Pleasee read this, media representation truth

• 41 Replies

Sofie

I really don't get the big deal about people coming off ESA before the assessment. I once asked on another forum what happens if I have my operation [this isn't happening now] in regards to JSA? The response was you can have 2 weeks sickness on JSA before you have to go on to ESA.

I know that needing a few weeks off sick isn't that unusual.

hossylass

Its because they have no records yet about what happens to these people, regardless of being asked by the W&P committee, so MP's and the media are still free to "guess" why these people are no longer claiming.
They dont want to collate what happens to these people, as then they wont have the propaganda.

The media is still pretending that ESA is a long term benefit, when it is anything but, except for the most disabled with the least functionality.

Problem is, by the time that everyone is on the short term benefit ESA, the media and government will claim that the reduction is because people were fraudulent.

Richard_D

• Charter Member and Volunteer
"Dear Richard,

many thanks for your correspondence.

Are you aware that within the deaf community there are those who consider deafness to be an impairment but that it is the actions of society that disable them?
Hopefully the employers at the jobs fair recognised that it is their lack of communication skills that are holding deaf and Deaf people back in employment.

As for your slight about what I do for disabled people, what I do is what I am doing now with you - I try to communicate ideas and the reality of being disabled to those who have no impairments, and try to support those who have.

Many of the people I correspond with are disabled by their conditions, which have symptoms that include incredible amounts of uncontrolled pain, and the associated fatigue and depression that is co-morbid to pain.
I am interested to know how people who are in this degree of pain are expected to work.

Regarding those who have sensory or mobility only issues, with no pain, fatigue, cognitive impairment, well many of them do work, and the remainder regularly describe their problems with employers, an inflexible benefit system, inaccessible transport and Access to Work.

Please don't tell me that Access to Work helps, a very good friend recently asked them to assist with her business start up.
They stated that they didn't think her self-employment would be viable, and that they would not contribute unless there was a viable business proposal that paid sufficient that she came off means-tested benefits.
For the lady in question this was impossible, she could never work enough hours to be self supporting.
She has now shelved her ideas until Universal Credit comes in, as she is assured that working and Universal Credit would pay more than benefits, and she will try again.

So no, I didn't organise a jobs fair - I am disabled and the logistics would be too great for me, however I am trying to help others, unpaid, often unthanked, unlike yourself who should be organising these events as a representative of this county and a well reimbursed Commoner.

As for the comment about disabled people being termed "the disabled", then please ask other opinions, maybe from the charities that you associate with.

Again, many thanks for your communication."

Well I e-mailed him back with the above on the 14 November and I have heard nothing back from him yet...
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011 12:28PM by Dark_Divinity »
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
It seems that my MP isn't responding to me anymore either.

lankou

• Charter Member
It seems that my MP isn't responding to me anymore either.

Neither is mine after my last e-mail which was CCd to the Truro Diocesan office  which detailed the number of extra potential homeless the "Welfare Reforms" are likely to cause in Cornwall, shortly afterwards the Bishops letter criticising welfare reforms appeared in the national media.
Source of number of potential homeless:-
http://www.shu.ac.uk/_assets/pdf/cresr-final-incapacity-benefit-reform.pdf

hossylass

Looks like your MP has nothing left to say DD ;)

Sadly it seems some of them are too ashamed / embarrassed / uncaring / indifferent to respond...

Nice work Ian - shame on your MP too... the MP in question wouldn't be a female, who claims that disabled people simply "dont understand" the reforms, and that she visits them and when "She" has explained it to them (in their living rooms no less !) then they are quite happy, by any chance?

Richard_D

Looks like your MP has nothing left to say DD ;)

Sadly it seems some of them are too ashamed / embarrassed / uncaring / indifferent to respond...

Nice work Ian - shame on your MP too... the MP in question wouldn't be a female, who claims that disabled people simply "dont understand" the reforms, and that she visits them and when "She" has explained it to them (in their living rooms no less !) then they are quite happy, by any chance?

Do you think there would be any point sending them an e-mail thanking them for replying back to my last e-mail?
(Which they never replied back to...)

hossylass

You could email and ask them what response they had from the DWP, as he stated that they would investigate your claims about the IB PCA and the ESA WCA.
That would restart communication.

Should they fail then you could send a complaint into "They work for you" explaining that the MP refused further communications... that should get their whip to have a word about treating their constituents better.

hossylass

I think probably you have debated them into a shameful silence... quite simply they have no arguement left as you have (politely) destroyed their superior position and shown them to be ignorant of disability and disabled people, and also shown them that they are part of the problem.

Hopefully he has actually gone away to lick his wounds and consider his position and his attitudes and replies to you.
I suspect though it is more likely that he is sulking.

Richard_D

Dear Richard,

many thanks for your correspondence.

I will forward it to the DWP for their comments and am happy to change my views if they agree with you.

I know that as an MP you are a very busy person doing lots of different things.

Have you managed to forward it to the Department for Work and Pensions  and received their comments regarding what I was e-mailing you about?

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011 01:34PM by Dark_Divinity »

hossylass

I think that is excellent, exactly the right pitch - he will know you are having a dig at him, but anyone else who read it would think you are an interested and concerned person who appears to be supporting him.

With that sort of passive attacking you could be challenging him for his job next !

Its quite good fun MP baiting ;) especially if you never seem to be baiting them.

Richard_D

You could email and ask them what response they had from the DWP, as he stated that they would investigate your claims about the IB PCA and the ESA WCA.
That would restart communication.

Should they fail then you could send a complaint into "They work for you" explaining that the MP refused further communications... that should get their whip to have a word about treating their constituents better.

E-mail them with a complaint or fill out a form on their website?
Have you done that before, if so could you give me some information how you did it?