DLA and aids

• 6 Replies

Sofie

DLA and aids

• on: 09 Jun 2012 11:39AM
In previous years, I've been told that if I used aids, I wouldn't have any problems with communication.

When it comes to aids, NHS only supply the cheap ones which don't help. Is the decision maker allowed to suggest (as they pretty much have) that I buy expensive aids? There is no evidence that these actually "cure" my problems - because they don't and never will.

When I've done my forms, I've made it clear that aids don't change the fact that my eyes wobble (this makes reading tiring and means that reading lines is pretty difficult - it's not unusual to for me to skip lines) - they just reply with "using aids, you'd have no problems communicating. >steam< Yet, they can't suggest aids that will work - none exist! If aids worked, I would not be on the sight impaired register.

Ideally, I need aids to help me with my speech. At the moment, I have to rely on others to either understand me, or relay for me. There are aids which can be bought; but again, they're expensive and not easy for someone with sight impairment to use. When it comes to aids, are they meant to take this into consideration? I'm worried they won't. :-(

gammagirl

Re: DLA and aids

• on: 09 Jun 2012 12:03PM
Let me go consult the big book of guidelines and get back to you.

Yes, they are allowed to say that, but you are also allowed to appeal that.

I think, just as a started, if it were me, I'd get someone medical-type, be it a GP or OT or support worker etc to write down why you can't use certain aids and how you've been assessed etc. If you don't have such a thing, you could chat to your GP about this problem.

In my experience, the people assessing your form don't possess common sense!

I had similar issues and ended up including lots of detail and cross-referencing. It worked the first 2 times... At my tribunal, I got a chance to talk directly to those making the decision and for them to ask questions, so in some ways that helped a lot, and I presented an OT assessment that included the compound effects of why certain common adaptations don't work for me so need to be discounted.

I'll get back to you when I know more.... that ok?

Sofie

• on: 09 Jun 2012 12:41PM
Thank you :-)

Sofie

• on: 19 Jun 2012 01:13PM
There seems to be nothing in the disability handbook. It just says:

"They may have considerable difficulty reading recipes, and checking cooker dials, but in some cases these difficulties may be overcome by using visual aids."

The only stuff about Autism and communication seems to be about communication with strangers and not being to communicate with them. Whereas, my problem is making myself understood through speech.

Also looked under Speech Delay. There's nothing about communication at all. >doh<
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012 01:15PM by Sofie »

devine63

• on: 19 Jun 2012 08:47PM
Hi

A speech therapist may be able to identify clearly what are your difficulties with expressive language (you would  need a different kind of assessment of receptive language function, e.g. by a neuropsychologist) and they may have some knowledge of what aids would help.

If (as you appear to here) you can type ok, then maybe a handheld device like a PDA might be sufficient - either just show other people the screen where you have typed the message OR possibly (if available) use text-to-speech technology - and they are not all expensive as I understand some are available in freeware for example.

The main thing I would say:  get a clear identification of what the problems are; then we can help you identify what tech stuff is needed and we may be able to find you a place where you can see a demo of the gear that interests you. 

regards, Deb

Sofie

• on: 19 Jun 2012 10:06PM
If (as you appear to here) you can type ok, then maybe a handheld device like a PDA might be sufficient - either just show other people the screen where you have typed the message OR possibly (if available) use text-to-speech technology - and they are not all expensive as I understand some are available in freeware for example.

As mentioned in another thread, I was shown some devices on Friday. They both have 2 screens. You can either get the device to talk, or the other person can view what you've written by looking at the other screen.

devine63

• on: 19 Jun 2012 10:24PM
Yes I know those exist, but there are also simpler ways to do it.
regards, Deb