Carers - UC

• 2 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Carers - UC

• on: 22 Jun 2012 11:38PM
At present, there are two ways for someone who cares for a disabled person to get money to live off...

1. Carers allowance, either by itself or topped up with income support;

2. Income support without carers allowance.

For the former, you need to provide 35 hours care a week, every week.

For the latter, you need to provide 'regular and substantial' care, which may be less than 35 hours.  A decision maker can take into account a variety of factors, including how disruptive the care is.  I would take this as meaning that much less than 35 hours care would qualify if the help is needed, as it is in my case, suddenly, randomly and at any time of the day or night.

I have been looking at the UC legislation and regulations.  So far as I can see, there now has to be 35 hours care every week, and the regularly and substantially (but less than 35 hours) option goes out of the window.

I can see this making quite a bit of difference to quite a few families.

In my case, I confess I saw the IS 'substantial and regular' provision as a safety net in case I don't get ESA, which I certainly wouldn't on points, only on a reg29(2)(b) exception and I wouldn't count on that.

The thought of trying to job hunt, much less work, while dashing back and forth from Dad's place is depressing.  I suppose that in the end I shall move in with him and count overnight towards the hours.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Carers - UC

• on: 23 Jun 2012 02:03PM
You don't have to move in with him 24/7 - just a couple of overnight stays each week would bump the hours up considerably...

Sofie

Re: Carers - UC

• on: 23 Jun 2012 04:27PM
It doesn't matter when these 35 hours are. You have some people who have days where they may just need a meal cooked for them and maybe help with communication. They then have days where they need night time help.