I lurve the Olympics!!

• 36 Replies

Yvette

I lurve the Olympics!!

• on: 18 Jul 2012 07:15PM
I can't wait for Friday and am getting all excited already.

I'm going to record the Opening Ceremony in case I miss any of it as someone is bound to phone - but I shall leave the ansamachine on and unless it is an urgent call whoever it is will have to wait until Saturday - in between event of course!!

I'll have the tv on all day Friday to watch the build up to the Opening Ceremony. 

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: I lurve the Olympics!!

• on: 18 Jul 2012 09:19PM
I am looking forward to the sports, but won't watch much (or any) of the opening ceremony.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 18 Jul 2012 09:49PM
I do not have a telly. 

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 18 Jul 2012 10:53PM
I have been given free tickets to the technical rehearsal of the opening ceremony next monday.  I'm quite looking forward to it, although I won't be watching the games in general.  Like auntie, I don't have a television, but I'll keep up with the headlines in the news.

Prabhakari

• on: 19 Jul 2012 08:49AM
I hope that all goes well.
I have never seen an Olympics.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Jul 2012 09:49AM
I may see a couple of finals on my computer (I don't have a TV either, but will hear a lot about it on the radio unless I turn it off completely; it'll be in every news bulletin on every station...) - after the event, but that really doesn't matter.

Most of it isn't particularly interesting to me, so I will watch/ listen to very little - I hope that everything goes smoothly & that all the people who are watching thoroughly enjoy it.   >biggergrin<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Jul 2012 11:43AM
I hope that things go well so that this country does not become, even more of, a laughing stock worldwide.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Jul 2012 11:47AM
Just a note of caution. If anyone was planning to visit Weymouth for the sailing Olympics, don't go by train. South West Trains are telling everyone they probably won't be able to cope.

Apparently they (actually British Rail at the time) electrified the line past Wareham on the cheap so they can only run 5 car trains.  They tried a 10 car train but it only managed 3 mph up an incline. (A spokesman did say they only needed 10 car trains for the Olympics once every 150 years in justification!)

They don't have enough spare diesels to run much of an improved service apart from the fact that the line is single track in places so doesn't have much capacity.

To 'compensate' they will have a fleet of buses standing by at Bournemouth to take excess passengers by road. The good news is that they don't expect many people to be travelling by train to Weymouth anyway, particularly as they are advising them to travel by car.

Please note that if it rains like it has been the car will need to be amphibious as the Olympic car parks flood.

Prabhakari

• on: 19 Jul 2012 12:50PM
I know about weak electric locomotives.
My train simulators have done a very good job.
The London to Brighton line is a good example.

Good news. The Queen's special train has extra-powerful engines. Isn't she lucky.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Jul 2012 01:10PM
It did occur to me that perhaps South West Trains could hire a few stream engines and coaches from the nearby Swanage Railway. They have some locos that used to run to Weymouth so they have the power. could be a tourist attraction as well. I bet some jobsworth would find a reason why not.

Sorry for hi-jacking thread.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 19 Jul 2012 01:41PM
I am not going to watch it, firstly because I am not that interested in it and secondary I don't want to see the things that are going to happen.

I don't think it's going to be nice... :-(
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

F2M. Pre-Op.

Yvette

• on: 20 Jul 2012 09:11AM
I know what you mean.

When the Olympics were first announced I said (on the old BBC board) that I would not go because of the terrorists attempting to kill people.

However, I am glad people are going, if only to show the terrorists they are not going to ruin our lives (or Olympics).

DD, I am green with envy.  You lucky, lucky, lucky person.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Jul 2012 01:40PM
Well, there do appear to be many tickets left.  After making such a whoo-har about how difficult they were to get, all they did was put people off by the complicated system and the scare newspaper stories.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Jul 2012 02:48PM
We applied for tickets first time round, but did not get any. Since then, it has become obvious that I would not be able to manage anyway, so we haven't applied for any more. I would have been very happy to go, had I been able.

Sofie

• on: 20 Jul 2012 07:39PM
A friend is taking part in something related to the Olympics; can't remember what though.