The Christmas Thread - for Christmas Lovers Only

• 96 Replies

Yvette

This thread is a *positive* thread about Christmas.

For those who do not like Christmas, I've started an alternative thread for you to use, so everyone will be catered for.

This morning I have started playing my Christmas Cds.  I have such a huge collection I have to start playing them now so I can get to listen to them all.

I am currently listening to Mariah Carey belting out, 'Christmas' which she does very well indeed.  I have classical Christmas albums and choir carol albums too - a very eclectic collection.

I am going to resist buying a new CD this year - although I have been tempted by the new Rod Stewart Christmas CD.  I may leave it until next Christmas as the price will have come down a bit.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
I'm not much for Christmas CD but I have a few mostly given free with newspapers.

Most have the usual stuff either carols or seasonal songs. I have one, I can't find at the moment, which had a great programme of carols but is excruciating to listen to. Its not the that choir is out of tune but that every carol sounds like the same dreary dirge.

Yesterdays Daily Mail (purchased solely for the TV guide before anyone shoots me) had a carol CD featuring Frank Sinatra. Seasonal fare and should be ok, but not listened yet.

I like Christmas for the family visits.

Yvette

You can't beat Frank Sinatra singing White Christmas.  Love it.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
My dog, Barney, has decided he quite likes Christmas.  When visiting my parents last week, he went snooping around upstairs and found the box of Christmas food that my mum had started collecting (each year she makes me up a food parcel of goodies that I wouldn't buy for myself) and ate a whole Christmas pudding and a packet of water biscuits! 
He slept well.

Yvette

Thank goodness there was no chocolate in there.   >yikes<

xSparksx

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
I think what I love most about Christmas, these days, is giving things to people. I crochet, a lot (it's one of my 'distract myself from being housebound' techniques!) and I've got really into making blankets. They're not too expensive with acrylic yarn, which has the bonus of being easy-care, and I've made several blankets for some very good friends. They're riends who have literally dropped everything and come running to support me, at various times this year. I can't do the same for them, being too ill, but what I /can/ do is make them a lovely blanket. Each one is individual, one-of-a-kind, should last their lifetime and is just something I can do to say 'thank you for being there for me'.

So I'm looking forward to Christmas day, when hopefully I will get excited, happy text messages from each friend, having opened their parcel :)

Prabhakari

ding . . . . . . . . . . . Dong!
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Ho ho ho!

Yesterdays Daily Mail (purchased solely for the TV guide before anyone shoots me)

>lol<  my parents get a copy for the same reason, they're happy with the CD as well  >biggrin<

Sparks, what a great solution to present-buying - I'd be very happy with a 'personalised' gift that was made with love  >thumbsup<

Ditchdwellers, your dog's festive feasting reminded me of my very first cat Misty; during the Yuletide season, I was watching TV and got up to potter about in the kitchen when the adverts came on.  I'd just started nibbling at a piece of Christmas cake.  I put the plate down beside me on the sofa - when I came back, Misty had nearly finished the lot  >yikes<  I've never heard of a cat that likes Christmas cake .... Thank goodness there was no .. regurgitation  >whatarelief<

Fuzzgin

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
I love Christmas. Currently bouncing like a 3 year old on a smarties diet because it's the family pre Christmas trip to Belgium to the markets next week.

I too make most of my presents, chocolates in my case. I'm only half alive by Christmas Eve.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I'm hoping to see my step-sister-in-law on Boxing Day.  She is the only one in the step-family that I find is pleasant company.  We only see each other once every few years but stay determined to see each other more often.  It rarely happens.  So this is something to look forward to.

Fizzbw

I love our family Christmas!! Though I'm a bit slower this year about getting presents.

We do a giant pass the parcel every year, for all 8 of us this year (all adults) all stocking type gifts. It's total madness and utterly wonderful. I started it one year when we'd had the worst year and I was determined to make Christmas a joyous and upbeat one, and it's now become a tradition.

I cross stitch a lot of my gifts though this year I've done more cards and ornaments and a beautiful Christmas cottage design for hanging up. I have a lot of baby samplers to be doing for early next year as well!!!

Our old dog hated Christmas, well he liked the parcel and wrapping paper but when we all say round for the meal he went psycho and freaked out poor man. He hated crackers...... He had to stay in a far room with some table scraps.

Fizzbw xxxx

oldtone27

• Charter Member
I usually visit my cousin at Christmas, see other members of my family. the best thing is she is easy to buy presents for. She is into nostalgia collects calendars. She enjoys a railway posters one which reminds her of her childhood and another favourite is a 'Then and Now' calendar of my locality which shows old postcards and the current view.

The other regular is a large photo album in which she gathers the year's crop of family pictures. None of her children get prints any more, but she has them sent her a CD of the best pics which she then takes to have printed. So at least our family will have an archive. Most today will be gone when the computer packs up or the memory card is lost.

Yvette

Pass the parcel - what a wonderful idea.

I'm spending the afternoon and evening with friends and although I will be giving individual presents, a 'pass the parcel' is something I could make and take with me.   >tah<

Yvette

Your first Christmas joke of the season:

A man living in Cornwall calls his son in London two days before Christmas Day and says,

"I hate to ruin your day but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing.  Forty-five years of misery is enough".

"Dad, what are you talking about?'" the son says.

"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer", the father says.

"We're sick of each other and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Scotland and tell her".

Frantically, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone,

"Like hell they're getting divorced", she shouts, "I'll take care of this". 

She calls her parents immediately and screams at her father,

"You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing,  DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife.

"Done! They're coming for Christmas - and they're paying their own way."   

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I have to admit that I was not really looking forward to Christmas this year, just Mr H and I and we weren't sure how much of an effort we wanted to make. Then, just 1 week ago, we took advantage of a late offer and booked ourselves a Christmas holiday - we are off on the 15th (2 weeks today!) and return on 27th, then off to London to see Hurtyboy on 28th.  >biggrin< .

Lots to do between now and then - getting the Christmas stuff ready early for other people and sorting out things for our holiday.

I suspect that I will come back absolutely kanackered and spend much of January in bed, but I will deal with that when it comes.