Fairytale of New York: the story behind the Pogues' classic Christmas anthem

• 10 Replies

AccessOfficer

("Pogue mahone" means "Kiss my arse" in Gaelic)

"Every night I used to have another bash at nailing the lyrics, but I knew they weren't right," says MacGowan. "It is by far the most complicated song that I have ever been involved in writing and performing. The beauty of it is that it sounds really simple."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/dec/06/fairytale-new-york-pogues-christmas-anthem?CMP=EMCNEWEML1355

The compliments of the season to you all
AO

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Hurtyboy is looking forward to his Pogues concert later this month, I will send him the link to the article.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Thanks for that AO!

Brings back many memories of Pogues gigs in years gone by.  I still listen to them now.

Jockice

• Charter Member
I went to the pub with the Pogues once. What a great night that was. One of them (Spider I think) told me that if I ever want to get in to one of their concerts for nowt, just go up to the door on the night and say I'm Paddy Riley - they always put that name on the guest list.

I haven't tried though, although I have seen them several times since. Never ever wear a brand new and expensive shirt to a Pogues concert, especially if you go up front. I never saw that shirt again.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Let me just see if this works.

Trying again

>doh< I'll be back
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2012 07:07PM by SunshineMeadows »

sherbs

• Charter Member
Definitely the best "Christmassy Song" of all times. (Well thats just my personal opinion)

>lol<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
[youtube]http://youtu.be/j9jbdgZidu8?t=24s[/youtube]

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I said I would be back. Youtube video embedding is fixed yay.

I love this song not sure why especially given the lyrics inc swearing, but yeah its Christmas.

Fizzbw

I love this song as well.

Long ago, after I got my degree results I got drunk after at the Uni campus with some friends and we staggered off into a large park. In the middle there was this tent/marquee and we e
Went inside to find about 15 people listening to Kirsty McColl live! It was bloomin surreal!! Never did find out why she'd been there.....

So so sad when she died, she'd been part of a very happy day.

Fizzbw x

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
It's one of the only Christmas sings I can tolerate - nice to have one that's actually good!

AndMac

• Charter Member
My top Christmas song for many years now. Thanks for the link. My only Pogues story is that I was at a gig in Temple Bar, along with Phil Chevron once, or so I was told.
The Edge was definitely there, in the roped off VIP bit.

My son is a semi-pro musician and was brushing up on Fairytale yesterday (Saturday).

He was playing it at a wedding reception last night and this was  a special request from the bride and groom apparently!  >biggrin<
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker