Put in WRAG

• 29 Replies

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student

Put in WRAG

• on: 27 Jul 2012 01:56PM
I got a letter this morning about my ESA. It was almost identical to the one I got a few months ago, except on one of the pages it talks about being in the Work Related Activity Group instead of the Support Group.

Now, I know I should be used to this by now, but isn't that just a bit sneaky? I've had no letter saying "We've read your form and we feel as though you're fit enough for the WRAG" or anything along those lines, and if i hadn't have been reading clearly enough, which is a huge risk when I'm on my pain meds, I wouldn't have even noticed the difference. Is that how it always goes?

I just feel as though I should have had a letter that started it clearly. I became a bit worried because it's dated back from April. I called up and they said that's just because of the financial year start date, but I was worried I'd been on the WRAG all that time and was only finding out about it now.
A man got sick because of officiate.

JLRRAC

Re: Put in WRAG

• on: 27 Jul 2012 02:19PM
RedAndBlue your posting there has me a wee bit concerned. I would like to ask your permission to copy it and send it onto my MP's office, will my doing this be OK with you?

If I might explain a bit more about why I am so concerned RedAndBlue, I've mentioned recently in some of my postings that the DWP decision maker in my case has put me into the wrag group, making his/her decision on the 29th of June but as yet failing to notify me officially so now whilst my MP's secretary has asked me to give it till the end of the first week in August before I call her regarding this and so following having read your post there I'm begining to wonder if something's up.

I would aslo be concerned to understand how any right to appeal or passported benefits you may be entitled to might be affected?  As you were saying you only noticed the very slight change in the appearance of the letter to that which you received previously, I have a feeling this similarity in the letters is no accident and the reason behind this is the impact on your benefit entitlements.

Cheers, JLRRAC.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 03:25PM
Red and Blue,

It does annoy me that the letters are not clearer and in my case I only knew for sure what the outcome was because I was being paid the Support Group rate and not the WRAG rate.

How the letter ambiguity affects each person is going to depend on their personal circumstances. Are you being moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA like JLRRAC has been if so I think it is more important to know what the decision is however if a person is a recent claimant of sickness benefit eg only ever claimed ESA and is on income based benefits I do feel it is much the same being on WRAG as the Support Group albeit people have to go for worked focussed interviews.

Actually there is a point to think about if you have not been called into a interview since the decision makers outcome then it is likely you have been on Support Group.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 04:11PM
RedAndBlue your posting there has me a wee bit concerned. I would like to ask your permission to copy it and send it onto my MP's office, will my doing this be OK with you?
Yes, sure! I won't be able to get it scanned in until tomorrow morning, will that be alright? Also there's four pages, I can't imagine you'd want all the standardised bumph to it so just the first and page where they break down the components or just one of them?

If I might explain a bit more about why I am so concerned RedAndBlue, I've mentioned recently in some of my postings that the DWP decision maker in my case has put me into the wrag group, making his/her decision on the 29th of June but as yet failing to notify me officially so now whilst my MP's secretary has asked me to give it till the end of the first week in August before I call her regarding this and so following having read your post there I'm begining to wonder if something's up.

I would aslo be concerned to understand how any right to appeal or passported benefits you may be entitled to might be affected?

Yes, this was one of the reasons why I called up in the first place. With no proper letter to inform me that I was in the WRAG, it was a bit of a shock to read I'm now on Contributions based ESA. Which means I'm gonna have to pay for my next dentist visit and any medications I'll be getting until I manage to appeal.
And the April thing panicked me cos I had a moment of worrying whether I'd been on it all that time, since before I filled in the form even, and didn't know! Cos I've been to the dentist and got my repeat prescriptions filled a few times since then.

As you were saying you only noticed the very slight change in the appearance of the letter to that which you received previously, I have a feeling this similarity in the letters is no accident and the reason behind this is the impact on your benefit entitlements.

Cheers, JLRRAC.

It wouldn't surprise me. To give you a better idea before I scan it in, all it says is that the amount of money has changed, that the change will apply from April, then the usual stuff, and then I think it's page 4 where it breaks down the components and says ESA Work Related Activity Group.

If I wasn't informed as I was, or wasn't as gobby as I am, I wouldn't have known that I could even appeal or anything. I think it's an awful way to inform me on what's going to affect me a lot.

JLRRAC

• on: 27 Jul 2012 04:33PM
RedAndBlue, I'll not need you to be scanning your JP+ letter it is your posting I'm looking to forward, if that's the right term, onto my MP's secretary. Thanks though for offering to go to all that bother RedAndBlue.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 05:05PM
Red and Blue,

It does annoy me that the letters are not clearer and in my case I only knew for sure what the outcome was because I was being paid the Support Group rate and not the WRAG rate.

How the letter ambiguity affects each person is going to depend on their personal circumstances. Are you being moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA like JLRRAC has been if so I think it is more important to know what the decision is however if a person is a recent claimant of sickness benefit eg only ever claimed ESA and is on income based benefits I do feel it is much the same being on WRAG as the Support Group albeit people have to go for worked focussed interviews.

No, I was moved from IB to ESA when they first started swapping it around. I think because it came in a few months after I'd dropped out of uni, and the newer claiments were getting swapped around first? I'm just moving from Income based ESA Support Group to Contributions based WRAG.

It's the work focused interviews I'll be struggling with. Between the pain meds and their subsequent side effects, all of the pain I'm in and just generally my whole health, plus my need of assistance to attend, right this moment in time I am not fit for any more appointments. The hospital ones wipe me out as it is.

I can't work out a good balance for the life style I'm living now, how I'm meant to be fit for building up employability, I've no idea. Which sucks, cos I know I've got a good brain on my shoulders and it's going to waste because of my body. I don't need the DWP making me feel worse about it :/

Actually there is a point to think about if you have not been called into a interview since the decision makers outcome then it is likely you have been on Support Group.
I think I got too worked up before, I'm not sure I understand this sentence? Sorry! DX

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 05:07PM
RedAndBlue, I'll not need you to be scanning your JP+ letter it is your posting I'm looking to forward, if that's the right term, onto my MP's secretary. Thanks though for offering to go to all that bother RedAndBlue.

Oh!  >doh<
Oh in that case, be my guest. Glad I could help. 

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 06:55PM
RedAndBlue, if your only income is ESA, you should be able to get free prescriptions, dental care, etc on the grounds of low income; ask for a form HC1 http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx - some dentists, opticians or even DWP offices keep copies or you can order one from t'internet...

Fizzbw

• on: 27 Jul 2012 07:42PM
I never got any official confirmation, just the letter with the breakdown of money where it said Support Group component (after I had asked fro a reconsideration). Both times I received a letter informing me how I could appeal the decision, not saying what the decision was, before I got the financial breakdown thus letting me know which group they had put me.

The whole thing is designed to be obsfucating and as difficult as possible, obviously on the hope that  we all don't notice or understand. Given the floodof letters saying the same thing, why a simple letter saying "you are in the xxxxx group" can't be sent I have no idea.

Fizzbw x

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 27 Jul 2012 08:55PM
I said the same thing, how can you appeal if you dont have the information with the letter? I didnt bother with the appeal as i was struggling with a million and one other things going on.I was so scared they would remove all my entitlement and i would be left with nothing, so i did nothing and now im about to be left with nothing, except now i do volunteering when im fit and able. My dude at the JCP is a nice chap who didnt make too many demands and has seen me in quite some states. High on my drugs, in pain at the end of my drugs, unable to sit/stand/walk for more than a few mins. At the end of my teather and on a high because the school allowed me 4 hours a week vollunteering. 
The whole thing is set up to make it difficult and confusing.
My friend learnt her outcome from the housing benefit people telling her that it had been stoppped as she was not entitled to esa. She appealed the decision and after 18 months was given wrag, only to get the call up letter a couple of weeks later, same thing happened again housing benefit told her benefit was stoppped.. she is now appealing the desicion again. Each time she seems to lose a couple of days benefit somehow.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member

• on: 28 Jul 2012 12:04AM
RedAndBlue, if your only income is ESA, you should be able to get free prescriptions, dental care, etc on the grounds of low income; ask for a form HC1 http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx - some dentists, opticians or even DWP offices keep copies or you can order one from t'internet...

It's not my only income if DLA counts, which I've been told doesn't. But i'll look into it, because I know it wouldn't be the first time official DWP workers have been wrong. Before I went to uni, the woman I used to see at the jobcentre told me that I could keep claiming IB until the second month of Uni. I've no idea where she got that idea from but you very much can't.

Thank you for the link!

bubble

• on: 28 Jul 2012 09:36AM
The letters IMO should state clearly at the top what group you are in.

They DONT............ I had to trawl through mine to find out, it was at the bottom of the first page, I was put in the support group, but it then went on about the wrag group interviews etc. No wonder people are confused. >doh<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2012 05:18PM

Actually there is a point to think about if you have not been called into a interview since the decision makers outcome then it is likely you have been on Support Group. by Sunshine

I think I got too worked up before, I'm not sure I understand this sentence? Sorry! DX

Red and Blue,

Sorry I was tired and not being clear.

I thought you were worried about what group you had been in since April, were not sure if it was WRAG or the Support Group, and I was saying that if you had not been called in for  a work focused interview back when you first received ESA then it was more likely you were in the Support group because if you were in WRAG you would have been called in.

Danslatete,

I said the same thing, how can you appeal if you dont have the information with the letter? I didnt bother with the appeal as i was struggling with a million and one other things going on.I was so scared they would remove all my entitlement and i would be left with nothing, so i did nothing and now im about to be left with nothing, except now i do volunteering when im fit and able. My dude at the JCP is a nice chap who didnt make too many demands and has seen me in quite some states. High on my drugs, in pain at the end of my drugs, unable to sit/stand/walk for more than a few mins. At the end of my teather and on a high because the school allowed me 4 hours a week vollunteering. 

In April I was moved from WRAG to the Support group just a few weeks before my contributions based WRAG ESA ran out. My experience leads me to believe that people who were assessed in 2008-2010 now have a better chance of being put in the Support Group and this means it is worth asking to have another assessment especially if you are in the same position I was in.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 28 Jul 2012 08:26PM
I got a brownie today, My ehaustion date is the 5th of Sept. My letter says we will no longer pay you from the 6th of Sept, fair enough, then the next page says you will be paid up to and including 4th. So does that mean that although the 5th is the exhaustion date, the 4th is the last day of payment and then the 6th is what?
It looks like i shall be missing 1 day of payment? they are so confusing.

JLRRAC

• on: 28 Jul 2012 08:32PM
I guess the 6th is the date from which you either learn to live on fresh air in the fresh air or recover from your disabilities over night, that is the DWP have made an appointment with the patron Saint of miracles for your cure to happen overnight from the 4th to the 5th on the 6th you are to be deemed fit.