat very well. My landlord has applied for insulation, but they seem in no rush and as it's quite an old cottage there seems to be drafts everywhere. If I had a bill every month I would  probably have the heating on constantly and be hit with a hefty bill. I prefer knowing my limits rather than have nasty suprises (although I got one today all the same) :-)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Feb 2012 09:24PM
I think most companies estimate how much power you are likely to use in a year & base a monthly direct debit amount on that (if you have meter readings for the past year you can send them those as a guide). 
It's common for them to start by over-estimating a bit then cut the monthly payments if you are much in credit.
If they have to increase the payments they will let you know a few weeks before the increase.
I find monthly direct debit easier because the payments are levelled out through the year (pay same in summer & winter); budgeting is simpler that way.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 23 Feb 2012 09:29PM
Is that how it's done? A set amount? I could do that. I prefer to have set amounts for everything with being on such a tight budget. I'll be asking for someone to call out then :-)

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Feb 2012 09:46PM
Yes, they base the initial amount on the average usage of a home the size of yours.  If you are generally at home most of the day you might use more than the average, so it'd be a good idea to keep an "emergency pot" of money (a few pounds a month) in case they have to increase it after a while. 

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 23 Feb 2012 11:24PM
Thanks Seegee!

I'll be looking into doing that. My mother has an almost identical house to mine and she told me tonight that she pays 60 a month. I'll be looking at the budgeting thread now :-)

Sofie

• on: 24 Feb 2012 10:27AM
Yes Monic and Rococo, that is what I meant. Also look at uswitch (I think) which has tariffs. Also, depending on your situation and what benefits you're on, you might be entitled to some extra help. This varies from company to company.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 24 Feb 2012 11:44AM
Thanks Sofie :-)   >thumbsup<

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 24 Feb 2012 01:22PM
Something to think about, I believe Rococo is talking about rented property.

I am not sure of the legal situation but some landlords may insist on prepayment meters otherwise they may be liable if the tenant defaults on payment.

Other Ouchers may be more up to date with the current situation regarding this.

Sofie

• on: 24 Feb 2012 02:18PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/Energyandwatersaving/Energyandwaterefficiencyinyourhome/DG_195183 Tips on how to cut gas and electricity costs.

There is something about a 120 rebate / discount. I've had the letter; but shredded it. (irrelevant to my situation) Some Ouchers may have had this letter?

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 24 Feb 2012 03:07PM
Yes, you are right, oldtone - the landlord has the final decision about what kind of meter but if you've been a trouble-free tenant for a while and aren't planning to leave soon most landlords are reasonable (well, they like to keep trouble-free tenants). 
If you have a decent relationship with your landlord, talking to them about getting the meter changed would be a good start (they probably don't have to do anything except sign saying they agree).