"The State Of Welfare", on Radio 4, 10am-1pm tomorrow (Tues 27 Nov)

• 9 Replies

sickandtired

• Gold Member
This is a three-hour discussion, with phone-in contributions taken. Here's a summary from the BBC's website:

"Seventy years ago William Beveridge wrote a report that was to lay the foundations for the welfare state. He identified the Five Giants that society needed to slay: Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor and Idleness.

Using archive from the time, Jane Garvey and Julian Worricker take us back to that extraordinary moment in wartime Britain that has proved so pivotal to the shape of the welfare state today. They discuss how well the system serves those who rely it on it now - and those who pay for it.

Changing attitudes to those on benefits are reflected in a new BBC-commissioned poll and and we hear three radical visions for how welfare should be provided in the future. There'll be tough debate on fairness, entitlement, rights and compassion with Frank Field, Labour MP, the philosopher Roger Scruton and social commentator Polly Toynbee.

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Iain Duncan Smith will be challenged to outline the philosophy behind his decisions on reforming the welfare state, as well as responding to the views of contributors and listeners."

To contact the programme

You can contact us by email at R4welfare@bbc.co.uk or via twitter at #R4welfare or by calling us on 03700 100 444.  Lines are open from 0900 on Tuesday November 27th. Costs will be the same as for calls to an 01 or 02 number.

Knowing how far up the government's **** the BBC is, when I heard this programme announced today, I just didn't know what to think. Is this part of the Beeb's agenda to 'appear' to be impartial while still keeping in the government's good books? Who knows.

Anyway, it looks as though it'll present a rare chance to ask Iain Duncan Smith how he can live with himself knowing how many people he's helped to kill, and why he thinks he and his cronies haven't been charged with corporate manslaughter yet.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Could be a chance for at least one of us to have our say - what might make a good question for our Honourable Enemy Friend?

Prabhakari

You can hope.
You will be asked to state your question in advance, and then the B.B.C. team will decide who to allow to ask a question.

I wonder what will happen if someone says they wish to praise I.D.S.; get chosen, and then ask him if his conscience troubles him.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Ever-optimistic, I submitted this just now by e-mail:

Hi, this is Jayne from Somerset (not my real name, obviously ;-) )and I would like this question put to Mr Duncan-Smith regarding the current welfare reforms affecting sick and disabled people:

The assessment process for Employment and Support Allowance appears to be skewed in favour of finding as many people fit for work as possible - can Mr Duncan-Smith accept that there are significant flaws in this process which have resulted in some very unwell people being turned down for ESA, and also give assurances that some of the criteria laid down for benefit entitlement will be amended accordingly to reflect the reality of living with certain impairments?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
That's a far too intelligent question to expect IDS to be able to answer. For a start it doesn't accord with the government script he will be reading from. Not once have you mentioned how good work is for you.

Prabhakari

My verdict:   >thumbsdown<

Hossy Lass just tweeted, trapped in a disabled body.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I've recorded the whole thing on a DVD via Freeview so I can enjoy (?) in bite-sized morsels...

Prabhakari

Have blood pressure medication at hand.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Some people seem to live in bubbles that real life does not penetrate. 

I loved the bit where he was criticising the (less than 1%) government figures for welfare fraud.  He prefers to use USA statistic where virtually everyone admitted that they had income that they did not declare.  This was the research from one woman, no date given.  And he uses this research to rubbish all welfare claimants in this country.  Grrr!

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer

"Seventy years ago William Beveridge wrote a report that was to lay the foundations for the welfare state. He identified the Five Giants that society needed to slay: Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor and Idleness.

nothings changed