Permitted Work

• 5 Replies

WeDesign

• Gold Member

Permitted Work

• on: 15 Nov 2012 06:21PM
I have been doing 3 hrs work a week and receiving under £20.00 for a few years, I have notified the DWP.

I recently had my Face to Face Assessment and am awaiting the outcome.

If they fail me and say fit for work I will be appealing, my question is can I continue to do my 3 hrs whilst the appeal is in progress?

WD

Monic1511

Re: Permitted Work

• on: 15 Nov 2012 08:10PM
Hi
To be honest I don't know - I've looked at the book and I can't see the senario there.
I have had clients doing permitted work and appealling a decision but I think it was the wrag placement they were appealling.

Monic

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 26 Nov 2012 05:53PM
any news- If its bad we generally can advise

Breeze

• on: 06 Dec 2012 12:16AM
Actually, i was going to ask about this.  My support worker was telling me she had seen it 'in black and white' that it was 'ok' to do voluntary work while on ESA.  As far as i'm aware i have previously been told that even if you feel you can cope with trying, it would go against you with regard to any benefit you receive or if you were in the support group and it was considered to be 'theraputic' with regards to your condition, you may end up taken out of the support group.

If anyone knows of the rules regarding this it would be appreciated.  Thank you.

steve123

• on: 08 Dec 2012 04:35PM
I was on the old IB benefit back when I had my very first op on my hip back in 1996. I chose this time to have the op as I was in between jobs. Once I was able to walk with a stick I did some voluntary work at my local library. The DWP were ok with this and I did it for 6 months before returning to work full time.
Then I had an op on my hip in 2010. Again in between jobs. I was put on the new ESA in the WRAG and again as soon as I could walk with a stick I asked at a work focus interview if I could do some voluntary work. They said yes as the new ESA benefit is flexible and allows for this. I only did it for a few months before going back to work fulltime so never had the ATOS assessment when working voluntary.
Now I am back having just had a revision op on my left hip and waiting for a full hip replacement on my right hip sometime in 2013. I am in the support group, been put in it for the next 12 months. Now from what I have read about the ESA regardless of which group you are in, stories about people failing the ATOS assessment if they can watch tv for up to an hour, they are fit for work! So if you do some voluntary work as you are aloud if you inform them I can see ATOS using it against you at your next assessment for sure. With some of the descriptors being used to say you’re now fit for work. I.e. you can sit for a period of time and concentrate (watch tv). I do think doing voluntary work would be used to prove you are fit for work. Don’t seem to sound negative but the way ATOS is working the assessments I think before long we will come across a story about a person being able to breathe on their own without a respirator being found fit for work as they can get a job testing deep sea diving equipment or blowing out candles on birthday cakes at MacDonald’s!
Or maybe it is just me being cynical! 

Breeze

• on: 09 Dec 2012 12:08PM
Steve, i totally agree with every word you have said there!  That was the whole point of how things worked previously - voluntary work is something you can try and if you feel one day you can't make it due to feeling ill, then you are under no obligation to go and it wasn't held against people at all if they did voluntary work as in your own experience.  Now, it is a totally different story and it most certainly is held against people, as you say, breathing is held against people in a lot of cases!  Where my support worker got this information from i don't know, but i do know she has it wrong i'm afraid.

Recently she suggested i gave up my driving licence as i hadn't used it for 17 years anyway.  This was on the grounds that i could try to apply for a disabled bus pass.  When i checked into this myself, the travel company in my area clearly stated that for the past 2 years people could only get a disabled bus pass now if they are on the high rate of mobility DLA.  She had the wrong information again i'm afraid.