Slave Labour used to steward Jubilee forced to sleep rough.

• 28 Replies

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
"leadershit"  >lol< >lol<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Apparently, it's called "leadershit".

>lol< the thing is if they are going to allow this type of 'slavery' (which is not really slavery but it might well feel like a 2012 version) then they should at least look after the 'slaves' so they give good value for money eg they were supplied with a jacket and trousers.

I doubt the powers that be want to see dishevelled, knackered washed out looking people being stewards at the Olympics. Maybe someone could get the word out for a 'scruffy protest' I do know some people who would have Opps fallen over and got their jacket muddy.

From the article in the Independant

'"The volunteer group arrived early and were de-bussed by the coach company who had given a 5am/5.15am [estimated time of arrival] and unfortunately, my member of staff did not deal with this in the way that I would have hoped."

but it also says

and had no access to toilets during the 14-hour shift.

>yikes< does the training include bladder and other control.

Maybe they should have just settling in at the nearest MacDonalds? (we need a  light bulb smilie).

Oldtone,

There are so many things that should not have happened but typically, no one is going to take the blame and the buck will be passed round and round until the media get bored, the politicians hope its been forgotten, and the next disaster has replaced it in the news anyway.  >doh<

>doh< I doubt the employee in charge on the ground will get sacked, they will probably just get sent for retraining.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Pen,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/investigation-launched-after-unpaid-river-pageant-workers-forced-to-sleep-under-london-bridge-7817755.html

O
ne woman on the scheme told the newspaper: "London was supposed to be a nice experience, but they left us in the rain."

Sounds like a school trip in the 1970s 80s  :-( >thumbsdown<

Sofie

On job seekers allowance agreements (JSAg) it says you must be willing to travel for up to 60 / 90 minutes. How were they able to get away with sending people 3-4 hours away?

Pentesalie

• Charter Member

seegee

• Super Hero Member
It's probable they weren't forced to accept the placement and agreed to travel to London (so they were volunteers who might have had to wait some time for a placement close to home otherwise) - but they probably did expect to have shelter while not on-shift and access to toilet facilities/ changing rooms/ clean drinking water when needed, as well as food available at reasonable intervals unless they were told to bring food with them.  No worker should get less than that unless they are volunteering for only an hour or two.

Sounds like this was done as cheaply as possible without thinking about things at all. 
There's a lot of blame-passing going on between the DWP, the "Work Provider", a particular manager and the coach company (who may in turn blame the driver).  Wouldn't be surprised if this goes on for a while before someone is "sanctioned, "made to undertake retraining" or "reprimanded" and everyone is told that "lessons have been learned" - then everything carries on as before. :(

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello SeeGee

The govt/aliance seem to want to do every thing on the cheap to save money so are they suffering from OBSECVE COMPUSRY DISORDER + in need of phyisatric help + should parliment be turned in to a giant phyisatric hospital

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !
They dont have a psychiatric illness.. they simply dont care.....there is a huge difference..

Those of us who DO have a psychiatric problem would rarely be so callous because we do have the quality of empathy and a sense of how people should be treated.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

seegee

• Super Hero Member
Hello BuleKingfisher

I think a big jail would be more appropriate - they aren't mentally ill in any way they are just nasty people (not all MPs, there are some good ones) who don't care what effect their policies have on others. 
They tell selected parts of the truth in twisted forms to mislead people. 
Not mad, just bad.  :-(

seegee

• Super Hero Member
Hello, myrtlemaid.  Good to see you. >thumbsup< >biggrin<

There are quite a few of us with mental health problems here, aren't there?  It's not just me + you...  >lol<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello Myrtlemaid +SeeGee

I never ment to insult/hurt you by likeing M.P's to real people with physiatric problem's but they are selfish,ruthless + calous like a terroist + they make the tailbean look inocent

seegee

• Super Hero Member
Selfish, ruthless + callous is about right, bulekingfisher. 
You didn't hurt me, I didn't think you were really comparing me to an MP.  >biggrin<

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !
No probs bule.. I wasnt hurt.. just making a point... ;-)  I certainly agree this government are callous and will pinch pennies without any serious consideration of how it effects people. >thumbsdown<

joxx
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello Myrtle maid + SeeGee

I feel much happier to know I have'nt caused any trouble