Author Topic: Another Daily Mail report... read with caution  (Read 4803 times)

Prabhakari

Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Re: Another Daily Mail report... read with caution
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2012 08:39AM »
OMG , Im shocked, really shocked for the first time in ages.. killing babies surely is wicked and could never be supportable whether disabled or non disabled.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Mar 2012 08:44AM »
Utterly sickening  :-(

hossylass

« Reply #3 on: 01 Mar 2012 08:45AM »
Its the ranting of a person determined to get some attention - ignore her, the medical community and academia are going to...

If she wanted to make a name for herself, she has managed that.

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2012 10:23AM »
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: 01 Mar 2012 10:29AM »
My mother was offered this option after my brother was born. The babies were put in a dark nursey and no food or water given and nature left to take its course. My mother was horrified. He has a raft of disabilities but at the grand old age of 46 and still going strong, i think she made the correct choice. It is something that was not obviously talked about.

Fizzbw

« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2012 10:46AM »
Basically it's semantics being applied to ethics! I pray it remains an academic discussion and nothing else.

Having said that, euthanasia is something that should be discussed IMO, so how is this different? Personal choice, that's where. So the parents have the personal choice? Hummm. Anyone who has actually held a newborn baby will know that they are very much an individual entity. I think that their definition of a human/person is wrong.

Typical Daily Mail hysteria, bet they Loved reading that, juicy story....ughhh.

Fizzbw xxx

Gravity

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar 2012 11:03AM »
I love the term "after-birth abortion" - don't we already have a word for that?

All this stuff about bringing up a disabled child being an "unbearable burden" and not only on the parents, but society.
A colloquial expression of "go away" including a popular four letter word springs to mind. >whistle<

kate

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Mar 2012 11:19AM »
Utterly utterly shocking
and gob-smacking to read that she is surprised at the public response

where does it end?

But this IS how it begins - with media pieces and quiet comments -as it began with the Jews and then included the Roma then the disabled then those with MH illness and so on and so on

AND I'm not Jewish --a fact that matters very little on the horror scale of things

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 Mar 2012 12:54PM »
I think the belief that newborns are no different from foetuses is more an argument against late terminations than  for anything else...

hossylass

« Reply #10 on: 01 Mar 2012 01:29PM »
It started with disabled people, the Jews were targetted much later, after 300,000 disabled people had been killed.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2012 08:23PM »
The philosophy of the Psychopath.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2012 09:18PM »
A colloquial expression of "go away" including a popular four letter word springs to mind. >whistle<

Ahh - you mean that phrase involving sex and travel.

Horrible article featuring an equally horrible person.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2012 09:21PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

Otter

« Reply #13 on: 02 Mar 2012 10:01PM »
I am absolutely gobsmacked that this paper (research) has been published in a medical journal - how the hell did it get through ethical committee - no application which will result in the suggestion of harm to a human being would ever get through the process

This for her is obviously a personal view, and taking into account her other views on disability, it is not the first time she has pulled this stunt - a conference several years ago to discuss our future as lifeforms when none of us were invited.

The report is not objective, its a complete farse and the woman's funding should be withdrawn forthwith, pending full investigation

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 Mar 2012 07:32PM »
Pra,

Thank you for posting both links.

From the Telegraph,

Defending the decision to publish in a British Medical Journal blog, Prof Savulescu, said that arguments in favour of killing newborns were “largely not new”.

What Minerva and Giubilini did was apply these arguments “in consideration of maternal and family interests”.

While accepting that many people would disagree with their arguments, he wrote: “The goal of the Journal of Medical Ethics is not to present the Truth or promote some one moral view. It is to present well reasoned argument based on widely accepted premises.”

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, he added: “This “debate” has been an example of “witch ethics” - a group of people know who the witch is and seek to burn her. It is one of the most dangerous human tendencies we have. It leads to lynching and genocide. Rather than argue and engage, there is a drive is to silence and, in the extreme, kill, based on their own moral certainty. That is not the sort of society we should live in.”

I dont think publishing such an inflammatory headline grabbing piece was a sensible choice, but I am of the opinion that topics like this do need to be studied and discussed. Only not by people who only read the Daily Mail.

In debates about Pro Life, Pro Choice and Disability I do see a mismatch in the way people who are in positions of power and influence often believe in the right of the unborn child, but then once the child is born their right to a fair and decent life goes out of the window. For example the Welfare Reform Bill now means children born too disabled to work do not have a right to non income based ESA. This means people already limited by the life handed to them by fate are catergorised as less than everyone else because they were never able to work and therefore never able to paid the required national insurance contributions.