Council Housing Points Scheme

• 15 Replies

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della

Council Housing Points Scheme

• on: 24 Feb 2012 07:04PM
I was wondering if anyone knew the maximum points available on the points scheme. It used to be that there was a limit and when you was awarded points you could estimate what position you was on the housing waiting list.

I have been awarded 32pts and been on the list a year. But upon reassessing my points today I found I am entitled to 58pts and I've written a letter to the housing office.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

Re: Council Housing Points Scheme

• on: 24 Feb 2012 07:59PM
My local council uses a 'choice based letting system'.  Each applicant is assessed and placed in a needs band, bands A to C, with band A having the higher priority.  Once you have been assessed you are then able to 'bid' on a property.  Some are age restricted properties and some have facilities for mobility impaired people.
A successful bid depends on your allocated band and how long you have been waiting to be housed.

I think it depends on your council how they assess housing need.  If you feel that the number of points you have for housing has increased significantly, then definitely get in touch with the council as your priority on the list may have increased and you may be much closer to being rehoused than you realise.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 24 Feb 2012 08:32PM
I hope so. I've applied for 15 areas and many with properties frequently available. I've even put in for properties in areas I don't know as I'm getting desperate. Of course this is on the basis that I don't get awarded DLA, as if I do then I can apply for the adapted properties in my area (Already available). I've written a letter, just detailing my problems, how long I've been waiting with no offers (one housing officer couldn't believe I'd not had an offer) and the fact I'm finding it increasingly difficult to live here. I listed all my problems along with the points usually allocated to the perticular problem and asked them to review it.

:-)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Feb 2012 01:17AM
Well done for writing the letter.  Lets hope something positive comes from it  >thumbsup<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 25 Feb 2012 12:24PM
Let's hope that your DLA award makes all the difference and you soon get somewhere suitable.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 25 Feb 2012 01:26PM
I'm really please with my award. The one thing that concerns me is, I have been awarded for 9 months. I will have a chance of going for this council adapted flat which is high rent for my area (£105 a week). What would happen if my award is stopped after nine months? I wouldn't be able to afford the rent. Would I have to move out? :-(

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 01:47PM
Not unless they can provide you with a suitable property :)

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 01:54PM
I managed to hurry mine along (after over three years of being street homeless) by getting a meeting with the head of housing (after writing in with several complaints and getting my MP to write in), who actually came out and viewed my "accomdation". (water on an agricultural supply, no electric, one wall of caravan missing, part of roof missing, cess pit toilet, floor rotten and missing in parts).

I got a bungalow within three weeks, and yet had been homeless and on their poxy register for over three years... and I phoned them every week, blah, blah, did all the things they asked etc, to no avail.
Sometimes you have to increase the size of the stick that you hit them with - I spent a lot of time in the library checking just what houses they had, what size, what their planning policy was etc, and proved that they were descriminating against disabled people in stock and policy.

It was an interesting exercise...

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 25 Feb 2012 03:01PM
Not unless they can provide you with a suitable property :)

That's a relief. I could be moved this time next month :-)

I managed to hurry mine along (after over three years of being street homeless) by getting a meeting with the head of housing (after writing in with several complaints and getting my MP to write in), who actually came out and viewed my "accomdation". (water on an agricultural supply, no electric, one wall of caravan missing, part of roof missing, cess pit toilet, floor rotten and missing in parts).

I got a bungalow within three weeks, and yet had been homeless and on their poxy register for over three years... and I phoned them every week, blah, blah, did all the things they asked etc, to no avail.
Sometimes you have to increase the size of the stick that you hit them with - I spent a lot of time in the library checking just what houses they had, what size, what their planning policy was etc, and proved that they were descriminating against disabled people in stock and policy.

It was an interesting exercise...

I'm sorry to hear everything you been through Hossy. I hope you beat them good with that extra long stick. How can they justify you being in those conditions? If there were no properties available then surely there were options to make sure you had a draft free, warm, dry roof over your head.  >angry< I've been back and forth the library to see if anything's come up. I'm listed with two housing associations too, but they discriminate. All ground level flats are reserved for 55+, no acceptions. It's disgusting!

>hugs<

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 06:32PM
Errr they cant do that either honey - the over 55 rule was set up to allow people to become prograssively less able in a suitable environment, so they wouldn'e have to move again.
If your mobility is that of a person over 55 then the age is immaterial.

Its worth asking what reasoning is behind their over 55 rule... but dont hint about challenging it - just see what their justification is >whistle<

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 25 Feb 2012 06:38PM
I've said that I'm disabled and they've not asked for any information or proof. I think I wouldn't want to have a flat with them if that is how crass they are (and yes! I've spoken to more than one housing advisor). I'd rather stick with the council, but I think I will be writing to them all the same. After all, I'm not the only disabled person in need of housing. It makes my blood boil, as they've just built brand new flats in my street with lift access and I was told I couldn't apply :-(

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 06:46PM
The reason that I didn't have a roof was because the put me in and out of B&B, and they throw you out if they cant find accomodation as they have targets to meet. The final straw was trying to put me in a flat opposite a drug dealer I had testified against, and when  I told them I could not take it, they said that I didn't qualify for any temporary accomodation after that - no bending the rules to save me from being stabbed by Mister Weird Drug Dealer then !

I actually challenged them on loads of stuff, all of which they just sat on until they panicked when the pile started to look a bit conclusive.
The over 55 rule is crap, as I explained.
What reason did they give about you not being able to apply for the flats in your road?

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 06:47PM
Them not asking for proof of disability means they haven't recorded it, by the way.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della

• on: 25 Feb 2012 07:02PM
Them not asking for proof of disability means they haven't recorded it, by the way.

That's why I'm sticking with the council. Them doing that is not acknowledging me as a person. I know where I am with the council, there's a brilliant advisor (who isn't even a housing advisor) and she gets everything done for me and reciepts it.

I was told the new flats were for 55+, I can't be bothered with them....a little exposť would be apt for them too.

Seems you were pretty much in the same boat. Although I prefer my situation. All these targets, they shouldn't exist for homeless people :-(

hossylass

• on: 25 Feb 2012 07:09PM
So I take it that there is still council stock where you are, and it is still controlled by the council?

Where I was all the housing (regardless of who owned it) was channelled through one database, which the largest Housing Association ran.
So all the smaller housing associations, social landlords and remaining council stock was all lumped together - you couldn't apply seperately, you did it all through the council homeless team, and the housing association did the allocating.