DLA - Doctor's Report

• 8 Replies

Bipolarbear

DLA - Doctor's Report

• on: 09 Apr 2012 12:36AM
Hi
Could anybody please help me with a question?
I have had a letter after applying for DLA to say it's going to take longer because they have to get a report from my G.P.  It's really my Psychiatrist they need to speak to as I am quite newly diagnosed.  Will they write to my Psychiatrist?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Bipolarbear x

hossylass

Re: DLA - Doctor's Report

• on: 09 Apr 2012 02:40AM
Hi Bear, and welcome to Ouchtoo ! :)

I'd suggest two things;
1) Phone them / write to them / email them and ask them to contact your psychiatrist.
2) Phone your Psychiatrist yourself (or their secretary) and ask them to do a letter for you. You can then send the DWP the letter.

You can also get a copy of your GP medical notes for 10 - ask at the surgery. That should contain notes about your condition from your psychiatrist to the GP.
Alternatively you can phone your GP and ask them if they will be supporting your claim for DLA, and check that the GP has enough supporting evidence available to them.

Are you clear in your own mind how this extra money will help you?
For instance, many people with BP (my boy friend is BP) will feel "well" and stop taking their meds.
You could say that you could use the money to provide a carer who will phone you each day to ask have you taken your meds, and someone to pop round twice a week for a cup of tea who will be able to judge your moods.
Often with BP you feel great... which can be a disaster!
If this sounds familiar then you can "help" your GP to understand how DLA will help you - quite often the GP doesn't see this aspect, so its handy if you can give examples to your GP of what you need the help for. Often the money can be used for this type of "hands off" care.

I'm sorry if you already understand this, or this sort of thing isn''t a problem for you. You have obviously made a good case to the DWP, so maybe explaining to the GP the same arguements will help the GP to back you up.
It is more likely though that the DWP want a medical report to confirm your condition and its severity.
Did you include any medical evidence, such as a medical report?

I usually add all the letters that I can to mine - I think they just weigh it now!

Monic1511

• on: 09 Apr 2012 11:06AM
Hi Bear
Is your Gp aware that your claiming DLA? you'd be surprised how many don't tell the Gp all the problems they have - I suggest making an appintment with the Gp and explaining how your condition affects you every day, thats if Hossy's suggestions don't get the DWP to contact the psychiatrist

best wishes
Monic

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 11:06AM
I wrote a letter to go with my reconsideration and I gave that to my GP so I knew we were singing from the same hym sheet. My GP is lovely and we had a chat during a meds review. I'm now having a medical with ATOS this afternoon

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 11:22AM
Helen,

I hope you ATOs medical goes okay and you are not kept waiting overly long.

If you are able to please write a post on how it went so others here who have not been for a medical yet can get some idea of what it is like.
Thank you.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 03:35PM
Hope the medical was OK Helen (am assuming it's done by the time you read this), not too stressful.   >cheerup<
Have you planned something relaxing/ enjoyable for later today or tomorrow?  Reward to yourself for having done it, however it went.  >rose<  >chocolate<

helenpage

• Gold Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 04:27PM
i'm still waiting. my husband has gone to pick up the sick child from the childminder and i'm watching live at the apollo on the hard disk recorder and just ate a huge slab of chocolate fudge cake :)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Apr 2012 04:32PM
Chocolate & amusement sounds a good plan - hope child is not too sick and all goes well.  >hugs<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member