WCA: Home Assessments

• 2 Replies

Minniehaha

WCA: Home Assessments

• on: 26 Jan 2013 02:43AM
When I returned my last ESA50 I requested a home visit, being agoraphobic.  My request was completely ignored and I was asked to attend the assessment centre.  I wasn't told I could have a home assessment if I provided a letter from my GP and (at that time) I was too naive about the ESA process to figure that out for myself.

My husband was available to accompany me to the assessment but I still found it something of an ordeal and I was unable to sit in the crowded waiting room beforehand.  Luckily we'd managed to park directly outside the assessment centre and we went and sat in the car until the receptionist summoned me on my mobile.

I recently wrote to my MP about several issues, including the ESA process, and I brought up the matter of home visits.  I gave him permission to send all my paperwork to 'a minister at the DWP' so my issues could be addressed and my MP duly had a response from Mark Hoban which he passed on to me.

Needless to say, much of the response contained a lot of waffle about 'improvements' being made to the ESA process (especially for those with mental health issues) and most of my specific questions about ESA (and the use of ESA medical reports in determining DLA decisions) were left unanswered. 

However, this paragraph I found very interesting:

The application process can prove stressful for some individuals and a number of steps have been taken to ensure that this is minimised wherever possible.  Where individuals are required to attend an assessment interview, the process is endeavoured to be completed in as short a timeframe as possible, preferably within thirteen weeks of the date of the first claim.  If it is not possible for the claimant to attend the assessment, there is the possibility of the Department's healthcare provider conducting a home visit.

I intend to send a copy of that letter (signed by Mark Hoban) with every ESA50 I receive in future and I shall expect to be offered nothing but home visits from now on.

I sincerely hope that all claimants are being advised that they can have home visits - preferably without the hassle of having to get a letter from their GP.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2013 02:54AM by Minniehaha »

Monic1511

Re: WCA: Home Assessments

• on: 26 Jan 2013 06:21PM
Hi Minnie

thanks for this - when claimants ask at the office if they can get a home visit from ATOS we have been advised to tell them that they will need to get a supporting letter from the GP saying why they need a home visit.  We would then fax this to ATos and make sure it is received and acted on, if the client then got another letter saying attend a wca we would query this.   As you can guess the sticking point is the supporting letter from the GP  >erm<

Hope you get the result you want/need
Monic

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

Re: WCA: Home Assessments

• on: 26 Jan 2013 08:01PM
I am finding out day-by-day things I should have done/asked for in my Assessment or appeal.  It is such a pity that one has to be drip fed information and it can't be made a simple system. 

Hopefully, one day, there will be a solution, like Mandatory Deportation for all Members of Parliament.  (replace Deportation with any other word you would choose in it's place!)
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel