contributory ESA

• 28 Replies

Monic1511

Re: contributory ESA

• on: 04 Mar 2012 06:03PM
Hi Guys
re housing benefit "If you switch to irESA you may still have to re-apply for HB, CTb etc."   What you have to do is contact your housing benefit team and ask them to send you a "change of Circumstances" form.   Many councils will not insist you complete the form but you should take the letter you eventually get from DWP saying your entitled to Income related ESA into the housing office.   A Change of circs is often a 1 page form asking what changed and from what date and asking for proof of the change.  So that would be Con based ESA ended on 01/04/12 and Income related award letter attached.     I know its difficult for a lot of you but if you take your form into the office you get a receipt so get proof you notified them, where if you post it in it can go awol and you have no proof.

The difference between income based ESA & con based ESA is that on con based you cannot apply for community care grants but you can if your on income related ESA despite both claimaints getting 67.50/week (arrgh)

Monic

hossylass

• on: 04 Mar 2012 06:08PM
I think I saw Eric Pickles eat the last community care grant available in the whole country... he thought it was a currant bun, bless him  :(

If you were on Con ESA though you may have had other income (because as Chris Grayling explained, some of us may be millionaires...) or not be eligable for means tested benefits, which is the criteria.
Same problem with IB, it was taxable income, not a means tested benefit, so no CCG's.

agapanthus

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 05 Mar 2012 09:16AM
Thank you so much for posting that official link Hoss - I was wondering too about the details, and now feeling quite elated to have a month's reprieve!!  :-) My acupuncturist will be pleased too, as I can carry on seeing him now for another month.

hossylass

• on: 05 Mar 2012 12:34PM
I have to admit being nagged by the thought, and in view of the DWP-JC-Atos cockups in the past.

Relieved too that they "have a plan"... though I still think that it will be a big task..

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Mar 2012 01:04PM
"Relieved too that they "have a plan"... "  

Would that be a 'cunning plan'? Given the DWP and its cohort's track record I think Baldric's plans would have a better chance of success.

hossylass

• on: 05 Mar 2012 01:15PM
Yep, the cycnic in me can foresee some people havign a nightmare.

The leadtime seems very short as those who are losing cESA in less than 40 working days haven't received the forms yet :(

deebeeb

• Silver Member

• on: 05 Mar 2012 05:17PM
I am going to ring them tomorrow, just waiting is making me really nervous and jittery >blush<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Mar 2012 06:40PM
I think that's a really good plan - get it from the 'horse's mouth' as it were... Let us know how you get on!

deebeeb

• Silver Member

• on: 06 Mar 2012 08:28PM
well, I rang them today and it was good news!

They have moved me onto income based ESA as my contributions had ran out.  I asked when my next medical was and was told there was 'no reminder' on the system!!!  I went on to ask what this meant - the reply? - 'you may have a medical in the future, but there is nothing planned thus far, perhaps it's because of your illness'.

Kind of begs the question as why I am not in the support group?  But I'm not going to rock the boat by asking that question.  She did inform me I could appeal the decision, as my letter was dated 16th Feb - what letter??  I have not received any letter!!  but hey ho

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Mar 2012 08:33PM
So the transfer is painless then - not even a form to fill out?  That's very encouraging - thanks for 'reporting back'  >thumbsup<

(you could apply for the support group, but the DWP may then re-assess your entire award - with the attendant risk of losing the lot, just like DLA.  So you're probably wise letting sleeping dogs lie  ;-) )

deebeeb

• Silver Member

• on: 06 Mar 2012 08:38PM
no forms at all to fill out, no phone calls, no questions, no nothing.  maybe I'm lucky as my contributions had ran out before April this year??

she did ask me over the phone today if I had any savings and if I still lived alone with my son, ie, any changes to report.  No changes.  But they had made the change-over on the 16th Feb without this information any way.  Doesn't make sense does it?  But I'm pleased, not much goes my way so I saw this as a small victory; kinda  >lol<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Mar 2012 10:13PM
I am so glad that this is sorted and one less thing to worry about.

You ask why you were not put into the support group if DWP accept that you have a long-term illness, and IDS/Chris grayling would have people believe that is the system. However, there is no support group descriptor for having a long-term condition, the criteria are very specific and do not look at the permanence of the condition.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 07 Mar 2012 05:21PM
I'm moving this to the Welfare Rights board for future reference ..

Fizzbw

• on: 10 Mar 2012 11:50AM
Which is where, hopefully, my MP will do the research I asked him to do, find out how many people have "unlikely to work in the longer term" on their medical report forms, yet are placed In the WRAG.

It would probably be good if more MP's were asked to do it, I have every intention of nagging mine, but a scatter gun approach is more effective.

Fizzbw xxx