Author Topic: A second BBC paedophile cover-up.  (Read 4706 times)

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
Re: A second BBC paedophile cover-up.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2012 09:08PM »
On the topic of the OP, David Nicolson is a known opportunistic within the BBC. What he's saying might be true, but unfortunately he's been found to lie about a lot of things in order to advance his career. Like he wasn't a director of any show, and a lot of journalists bizarrely don't recall ever knowing/meeting him, and these are the good journalists who would jump at a chance to blame anyone within the BBC.

It seems his statements and accounts are just adding mud to the waters rather than aiding any investigations.

From the Private Eye article: http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=street_of_shame&

And what of “top TV director” David Nicolson, who informed the Sun that he had discovered Savile having sex in a BBC dressing room with a fan aged “16, maybe 15… She had long brown hair and looked very, very young”, only to meet with indifference when he tried to report the incident to his bosses?

An extensive grilling

Nicolson was never a director – he was a production manager, a crucial role but one considerably lower down the BBC hierarchy. While this may have been the Sun over-egging his position rather than Nicolson himself, it is also worth noting the circumstances under which he departed the BBC’s employ.

Nicolson was the production manager on Noel Edmonds’ Late Late Breakfast Show, leaving his job shortly after he faced an extensive grilling about his professionalism at the inquest into the death of Michael Lush, a member of the public who was killed attempting a dangerous stunt for the programme in 1986. Former colleagues suspect that Nicolson still feels he was sacrificed to save Edmonds and producer Michael Hurll, and that his outburst last week was a belated revenge.

If he had that much of a problem with the presenter, they ask, why did he attend Savile’s funeral in Leeds last year?
A man got sick because of officiate.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2012 09:54PM »
Not defending them but there was a documentary on Channel 4 a few years ago on which they interviewed several paedophiles, most of whom didn't want to feel that sort of attraction to kids but were stuck with it and wished it would go away. I remember one who was (I think) in his sixties saying that he'd never touched a child as he knew it was wrong but had had to fight against these urges for his entire adult life.

It's the only time in the media I've ever seen them not completely portrayed as depraved predators. It's hard to describe without sounding like an apologist for sex crimes (which I'm not) but...well, can you imagine having that sort of feelings? I'm just glad I don't.

I was thinking of practising paedophiles, Jockice - now, those who have the urge but don't follow it up in any way, shape or form because they have a conscience... well, yes, they do have my sympathy actually!  Thought is not yet a crime, and if it's only in their heads, they are not hurting anyone else but themselves...

Regarding the main topic, there's a 'Panorama' tonight at 10.30 pm on BBC1 - 'Jimmy Saville - What The BBC Knew':

A Panorama Special investigates the Jimmy Savile child abuse scandal and asks what the BBC knew in the past, and examines the events around the dropping of the corporation's own Newsnight investigation into the subject.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2012 01:48AM »
The Saville programme was chilling in parts - especially the shots of 'Clunk Click', a programme that preceded Jim'll Fix It.  Particularly unsettling were shots featuring Gary Glitter and Saville with their arms round girls on beanbags that formed the audience. The audience members  were all teenage girls from residential care. I'm sure I heard JS refer to Broadmoor.

Re Derek McCulloch (not McCullough; that's for Northern Ireland), it seems strange that John Simpson disguised him so thinly, in one way; there was only one Uncle that everyone of a certain age remembers on the radio. Quite a few youngsters who later became reasonably famous featured on Children's Hour; makes you wonder what else is about to be revealed.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Fizzbw

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2012 11:00AM »
Regarding castration or chemical castration as a treatment for these people. It didn't work for Alan Turing.....

Not that gay is anyway the same as paedoism....but if it didn't work for the first, it won't work for the second.

Fx

JLRRAC

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2012 02:16PM »
I don't know if anyone would feel what I am about to mention is me just being a bit daft but when they were showing one particular clip of Savile, the one where he is appearing on Top of the Pops with a bunch of lassies around him (I know there are many such clips).

In the clip one lass standing to the right of Savile as you look at the tv screen appears to be staring in an odd sort of way, almost trance like, at Savile whilst all the other lassies are looking to the camera's. The lass is wearing, if I mind right either dark trousers or sort of hot pants and it appears as if the zip on the trousers/shorts has not been done up. There is a bright glint at the bottom of where the fly on her trousers/shorts would be. As a guy I know only too well how easy it is to forget to do up me zip after using a bathroom and how the little finger grip of the zip tends to fall forwards. Given what we have come to know now about Savile I just wonder if this lassie's expression, the way she is staring at Savile is down to her having been abused shortly before the filming of that particular edition of ToTP's.

Like I say maybe I'm just being daft.