Author Topic: Banana skins  (Read 3344 times)

Prabhakari

Banana skins
« on: 07 Mar 2012 09:09AM »
Those little things that cause problems.

One is.. was now.. the tiny little step on my outer door, designed to keep out rain and wind.
I found that my indoor electric wheelchair was so feeble that it really struggled to get the front castors over this.
It was feeble in many ways; so much so, that last year I had had enough of it, and I bought my own, very expensive electric wheelchair that can juuuussssttttt be used indoors, and outdoors.
How I long for a proper wheelchair environment!

There are others.

What banana skins upset life for you?      >crutches<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della
Re: Banana skins
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2012 09:32AM »
Raised Curbs. Mainly the ones you have to step up onto then step off, like aerobics steps. When I step up I inevitably wobble. I haven't fallen off one yet, but I always come close.  >yikes<  >crutches<

Bottom shelves and top shelves. Depending on whether I'm on my sticks or in my chair. I can't bend when on sticks and can't reach when in my chair. There should be rotary shelves  >lol<

And the steps to the front and back of my house. They are about 2ft deep with a really narrow foot tread. I haven't been out my garden since July 2010 and can't combat the front steps on my own. I scratch my head with this one! I only recently found out that the flats 3 doors from my house are adapted accomadation with lift access etc. but the steps to the front are communal. Really well thought out  >confused<
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2012 10:43AM »
What banana skins upset life for you?

Stubborn packaging on food that I can't easily undo with my hands (and when I do succeed, the plastic bag obligingly splits down the sides and spills the contents..)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2012 11:01AM »
Heavy, un-automated doors. the ones at my local pharmacy are a nightmare!

Cyclists on the pavement - I've almost been knocked flying a few times.

Wet leaves, litter, droppings of dog. Major slipping hazzard, and unpleasant to boot.

High kerbs. I can manage low ones (once), thanks to a nifty technique taught to me by physio at my crutch training session, but the high ones just *hurt*.

Sudden, loud noises. Panic attach + crutches = disaster.

Letter-boxes. Discovered this over the last week. The stiff, brush-lined ones are worst. They need 2 hands to negotiate, and I can only spare one, and for a few seconds only. Wibble, wobble, fall.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2012 11:19AM »
Yep all those as well NN.

I got the same problem with the door at my local chemists. I call it the bear trap. I think we may of talked about it on the old boards??
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2012 11:50AM »
I've only been an 'Oucher' since last October, RococoSoul, so I don't think so!

kate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Mar 2012 12:48PM »
The raised bumps at crossing points -makes my hips hurt when standing or walking on them

All the crap covering the till area in shops --where do I put my bag to fill it-except on the floor -ouch
The blank or resentful looks and spurious excuses from staff when I ask that it be removed  >doh<
likewise when my change is thrust at me whilst I am filling my shopping bag and I SUDDENLY feel like an inconvenience because getting my money is the sum of their 'service'  --and the next 7 minutes outside the door as I try to put it away inn my purse before losing it --money or sanity

The taxi free phone at the opposite end of the store entrance and far away from the taxi rank

The closed till barricades at Tesco that require me to walk way round to the entrance and back again past the service desk in order to get to the loo

The waist-high mirror in the disabled toilet that I cannot see into unless I bend over  ---and is it the toilet that is disabled or the user I wonder

BUSSES -- drivers that don't wait or me to sit before starting off
bus shelters with a poor excuse for rain and wind protection and narrow seats that slant so far forward they can't be sat on

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2012 12:49PM »
Sorry, my bad. These bear trap pharmacy doors must be everywhere.  >lol<

Sofie

« Reply #8 on: 07 Mar 2012 01:03PM »
Heavy, un-automated doors. the ones at my local pharmacy are a nightmare!

We have these where I volunteer. Right pain in the bum they are.

Prabhakari

« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2012 02:18PM »
I use my wheelchair rather than the scooter to get my drugs.
A door is the reason. It is heavy and will not fully open.
However, there is another door which may be heavy but does open.
If I were to try to use my scooter I have to wait until someone comes along
who can open the door wide enough for me.

The nearest large supermarket is some distance away, so is a kind of banana skin.
I want to go there but am never well enough to cope.

Trying to make food, even just a sandwich is hard. I have to cope with a small work-surface that is far too high for a wheelchair user, so I often drop food on the floor and lose it.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2012 06:43PM »
Perching stools can be both friend and foe. A friend when you sit on them and a foe if you walk near on on doddery legs.

For those who dont have one let me explain the front legs of my perching stool stick out at an angle to the floor and are definate trip hazards.

~thunk~

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2012 07:51PM »
"Heavy, un-automated doors. the ones at my local pharmacy are a nightmare!"

It's not so much the weight for me (I can manage although I have to do it very slowly to make sure I retain my balance), it's that the handles are usually at just the right height to get tangled up with my crutch handles. And while I'm trying to make sure they don't get tangled, while holding the door open with all my weight, someone will come up behind me and shove it...

Prabhakari

« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2012 08:18PM »
We all have to face the little banana skins of disabled life.

Are there solutions?
In my case, a button outside the chemists, so I can call for help.
A better flat that really can be used by someone in a wheelchair.
Lower work surfaces. Room for a washing machine. Better cupboards and more of them.
Help with keeping the place clean and tidy.
Help with getting rid of stuff that the council will not allow to be recycled....

I have seen, in one of my books, a library with revolving bookshelves. It is medieval, so bang up-to-date.   >biggrin<
It is either Oxford or Cambridge.

suessad

« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2012 08:27PM »
The raised bumps at crossing points -makes my hips hurt when standing or walking on them

All the crap covering the till area in shops --where do I put my bag to fill it-except on the floor -ouch
The blank or resentful looks and spurious excuses from staff when I ask that it be removed  >doh<
likewise when my change is thrust at me whilst I am filling my shopping bag and I SUDDENLY feel like an inconvenience because getting my money is the sum of their 'service'  --and the next 7 minutes outside the door as I try to put it away inn my purse before losing it --money or sanity

Tactile paving, very good for the VI. But, awfully bumpy for power/wheel chairs.

I have overcome the problem of having my change thrust at me. I don't pay until my bag is packed.  >whistle<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2012 08:32PM »
Hi Prab,

"Help with getting rid of stuff that the council will not allow to be recycled...."

Offer it on Fregle (used to be freecycle), if it is of any possible use to anyone.  Broken electrical items - students need those to practise on.  etc etc