NEA and WRAG

• 4 Replies

Tallus

NEA and WRAG

• on: 05 Feb 2013 07:39PM
Hi. I was just put on WRAG following a tribunal hearing a month ago which was upheld in my favour. There is the chance of starting up a small business soon which would allow me to work in my chosen field without the stress of my previous (NHS) job a few years ago. Question is do I qualify for NEA? I can't seem to find an answer.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: NEA and WRAG

• on: 05 Feb 2013 08:18PM
Hi Tallus, and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

It would appear from the DWP's own website that NEA (New Enterprise Allowance) is available only to those claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, not ESA at all - but the rules have been relaxed to allow an NEA claim from the first date of entitlement to JSA rather than a six-month wait:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/new-enterprise-allowance/

As you are in the ESA WRAG, sooner or later you will be invited to a work-focused interview at Jobcentre Plus - it would be worth mentioning your self-employment ideas to your adviser as there may well be other help available...

Tallus

• on: 05 Feb 2013 08:44PM
That's a real help - thanks. In fact the first WRAG interview is less than a week away - so I'll ask all about it then.  Is it possible to ask to change from ESA WRAG to JSA at that time, and then claim for NEA, or have they covered that one too? !

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Feb 2013 09:03PM
You can stop an ESA (or Income Support) claim at any time and put in a claim for JSA - but don't be in too much of a hurry to do that, as JSA carries much more 'conditionality', ie you will be expected to be available for just about any work as in effect you are declaring yourself fit.  I'd be inclined to explore the possibilities in an ESA WRAG-based setting first and foremost - especially as you had to fight for that ESA! - before you consider switching to JSA  >thumbsup<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Feb 2013 09:08PM
Tallus,

I would definitely advise against trying to get put back on JSA when you had to appeal to even get WRAG ESA. However you could ask your adviser about permitted work, as far as I can remember you can earn up to 90 a week for 52 weeks without losing benefit. Starting small and seeing if the business idea would work and that you could manage to keep up with the daily 'grind' seems to me a better approach.

Also I think there are charitable organisations who offer grants to start businesses.

Kizzy,

Good link  >thumbsup<