Work, work, work!

• 24 Replies

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Work, work, work!

• on: 04 Dec 2012 08:04AM
Sorry for being depressing but seriously I am wondering why the hell I should continue to struggle from day to day, we all know its just going to get worse and worse, might be easier just to give in and end it all.  really am sick of this worry 24/7.

SteveF1 >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 Dec 2012 07:36PM
Steve, does your GP know how you feel? 

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Dec 2012 07:50PM
Evidence also suggests that work can have a positive impact on the long
term health of people with disabilities and health conditions.

>steam< The powers that be always misquote that report - "Evidence also suggests that good work can have a positive impact on the long term health of people with disabilities and health conditions..."

I bet all those recession hit employers will just be queuing up in their thousands to offer work placements to all these disabled people.  They don't want to employ people with disabilities for regular vacancies given the additional hassle and cost, why would they bother to take them on for short term work placements when they can get unemployed, non disabled people who come without the extra complications?

Reality check anyone?!!

Indeed - when I was unemployed I was on JSA, so I was considered "ready to work" and my job broker really struggled to find me a work placement even though I was being offered to work for free...

Luckily for me, it was worth the wait as (dodgy wheelchair access notwithstanding) I was eventually found a placement that provided great work experience that led to my current job.  >thumbsup<

SteveX

• on: 04 Dec 2012 11:45PM
Steve, does your GP know how you feel?

No, I only see him when I have to, I really hate going there and to the hospital so I avoid unless I have little choice. 
Member of POMMAS

devine63

• on: 05 Dec 2012 01:02AM

Hi Steve

it sounds as if you could be somewhat depressed, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor as you might need some tests just to make sure you don't have an underlying thyroid problem, or anything like that.   And of course if it's not a hormone problem then you might need some other treatment.

regards, Deb

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2012 09:59AM
They really dont do joined up thinking do they.

Making people in WRAG  take part in the work programme is morally wrong and not in keeping with the way the DWP set the criteria for ESA claims, but then we all know that something being morally wrong wont necessarily stop the government. However, if they do sanction people and take away their income based benefits which are the minimum amount of money people can live on, what are those people going to do. My guess is they will as to have their claim looked at again and appealing to be put into the Support Group could become common place.

A while ago someone posted a link on Ouch Too which gave the statistics for how many people in WRAG had been sanction from (I think) 2009-2011 and the numbers were relatively small. The problem for us is if in reality the government is not going to push the DWP to sanction a lot of people the government's rhetoric is still causing a lot of fear and misery.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2012 10:40AM
The problem for us is if in reality the government is not going to push the DWP to sanction a lot of people the government's rhetoric is still causing a lot of fear and misery.

Scare tactics, perhaps?  Releasing these threats to the 'popular' media in the hope that ESA claimants will quietly force themselves back to work rather than face harassment from JC+ and continual uncertainty over benefit entitlement?

SteveX

• on: 05 Dec 2012 12:24PM

Hi Steve

it sounds as if you could be somewhat depressed, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor as you might need some tests just to make sure you don't have an underlying thyroid problem, or anything like that.   And of course if it's not a hormone problem then you might need some other treatment.

regards, Deb

Funny you should mention thyroid, hypothyroidism is one of my problems but I am on thyroxine tablets for it.  yeah and I do get very depressed at times but seriously look at our situation, things are getting worse and worse, who wouldn't be depressed over it?

Member of POMMAS

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 05 Dec 2012 07:37PM
>lol< rich toff syndrome!

beat me to it,

they say work and there no jobs and its impossible to create them and then they don't actually believe that women or the disabled should work (seriously - there is nothing like a tory work scheme to destroy confidence and put you off working forever and don't even get me started gender unequal pay)

devine63

• on: 05 Dec 2012 11:38PM

"Funny you should mention thyroid, hypothyroidism is one of my problems but I am on thyroxine tablets for it.  yeah and I do get very depressed at times but seriously look at our situation, things are getting worse and worse, who wouldn't be depressed over it?"

That's true, Steve, but I was reacting more to the style of your comments ...   it might be an idea to get a blood test and just make sure the thyroid problem is not making you feel worse than you have to...
regards, Deb