Do you want to be cured?

• 33 Replies

lankou

• Charter Member

Do you want to be cured?

• on: 04 Jan 2013 02:51PM
Do you want to be cured? An odd question and perhaps controversial.
I ask because of a science programme I just watched on Japanese TV, about stem cell research.
Apparently the Japanese (I suspect because their bio-science labs are not besieged by animal rights activists) are getting ahead in leaps and bounds and have now managed to cure spinal injuries in mice, rats and primates, and have also been able to cure macular something or other of the eye in animals as well.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer

Re: Do you want to be cured?

• on: 04 Jan 2013 03:02PM
But being "cured" has it's downsides just like not being as able-bodied or able-minded as you wish you could be...

Plus I would imagine it would cost alot of money to use that much salt in the process.
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

F2M. Pre-Op.

nualawatt

• Silver Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:20PM
Hello

I  would have to think about it quite hard. It might be good to be able-bodid - I would quite like to see what 20/20 vision is really like - and it would be good to be able to use both sides fully - when I started to learn back crawl I swam in smaller and smaller circles, because my left shoulder is much more powerful than my right - and proper balance would be useful - but on the other hand I'm not dying - I'm quite fit and well apart from cerebral palsy, and my body works quite well on its own terms. I think I would be worried about any operations going wrong and leaving me with more or different impairments. But it would be worth thinking about. However, I think on the whole, rather than being cured I would like there to be a higher level of knowledge of disability and of cerebral palsy among the general public so that people asked less silly questions and automatically treated you as an adult. That would be better than being cured. Just a thought.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:25PM
Hi Lankou

I though you were going to be ironic and say "visit Corunna House"  - The Glasgow ATOS centre where the cure rate is 99%

I did want to get better but when people without health problems were the ones classed as normal - I deceided normal was over-rated & I was quite content the way I am.

Monic

suessad

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:32PM
Do you want to be cured?

Sorry guys but, I do.
I'm missing all the walking I use to do.
I'm about to miss even the birds singing.

nualawatt

• Silver Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:36PM
Fair enough. I think maybe it's different if you have no memory of not being disabled. Take care. Nuala

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:53PM
Interesting question!

First reaction for me would be, 'well, of course I would', but thinking about it - as for me, it's all mental health stuff - would that 'cure' fundamentally change my core personality?  Perhaps a selective cure, like - I don't ever want to experience depression again, so that could go.  And I'd be happy to show the PTSD the door as well.  But the part of me that gets obsessional about certain things (not in an OCD way, but in an absorbed fascination sort of way - the last psychiatrist I saw said he'd 'never be able to medicate that out of me' ) could stay, as I've found that quite useful in certain areas (though sometimes very painful too if I experience rejection/separation from the object, which may be a particular person sometimes).  For instance, if I hadn't developed an all-consuming interest in the benefit system many years ago, I wouldn't have been able to work for 7 years at the DWP or provide welfare rights advice! 

So 'do you want to be cured' is not as straightforward a question as it might initially appear....

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 07:55PM
I would definitely want to be cured.  To be pain free with the energy to go out would be bliss.  Maybe I just crave to be pain free, and a cure is less important than symptom control. 
I value my 'disabled' existence though as its enabled me to see life from a different perspective, and I think I'm a better person because of it. If that makes sense.

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 08:58PM
While dealing with my physical problems you'd also have to wipe my mind of all the experiences I have had (both good and bad) because of being disabled. That sort of stuff does tend to linger.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 09:07PM
Yes because a cure would not change who I am but would only change what I am.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Jan 2013 10:15PM
I started going to a church once and joined a housegroup. Soon in to it the leader learnt about my spinal difficulties and he said "oh we'll have to pray for healing for that" and I was so shocked as it is not something I'd ever thought about, certainly healing isn't anything I'd asked God for. I guess I cope quite well with it, manage the pain ok and manage what I can and can't do ok so I'd thought I was fine and here was someone telling me it needed healing! So as far as my orthopaedic problems are, I would say actually I am quite happy as I am. I don't get any welfare payments due to it and it doesn't stop me working so no DM readers can complain about my stance, oh tell a lie, I did get a DFG for a shower to be fitted as I can't bend to get in and out of a bath. One off cost.

But as for the depression, oh yes, I would so love to be cured. Completely and utterly please.

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Jan 2013 12:30AM
Yep I would love to be cured. For me it is a no-brainer. Apart from being at least 2k per month worse off financially, I have gone from being a professional sportsman to someone who cannot walk even 2 steps, therefore having to rely on other people whenever I go out.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Jan 2013 11:41AM
I would also appreciate being cured. In the early stages of my MH treatment, I thought the experience would enable me to make a difference somewhere, but instead it just blighted my life, and I went from a reasonably bright teenager, intent on university, making my way in the world and helping to support my Mum, to a messed-up care in the community case, with the concentration of a fruit fly and the cognitive agility of a brick. The pain can take a running jump as well. I used to use physical exercise as a stabilising mechanism, to help keep MH symptoms under control. It worked very well for me - so much so,that at times I was able to undertake periods of supported voluntary work, but now that's gone as well.  :-(

Sorry if any of that sounded unnecessarily angry. Am very over-emotional at the moment.  >bighugs<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 05 Jan 2013 01:43PM
Sorry but I have to echo DitchDweller
I would definitely want to be cured.  To be pain free with the energy to go out would be bliss.  Maybe I just crave to be pain free, and a cure is less important than symptom control. 
I value my 'disabled' existence though as its enabled me to see life from a different perspective, and I think I'm a better person because of it. If that makes sense.

But then, thanks the the Acceleration to Suicide group and the Department of Workshy and Paralympians, I am perfectly fit and suffer no pain, no stiffness in my joints and can walk 130 metres.  (I mean who measures the time it takes them to walk 30 metres over a basic distance?)  The pain in my shoulders to type this does not exist, the pain in my knees sitting here with a laptop resting on a cushioned lap-table doesn't exist.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Jan 2013 01:49PM
the Acceleration to Suicide group and the Department of Workshy and Paralympians,

That is going on a T-shirt.