Right to Leave.

• 26 Replies

devine63

Re: Right to Leave.

• on: 16 Aug 2012 07:06PM
Hi

the judges have made the only decision the current law allows, the only possibility is for the matter to be raised in parliament, probably as a private members bill.

However I do also think that if such a proposal is going to be made (and I am in favour as there is a strong possibility I will sometime find myself in this sort of position (being kept alive longer than I want - which I consider to be torture!) I think that part of it should be to create a new profession - Euthanist.  It is not reasonable to ask doctors to carry out deliberate euthanasia as they are pledged to "do no harm".

And before anyone says "no one would take that job": I personally would be willing to train for it tomorrow! [providing it was legal, etc., of course]
regards, Deb

*edited to remove capitals
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2012 07:53PM by devine63 »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Aug 2012 07:10PM
being kept alive longer than I want - which I consider to be torture!

That's an interesting point, actually - what would the European Court of Human Rights have to say about it, I wonder?

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 16 Aug 2012 08:49PM
its a question of equality, if ABs can end their lives legally then so should we

this decision is not protecting vunerable people, it is condemning us

the slippery slope arguement does not stand up in places where assisted suicide is legal

what hasn't happened today is not the mark of a civilised people, but a totally barbaric society

do we actually own our bodies or does the state?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Aug 2012 10:25PM
I think that it is deemed that the state owns our bodies.  That is why these things have to go to court for decisions.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 11:38AM
its a question of equality, if ABs can end their lives legally then so should we

In this country it is not legal to assist an AB to commit suicide. The crucial difference of course is that the AB has the opportunity to do it themselves (mostly).

I think the judges didn't want to touch this and passed it back to parliament, and really it is for parliament to decide. It is not for judges to make the law on the hoof.

Blame parliament for failing to tackle the problem seriously. Occasionally it arises, I think as private members bills which are not allowed time to develop into proper bills. When was it last debated as part of a serious piece of potential legislation and not tagged on to sometime else?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 01:14PM
Deb,

I think that part of it should be to create a new profession - Euthanist.

Your suggestion reminded me of the scene near the end of the movie Soylent Green where the old man goes to a to his death and smiles as he gets to listen to classical music and watch a countryside scene as he dies.

Oldtone,

I heard an interview on Radio 4 You and Yours with the man you mentioned who recovered. He had a stroke and for a time was put on a ventilator and it made me think about the importance of a Living Will or at least making sure family members or close friends know what my wishes would be. If a person makes it clear they would rather die than be kept alive then it is worth thinking about the decision not to save someone. I realise how odd this is going to sound especially given them man on Radio 4 wanted to live but then if his family knew that before hand he would be saved.

Pentesalie

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Aug 2012 03:44PM
Hi Prab, yes there are many chronic illness currently residing in me. As luck would have it though my GP's wife shares the Carbamazepine-using one that you and I also share, so he has a good practical as well as theoretic take on it and is very kind and helpful.
Love and hugs, Pen. >bighugs<

Update on Tony Nickolson's plight from the Inde
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lockedin-syndrome-sufferer-lose-legal-challenge-over-assisted-dying-8053451.html

Sofie

• on: 17 Aug 2012 04:01PM
What a sad situation for all involved. I do believe he should have the right to do and whoever helps him, shouldn't face charges.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 18 Aug 2012 12:00PM
Seems strange to me that this poor man can be left with no lawful way out  but doctors are permitted to allow a child to die by withdrawing treatment and nutrition with the full backing of the courts even when the parents of that child object.

Personally if a loved one of mine where faced with the situation that Tony Nickolson and his family are faced with I would help him and face the consequences what ever they are. 
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

devine63

• on: 18 Aug 2012 06:36PM
Even more sadly, Tony does have two other options (apart from pursuing court cases or parliamentary action) - he can choose to start refusing food (it would then take about 3-4 weeks for him to die, slowly and painfully) or he can choose to refuse both food and liquids (which is supposed to take about 3 days, but it is a lot nastier).   No doctor can force him to accept fluids while he is compos mentis and in these circumstances I doubt if anyone would try - but it's a horrible thing for him and his family and friends to have to go through....

regards, Deb

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member

• on: 18 Aug 2012 07:06PM
Hello Devine 63

Is'nt tourte against human rights ? so should the high court be prosocuted for an ill-legal act ?

devine63

• on: 18 Aug 2012 08:03PM
hi Bule

they have not done anything illegal, it's his personal circumstances which amount to torture.  I don't know if that issue can be argued in the next court case, we will have to wait and see.
regards, Deb