fancy migrating to Australia? Not if your family includes a disabled person

• 24 Replies

devine63

Hi all

I came across this story about a British police officer and his family who planned to migrate to Australia - but were prevented from doing so, apparently because his daughter is autistic

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/shattered-dreams-police-recruit-denied-entry-over-daughters-autism/story-e6frfm9r-1226393550335   

regards, Deb

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
Sadly that's not a one off. Even something like diabetes will block you from entering Australia with the plan to live there. Extended Holidays can even be rejected, depending on condition/medication vs plans.

I had a friend in 6th Form college whose family wanted to emigrate to Australia before she started secondary school, but couldn't get the visas because her little brother had CP.

Can't quite believe a country that prides itself on leading medical technology can be so ableist.
A man got sick because of officiate.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
I am not sure something similar is not proposed for this country. This government's recent plans include increasing minimum earnings in an attempt to avoid immigrant spouses being a 'burden' on the state but also I thought I read about some health criteria.

Not sure if that has been finalised but I suspect reasoning is similar.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
It's nothing new either many years ago prior to world war II my step father's dad emigrated to the USA not long after getting there he lost his sight so he and his family where put on a ship and deported back to the UK.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
it is the same for all commonwealth countries including the UK
it took me decades to get a UK passport, even though the rest of my family qualifed in the then usual time frame
the USA has a simillar policy

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Nothing new...

My great, great grandfather had an accident down the pit leaving him minus two limbs.

He was one of twenty children (yes, twenty - two widow/ers  with 6 & 7 kids plus 7 more together, total 20).

The other 19 emigrated to Australia and left him behind.

Fortunately, he might have lost limbs, but he didn't lose his baby-making kit or I wouldn't be here to tell his story.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

devine63

The really appalling part was that the girl was going to work, so she would not have been a "burden on the state"
regards, Deb

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Considering that the non-indigenous population of Australia has much of its roots in penal colonies - criminals transported there from the UK starting way back in 1770  - I think they are being extraordinarily precious about such matters....

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
It is in their genes.  There used to be a White Australia Policy.  Noone was allowed in if they were not of white descent.  That was changed not that many years ago.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
I gather from my brother that I have misled you woefully.  There were only 19 children in great-great-grandad's family and he did go to Australia but they sent him back.   >lol<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Who was it that famously said, 'I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member'?

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
Apparently it was Groucho Marx. Wise man!
A man got sick because of officiate.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
From what I have read only about 40% of those sentenced to transportation ever made it to Australia around 50% died on the prison hulks before leaving the UK and many then perished in transit.

So then as now only the lucky few make it to Australia.

devine63

and those most likely to die on the voyage would of course those who were poor, sick and disabled ....
regards, Deb

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
exactly

Regards John