fancy migrating to Australia? Not if your family includes a disabled person

• 24 Replies

stalwart

Considering that the non-indigenous population of Australia has much of its roots in penal colonies - criminals transported there from the UK starting way back in 1770  - I think they are being extraordinarily precious about such matters....
That's a common misconception, there were many soldiers who settled plus people looking for a new life free from persecution including lutheran  germans.

I think you'll find that most countries have similar regulations, it's the way it was interpreted that was harsh.  Btw, can you imagine a British  Civil servant doing anything different?

ChrisPage

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
I'm glad I was born Disabled, because I nearly ended up being Australian - which would've been infinitely worse!  >biggrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
They can't help what they're like - we sent all our prejudices and hang-ups over there with our migrants!  >lol<

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ChrisPage

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
I must state clearly for the record that I have never tied a Kangaroo - or any other Marsupial - down, sport.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Ah, but at the risk of getting personal, do you play with your didgeridoo?  >devil<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
The bigger question about Australians and disability is whether having three legs amounts to disability or super-ability.  For those that haven't contemplated this conundrum, here's Jake the Peg explaining his problems with his extra leg.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
You chaps  >devil<

Sunny, you beat me to it  >lol< 

Now that will be my earworm for the rest of the evening  >doh<

Jockice

• Charter Member
I used to think that song was called Jake The Pake.

SashaQ

• Charter Member

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello Stalwart

I am email friends with a disabled English man who Emigrated to Austrila he retired out there + he suffer's from white knuckle brought on by useing a drill + riverting machine so disabled people can get in so it is NOT all doom + gloom