Husbands state pension

• 3 Replies

jools51

• Bronze Member

Husbands state pension

• on: 11 Jan 2013 08:17PM
My husband reaches State Pension age in May 2013, we are currently getting Income Related Employment and Support Allowance as a Joint Claim ( is Income related,)  does anybody know what will happen  to or money in May when my husband starts to get his State Pension rather than Employment and Support Allowance??  am totally confused and can,t find any website to explain the process of what happens when you are in receipt of a JOINT claim and move on to your State Pension    my hubby is 65 in May but I am not.. I am only 53 so got 12 more years yet what do we do?? can anyone help on here thanks.

Monic1511

Re: Husbands state pension

• on: 11 Jan 2013 09:05PM
Hi Jools

Your husband should be phoning the pension service to get the claim pack for his state pension as this can take 12 weeks to process. check this link for the most upto date info on that https://www.gov.uk/claim-state-pension-online

You say that the ESA is your husbands benefit, are you also sick?  I only ask because although your husband can claim Pension Credit for both of you, the law is changing when universal credit starts.   Once this change comes in pension credit can only be claimed if both people are of state pension age so you will be affected by this one. :-(

Pension credit for a couple is 217.90 minus your husbands state pension and any other income.   The main thin is your husbands Income related ESA would end and he would need to make a claim for both his state pension and Pension credit.   If you are in local authority housing and get council tax benefit you will also need to notify these departments of the changes.

Once the change in legislation comes in you will need to make a claim in your own right for either jobseekers allowance or employment and support allowance, or carers allowance if your husband is getting DLA middle rate care.

I hope that makes sense
Monic

jools51

• Bronze Member

• on: 11 Jan 2013 11:46PM
thanks this does make sense I will get him to ring them on Monday but its asI thought I am going to have to go back to Employment and Support Allowance :-(  , will the fact ( when this happens i mean) will the fact that I have already been in receipt of ESA was in WRAG, but as of April 2012 had been on it for over 12mths and it was ended.... this is how come we ended up on ESA income related as a joint claim with my husband.  I can,t stand this its draining me yes I have a degenerative condition that affects my mobility and motor skills, up until January 2011 I was e still employed just long term sick!!!   I was offered early retirement on medical grounds and I met all the HMRC guidelines to get my works pension early, so I took it as I would not be able to go back to my job in a busy high street bank, so this is where ive ended up after 34 years of full time employment looking after my sick husband and my own health problems and the prospect of becoming destitute its so unfair .

Monic1511

• on: 12 Jan 2013 11:14AM
Hi Jools

When your husband gets his state pension and claims pension credit he should claim for you as well and later on whenever the change in legislation comes in that would be when you should reclaim ESA.  They probably won't consider your old claim at all as you may have got better  >doh< ( I know degenerative conditions dont get better >steam<)

I think its something like October 2013 the legislation changes but DWP have a history of enforcing the change for new claimants and then contacting existing claimants later on.

Since your hubby will claim in May 2013 that would may you an existing claim if its October the change is due, so it might be another 6 months after that before you need to think about reclaiming ESA,  personally its too long away to get too stressed about, if you can forget about it in the meantime.  >hugs<

You mentioned your works pension, remember and declare it when he claims pension credit as it with his state pension will be classed as income.

Remeber and let your MP know how shafted you feel by the system according to them work pays  >erm<
best wishes

monic