George Osborne in expense claim for paddock

• 5 Replies

Minniehaha

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-in-expense-claim-for-paddock-8393737.html

George Osborne was under pressure last night after it was revealed he claimed expenses to cover mortgage payments for a paddock.

The paddock adjoins his Cheshire farmhouse and was bought by the Chancellor and his wife, Frances, as part of the purchase of his Cheshire farmhouse for 455,000 in 2000, before he became an MP.

After winning a seat at Westminster in the 2001 General Election, Mr Osborne claimed up to 100,000 in expenses for mortgage interest payments on the home and paddock. However, it has now been revealed that the paddock is recorded by the land registry as a property separate from the farmhouse near Macclesfield.

The mortgage claims on the farmhouse were considered during the Parliamentary inquiry into MPs' expenses because Mr Osborne had "flipped" his second home allowance on to the property but there was no mention of the paddock being separate. The house and paddock have now been sold, reportedly for up to 1m.

Labour's John Mann said: "Mr Osborne clearly didn't need it [the paddock] to discharge his Parliamentary duties."

In January 2010 Mr Osborne was ordered to repay 1,666 after being found to have overclaimed for mortgage interest on the farmhouse.

This shameless man must be one of the biggest scroungers in the country.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Actually, a joke about Osbourne and disability benefits made it on to the Graham Norton show. I don't habitually watch, but happened to have it on last night. Norton made a few humorous remarks about Jessica Ennis and the undue press attention received by her bottom, then turned his attention to 'the other famous arse at the Olympics' and showed a picture of Gideon . As Norton put it 'He's thinking "As soon as the Paralympics are over, I'm cutting disability allowance!"' The audience laughed quite a bit.

It's up on iPlayer now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p8s2t/The_Graham_Norton_Show_Series_12_Episode_7/

The joke is about a minute or so in.

Minniehaha

Gotta love Graham Norton!  >thumbsup<

Prabhakari

I cannot help reading the thread title as: George Osborne in expense claim for pillock.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Hmmmm I wonder if I could get a paddock too... after all itd only be fair.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

oldtone27

• Charter Member
I think a padlock for Osborne might be of more use together with a hut into which to secure him out of harm's way. Our harm that is.