NEETs to receive a wake up call

• 3 Replies

AccessOfficer

NEETs to receive a wake up call

• on: 20 Jul 2012 02:56PM
Teenagers taking part in the Government’s drive to get them into work will receive a phone call to wake them up in the morning. Those participating in a scheme currently being run in the North East will receive the calls to get them into a working routine. The scheme is part of the coalition’s £126million Youth Contract being offered to NEETs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9412729/Ministers-to-pay-private-companies-to-wake-up-and-drive-teenagers-to-work.html

Surely they must run out of these sorts of gimmicks soon?
Regards
AO
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2012 02:58PM by AccessOfficer »

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

Re: NEETs to receive a wake up call

• on: 20 Jul 2012 03:28PM
Very useful to those 19-year-olds who get bar work in the near future so that their working routine involves getting home from work at 3:30am I'm sure... or anyone who gets any kind of shift work - even retailers have people working nights.  >doh< 
Is there no politician who has ever noticed that lots of people are working but not in 9-5 jobs? 

Emergency services, care workers, retail staff, restaurants, bars, cinemas, theatres, cleaners, post-workers, delivery drivers - there must be hundreds of other jobs that either have to have somone working all the time or mainly work from 6am/ 5pm... and some of these are certainly open to 17-year-olds. 

The main trouble is that the number of advertised jobs appears to be much lower than the number of applicants in most parts of UK - and it's unfair to blame young unemployed people for that (what were they supposed to do while at school to make sure there would be employment in their region now?). 
There are plenty of slightly older people who got good exam results, went on to college & university - lots of them are now jobseeking too (a degree does not equal a job), having recently graduated.

Richard_D

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 20 Jul 2012 03:39PM
"Teenagers taking part in the Government’s drive to get them into work will receive a phone call to wake them up in the morning..."

The stupidity of this idea is astounding. How will that work if people can turn their mobile phones offer?  >doh<

Anyway if you want to get yourself into a routine you will be the one to make the steps to make it happen...

>erm<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

Sofie

• on: 20 Jul 2012 05:13PM
I'm sure my dad would appreciate being woke up by a phone call for me after going to bed at 3am. Not.