ESA50 Help Required Please

• 23 Replies

Breeze

ESA50 Help Required Please

• on: 13 Jun 2012 10:27AM
Hello, this is my first post but have been reading this site for a while now so thought i should join   :-)

I wonder if anyone could help clear up just a few things i'm unsure of regarding the ESA50 form please?  I'm going through the transfer from Incapacity Benefit and yesterday went to an 'organisation' to help fill in my form.  It was done very badly with very little information put on the form really and none of the support contacts i have being listed. I intend to try and do it again.  I have a support worker who i've only just started seeing and she did mention at the first appointment she can help with forms but i was still on the waiting list when my form came through so booked elswhere. Luckily i still have time to ask her when she comes next week.  I'm also looking on the web on the best way to fill in the form (although i have concentration problems so this is proving to be an exhausting task).  I have a support letter also from one of the people who deals with my health to put with the form.  Yesterday i was told i was lucky to have this as not many do.

What i wanted to ask was, do all people have to go for a medical after filling in the ESA50?  I was told yesterday that unless someone has a terminal illness, everyone has to attend a medical now.  My support worker had told me she will meet me at the medical centre if i have to go but the person i saw yesterday told me if i do take someone with me, they will not be allowed to speak.

It is jumping the gun a bit but i also wondered if (by some miracle) you get put in the support group, are you told how long it will be before the next worrying, stressful round of form filling and medicals come up yet again?

Worried sick as all else going through this ordeal who i feel for knowing how it makes everything so much worse and thank goodness i found this site which is very helpful indeed! Sorry if my post was too long and i rambled on, many apologies.

Thank you   :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: ESA50 Help Required Please

• on: 13 Jun 2012 10:41AM
Hi Breeze, and welcome to OuchToo - your post wasn't too long at all, and I saw no rambles  ;-)

You've been misinformed about the medicals - it's cetainly not the case that everyone except those with a terminal condition have to attend one.  (I suspect the person who told you that may have been muddling it with the fact that everyone has to be re-assessed, via the ESA50, regardless even if they were previously exempted under the old IB system).

The chances of being called for a medical is more likely to arise if the decision-maker doesn't have enough information from the ESA50 itself - so it's important that you give as much detail as to how your impairments affect your day-to-day life as possible.  If there's something that doesn't fit the tick-boxes, use the further information box on page 18 of the form.  Even if you end up repeating yourself in places, it's far better to give a lot than a little!

if (by some miracle) you get put in the support group, are you told how long it will be before the next worrying, stressful round of form filling and medicals come up yet again?

I'll get back to you on that one (or someone else will) if the answer is out there!  (The ESA system is still 'new' enough to mainly be at the assessment and decision stage rather than reviews of existing cases.)

Breeze

• on: 13 Jun 2012 10:51AM
Thank you so very much for that Kizzy   >star<  That has helped to put my mind at rest on the point of me being told it is a certainty i will be called for a medical regardless - i didn't think that was the case either but was very unsure so thank you for putting that right for me (i think i would have been given how badly the form was filled in!)  You have helped greatly already, so thank you for such a speedy reply on that question.   :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Jun 2012 10:57AM
 >biggrin<   >tah< >thumbsup<

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Jun 2012 11:25AM
If you can't get everything to fit in the boxes on the form, you can attach extra sheets to it I think. 
If you do that, make sure every sheet has your name and national insurance number on in case they get separated. 
Name + NI number should be written on any information sheets from other people you may enclose as well (for example if you send a doctor's report, information from a family member, support worker or anyone else).

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Jun 2012 02:09PM
You can take someone with you to the medical. They are supposed to be there mainly for support although my friend, who came with me, reminded me of things I might have forgotten to mention and there was no problem with this.

Do you know that you can have the medical recorded? You would be given a copy on CD to take home with you.

Whatever group you are put into, you will not be routinely informed when to expect the next review. You can request the ESA85 (if you have a medical) or ESA85A (if you are lucky enough to avoid a medical) and this will give you an idea. Although DWP do not have to abide by this, it is usually somewhere in that region.

Breeze

• on: 13 Jun 2012 02:32PM
Seegee - that is very useful to know, thank you for that   :-)

Hurtyback - thank you for that info also.  I'm very glad i came to the site to ask the question.

Much appreciated   >thumbsup<

Monic1511

• on: 13 Jun 2012 05:15PM
Hi Breeze

I fill these in for others every day and since Im familiar with the criteria sometimes things a claimant thinks are important wouldn't be put on the form as the issue isn't relevant but you have every right to go through the form and add extra notes.  Don't ask for a new form just add the extra stuff.
Re going for the medical - the people who are automatically exempt from the medical are people getting chemo, infectious diseases, pregnant adn I think on diaylisis.  I find the majority are being called for medicals so if you have to go for a medical then take someone with you and follow the tips Kizzy gave.

you have not rambled on at all - I probably ramble more than you  >erm< - If you have someone at the medical as an observer or helper it will be useful to you so take your worker IF you have to attend one
 >hugs<
Monic

Breeze

• on: 14 Jun 2012 11:12AM
Thanks Monic.  I'm not feeling too good at the moment but have managed to look at a few things and have discovered it is quite ok for anyone taken with you to speak as long as they are not too intrusive, so i was told wrong there.  I noticed the back of the form wasn't filled in either stating who had done it and why, so feel when my support worker comes next week she can look at it as well to check my concerns and things can be added/changed etc.

I fear the worst anyway from reading what others have said on this site...   :-(  I'm not sure if any previous medical history is taken into account either, i suspect not.

I am grateful for the support here and will let you know how things turn out.  When i'm feeling a bit more up to it i'll try and contribute to other posts as don't want to just 'take' advice and give nothing in return.  I noticed someone in the cafe i think talking about gardening and that is something i've had to try and find help with recently so maybe can contribute to that along with whatever happens to me on this route which, although i know everyone has a different experience, it might be of some use to others.

Thanks again  everyone   >star<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Jun 2012 11:33AM
Breeze,

Welcome to Ouch Too  :-)

Just a couple of points, firstly when ESA first came out it was much harder to get in either the Work Related Group or the Support group, it is still not easier but there has been a change eg I think the original figures for Support Group were 6% and they are now 25%. Part of that does have to do with the way for the first couple of years people claiming ESA were generally new sickness benefit claims and not people who had received Incapacity Benefit and tried to work. We do have some happier stories on Ouch Too about people going straight into the Support Group without a medical or people being moved from WRG to the Support Group.

My feeling is that most people will go to a medical when they first moved to ESA but then those with permanent sickness or disability will find if the put enough information on the ESA50 they are less likely to get called in again.

Secondly, in terms of time scales for reassessment it can be anything from 3 months to 2 years. I was reassessed recently and dont know when the next ESA50 will drop through the door, but I decided not to ring the DWP to try and get a time scale because it could have turned into an upsetting hassle and for me knowing the date might wind me up an worry me. What I am trying to do is look at it like I did signing on back in the 1980s queuing in a horrible scruffy somewhat scary signing on office, to get two weeks money. ESA50 is a hoop I have to jump. All that being said I am in a easier position knowing that I have been assessed twice in two years and each time got ESA.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Hey, Breeze, don't get tied up too much with 'giving nothing in return' - you can join in on any thread you like on any of the sub-boards and just by posting at all, you are contributing - whether sharing your opinion on a debate or a news item, showing amusement at some of the 'lighter' posts, playing the word games in the Cafe, asking for further advice, or simply just venting....it doesn't matter, it's all 'giving back' because you are involving yourself with other posters.  And you only have to do this when you want to!  Sometimes people like to just read and draw comfort from knowing they are not alone, and that's fine too  :-)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Hi Breeze, I should have said that you need to let them know in advance if you want your assessment recorded. This is because they only have a few sets of recording equipment for the whole country so they have to get it in place. They also have to check in advance that the HCP is happy to be recorded. You can add the request to your ESA50 if you want.

They won't take into account any previous medical history unless it is actually affecting your capacity now.

Breeze

• on: 07 Aug 2012 11:11AM
Hello all,

I was most grateful for the help everyone gave on here and haven't been on since as have felt dreadful as most do while going through this process on top of all else.  I do read regularly though and do try and fight the good fight with regard to what people are going through and try to put across to people that not all are 'scroungers' as so many try to make out.  Sometimes feel i am banging my head against a brick wall with some though but i do try.  However...

I've not been sleeping and have had so many severe anxiety attacks with all of this hanging over me as i know so many people on here have suffered while not knowing what on earth is going to happen to them.  I'm on my own at the moment so had nobody to share this with but i'm in a complete state of utter shock (especially after watching the Dispatches and Panorama progs recently).

I've just this minute had a call from the Job Centre (about 4 weeks after filling in the ESA50).  They have told me i have been put straight into the support group and will not have to attend any 'medical' and my money will stay the same - i still can't believe it!!  I asked if they knew when i may be asked to fill in another form and they said in my case it could be maybe another 3 years although they couldn't say for sure on that, regardless as you can imagine i was totally stunned but needed to share it with someone and in some way, it may give some hope to others who are worrying and i wish this result could be given to all but i have to tell you - i most certainly didn't expect it i can assure you! Just the fact i don't have to attend an assessment has been the best thing for me as i was climbing the walls with worry as i know most are.

All i did was put as much information as possible on the form in the end as it wasn't filled in at all well as i said in the first post.  I then put a letter from my support worker with the form (which i kept a copy of) and stated all the treatment i had had in the past, who i was having treatment from now and for what, everyone i had seen or am seeing and that was it really.  I'm more than pleased with the result as you can imagine and am still feeling in a daze at present...

Thank you very much for the support - i do read the board on a regular basis but hadn't felt like posting as i wasn't up to it and had imagined all kinds of things happening which were all based on the worst thing that could have happened - i still can't believe the decision.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 07 Aug 2012 11:32AM
Hurrah! Thank you for sharing your news with us - we hear so may bad stories, it is nice to balance them out with news of positive outcomes  >thumbsup<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 07 Aug 2012 11:53AM
Thank you for letting us know the good news. Experiences like yours show how hard it can be to have to go through the process of filling in the ESA 50 and waiting for news, and also that in the end the outcome can be a good one. Knowing people more are being put in the Support group without a medical is a relief.

>bighugs<