Protecting the UK from a fake Christmas!

• 4 Replies

AccessOfficer

Operating at UK ports and airports Border Force help protect the UK economy and public from the illegal trade in counterfeit goods. In the last few months alone officers have seized tens of thousands of goods, including fake designer clothing and luggage, footwear, watches, sports goods, toys and electronic goods.
Border Force and Trading Standards are warning festive shoppers to be careful about what they buy and where they buy it from to avoid fuelling the illegal trade.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/news/fake-christmas

Regards
AO

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
I have watched some of the border force programmes on tv. It's horrendous how dangerous most of these goods are.
toys that little bits fall off.
Make-up with dangerous additives.
Spirits with dangerous chemicals in.
The one I hate the thought of is the furry boots.
One country has been proved, to skin the animal alive just to get the fur.  >angry<

Not sure how to triangle this.
Warning. Animal cruelty in pictures.

I have taken the link off due to it being too disturbing. 
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2012 01:35PM by suessad »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
AO,

From the link,

'It's easy to be tricked into thinking you’re getting a bargain, but in the run-up to Christmas our message is that if something appears too good to be true it probably is.'

I saw one of the Border Force programmes on tv the other day and they raided a house that had goods from China and they were selling them Ebay. I dont get down town to the cheap shops or market and had not considered the fact I should be more careful about what i buy from Ebay. Now I will especially when it comes to electronic goods.

Suessad,

I missed the link but thank you for using your own judgement and taking the link down. I sometimes go on You Tube and browse from one link to another and end up coming across a listing on the right hand side  for a video I would be upset by if I watched it. It does not mean I stopped going to You Tube but it does make me wary of what I might stumble on.

Apparently there is also a big trade in counterfeit cigarettes in the UK, the tobacco is imported and the cigarettes are made here. They can contain allsorts of pollutants over and above those found in ordinary tobacco.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Always be careful when buying anything from any Internet trader. I try to deal with known companies even if they are not the cheapest.

Ebay (and its like) is a mine field. Most traders are legitimate but not all and you might have difficulty establishing that goods have been misrepresented if trying to get recompense.

If you pay by credit card you have some protection if goods not satisfactory. Only applies to some debit cards.

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
rule of thumb if you are offered anything cheap is if its too good to be true, it is too good to be true