The Best of Men on TV

• 22 Replies

oldtone27

• Charter Member

The Best of Men on TV

• on: 15 Aug 2012 02:01PM
The programme is a drama about a Dr. Guttmann who introduced sport to injured soldiers at Stoke Mandeville and effectively started the paralympics. Tomorrow BBC2 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m1jqd

I understand many of the actors are paraplegic but its a bit of a pity that Bob Brydon is one of the leads, and not one who has truly experienced the trauma. Perhaps they wanted to inject a comic element? We shall see.

ChrisPage

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

Re: The Best of Men on TV

• on: 15 Aug 2012 02:47PM
The programme is a drama about a Dr. Guttmann who introduced sport to injured soldiers at Stoke Mandeville and effectively started the paralympics. Tomorrow BBC2 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m1jqd

I understand many of the actors are paraplegic but its a bit of a pity that Bob Brydon is one of the leads, and not one who has truly experienced the trauma. Perhaps they wanted to inject a comic element? We shall see.

Rob's a great actor, and I'm sure he'll do an excellent job. My friend David Proud is in it, so I'll be tuning in.

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 15 Aug 2012 04:51PM
I saw a little on tv this morning.
Looks interesting.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Aug 2012 12:30PM
Thanks for the reminder, I need to set up to record this.

ChrisPage

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 16 Aug 2012 11:10PM
It was a fantastic programme. Guttman was very much my kind of doctor - he had no truck with the restrictions of authority, and put his patients first. The cameraderie of the men on the ward reminds me of when I was in and out of hospital as a kid. That's where I developed my dark sense of humour. I also met people like Doctor Cowan, who thought they were gods, and all should tremble before them. Full marks to Eddie Marsan as Guttman, but Rob Brydon was absolutely brilliant as Wynn. It wasn't an easy watch, but it was well worth the ride.  >thumbsup< >thumbsup<

suessad

• on: 17 Aug 2012 07:58AM
Brilliant.   >thumbsup<

''He received the OBE and CBE in the United Kingdom and in addition was honoured worldwide. In 1966, he was knighted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.''

Thankfully he was acknowledged for his great work.

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !

• on: 17 Aug 2012 09:59AM
Great programme ...moving without being mawkish and allowing all the characters to be people first .  Hope lots of people whod not reallly normally watch things about disabled people watched.. Rob Bryden may just have been a name that would encourage this and he was great as wynne.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 11:27AM
Despite my earlier misgivings I have to say I agree with Chris. The program was very good and it seemed to tell the story well and without undue sentimentality.

Perhaps some similarly well crafted dramas about other disability pioneers would make a worthwhile series.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 01:20PM
I thought the program might upset me so almost did not watch it, but as it turned out the program was really good.

Full marks to Eddie Marsan as Guttman

I thought he was excellent and so was a lot of the script like when he was talking to the army officer about ' slowly slowly catches monkey. Also the bit when he kicked the trolley and the bed pans were scattered, it showed so much about his character that he went back and picked them all up.

Here is the iPlayer link,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m1jqd/The_Best_of_Men/

please not the option to view expires in six days.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 06:30PM
I've just watched it and enjoyed it very much.  It's astounding how much one doctor achieved.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 17 Aug 2012 07:07PM
I enjoyed this as well - bits made me laugh & Rob Brydon singing Men of Harlem gave me the shivers
The reviews are good as well.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 09:03PM
I really enjoyed it. I was shocked at the 'coffins' they bought them in. How things have changed and for the better thankfully.

sherbs

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 09:43PM
I must say that the Spinal injuries Unit that i stayed on was not unlike the one at Stoke Mandervile!!, so things haven't changed that much.

We had similar rehab albeit in newer surroundings, and i remember being turned every 2 - 3 hrs through the night, so as not to get bed sores, and having to lay on a special bed i think it was a "striker bed" it was turned every so often, and this was just 20 yrs ago.

I really think things have come along, they now have special beds, and mattresses, but all in all still much the same and i was on a mixed ward!!!

gammagirl

• on: 17 Aug 2012 10:38PM
I loved it and so did MrGG - who is generally quite negative about such things and drama can be a bit hit and miss with him (lack of empathy thing/aspbergers)

I wish I'd met the Dr - he rocked. Pitched perfectly.

I was also amazed at how much of what he brought it is basically still the same, whether it be principle or treatment, as well as how much as changed. It's only recently they've stopped turning patients for bed sores prevention because of the special beds they have now, and how they managed anything in those wheelchairs! a huge amount of respect for all those involved from the 1940s onwards.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 18 Aug 2012 03:31PM
I have this recorded to my +box, not watched it yet but looking forward to ding so. I will be viewing this from the view of HCP rathr than service user.

Sherbs, I nursed patients in the 'striker' bed back in the mid/late70s, your comment brought back the memories.