JSA and living with family

• 7 Replies

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

JSA and living with family

• on: 23 Apr 2012 05:15PM
I'm asking on behalf of a friend because I really don't know anything about unemployment benefits. If a couple (both over 35 and who have their own teenaged children) who are receiving JSA, move in with a biological parent, does that make any difference at all to their benefit entitlement, either the JSA or any pension money the dad might be entitled to claim? I can't see that it would, but just wanted to check as it might be classed as a "household" income in some way.

Also, will they be able to get a calculation of how much housing benefit (or whatever, these things keep changing!) they would be able to claim IF they all move into a particular property but before they have done so, or do they need to move first then they apply and receive a letter months later telling them they can't afford to stay there?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: JSA and living with family

• on: 23 Apr 2012 05:41PM
JSA is not paid according to the type of household the claimant is living in, so the only thing that might be affected is if the parent (whose house they have moved into) gets a means-tested benefit, including help with mortgage interest or Housing Benefit and Council Tax Beneft - the couple may then be viewed as 'non-dependants'.  But I won't go further into that at this stage unless you confirm the parent is receiving said benefits!

Regarding advance calculations of Housing Benefit entitlements for a future property, the couple can apply for a Pre-Tenancy Determination which is carried out by the independent Rent Officer Service - every council seems to have its own webpage on this and some have links to PDF files whereby the application can be done online.  Here's some general information:

http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_41494.html

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 23 Apr 2012 05:58PM
The only possible means tested benefit which may apply immediately is Pension Credit (assume that is means tested?) and later they will receive Housing Benefit, will the parent's entitlement to HB be affected by any changes to the circumstances of the children, or will that only affect their changes, e.g. if they stop getting benefits they will have to pay their part of the rent, but would it have any effect on their dad's share of the rent under HB?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Apr 2012 06:34PM
My apologies, I should have clarified that the householder's benefits affected would mainly be housing-related benefits as listed in my post - however, Pension Credit etc may be affected if the claimant is receiving the Severe Disability Premium because then they might no longer qualify as 'living alone'.  Again, I'm trying not to over-complicate it as I don't know the full circumstances...

As to the HB query - it will depend on if parent and couple are taking on a joint tenancy, or whether just one will be the tenant and the other sub-tenant(s).  What kind of set-up do they have in mind?

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 24 Apr 2012 03:19PM
Hmmm, sadly in this case having something in mind before proceeding is a brand new state for them, they are new to the idea of think then do, they are more of the jump in then realise you are in a vat of crocodiles kind of people. Not sure they will realise there is a difference... is either one better for their situation? Of the younger couple, he is long-term unemployed, she is newly unemployed due to her company suddenly going bust, so there is a reasonable chance her time on benefits will be short. They want it not to be a huge upheaval if she returns to work within a few months of getting the property. Nobody in the household is disabled in benefit terms, though one has RA and COPD so disability could be something that arises later on if she deteriorates, but then anything can happen in the future.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 24 Apr 2012 07:12PM
I've just started digging into information regarding joint tenancies and it appears the laws are different for Scotland and England (seem to remember you hail from Scotland?)

Looking at the other route for now, though :

- If the couple hold the tenancy agreement and dad lives in the property as a 'non-dependant',  then, if he receives Pension Credit, no non-dependant deduction would be made from the couple's Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit were they to be entitled to it.

- If dad holds the tenancy agreement and the couple live in the property as non-dependants, there will be deductions from any Housing/Council Tax Benefit he may be entitled to.  Here is a table of figures for 2012:

Non-dependant Weekly Deductions, 2012 rates

Council Tax Benefit

Non-dependant is:

In receipt of state Pension, Pension Credit or in receipt of IS, JSA(IB), or ESA(IR)      Nil

Aged 18 or over and in remunerative work:

-gross income greater than 394.00      9.90
-gross income not less than 316.00 but less than 394.00      8.25
-gross income not less than 183.00 but less than 316.00      6.55
-gross income less than 183.00      3.30

Others aged 18 or over      3.30

Housing Benefit

Non-dependant is:

In receipt of state Pension or Pension Credit      Nil
In receipt of main phase ESA(IR)      11.45
Not in receipt of main phase ESA(IR)      Nil
Aged 25 or over and on IS/JSA(IB) or aged 18 or over and not in remunerative work      11.45
Aged 18 or over and in remunerative work       
- gross income less than 124.00      11.45
- gross income not less than 124.00 but less than 183.00      26.25
- gross income not less than 183.00 but less than 238.00      36.10
- gross income not less than 238.00 but less than 316.00      59.05
- gross income not less than 316.00 but less than 394.00      67.25
- gross income more than  394.00      73.85

- I couldn't quite format it into a perfectly neat table because of how the message board software works, so have coloured the amounts.  Hope this helps!

Edited to add 'PS' - forget about sub-tenancies, especially if they are looking at private letting!
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2012 07:17PM by KizzyKazaer »

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 24 Apr 2012 10:31PM
This family do not live in Scotland, they live in England. And I have no idea what all those figures are actually for, but they look impressive and full of great effort, well found!

Monic1511

• on: 24 Apr 2012 10:40PM
Rose
if the adult non dependents are on income based benefits then there is no deduction on housing benefit, if they get more than the basic rate (71) then the council can apply deductions & its likely to be the 3.30 rate - if they start working and earn more than 183/week then the amount deducted from the benefit rises as shown in Kizzy's figures (great work there Kizzy  >star<)

Im sure its the same for both sides of the border
Monic