Sneaky drinks!

• 3 Replies

AccessOfficer

Sneaky drinks!

• on: 08 Feb 2013 08:50AM
A Change4Life campaign launches today to raise awareness of the health risks associated with drinking regularly over the guidelines. Four weeks of nationwide TV advertising, beginning today, form the main part of the campaign. The advert shows how drinking can easily ‘sneak up on you’ and encourages people to check their drinking online using the Change4Life Drinks Checker.

To get a picture of drinking habits and find out the difference cutting down can make, the Change4Life team asked 19 people to keep a detailed drinks diary for 2 weeks. The findings show those that took part were drinking on average the equivalent of an extra large glass of wine each day, or 40% more than they thought.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/2013/02/c4l-alcohol/

Regards
AO

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

Re: Sneaky drinks!

• on: 08 Feb 2013 01:09PM
I could have given them a diary for nearly 1600 weeks I haven't been able to touch alcohol since I had a motorcycle accident in 1982!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 08 Feb 2013 02:47PM
I'm out with an utter bunch of pissheads tonight. I don't drink myself.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 08 Feb 2013 06:51PM
"The findings show those that took part were drinking on average the equivalent of an extra large glass of wine each day, or 40% more than they thought."

OK, large glass of wine, in theory that could be 160ml or more, but let's say it's around 135-140ml and the wine is 13%, we're talking two units.  I

They say that's 40% extra, so divide by two and multiply by five, they thought they were having 5 units but they're having seven.

Of course, they could be talking about what a pub calls a large glass, in which case we're talking three units, so half as much again, they thought they were having seven and a half units and they're actually having ten and a half.

However, Cancer research UK says that "On average, men in Britain drink 16 units a week, and women 8 units a week."

That's 2.2 units/day for men and 1.1 units/day for women.

Who do we believe?  Well, Cancer research is pretty hard-hitting about alcohol intake, so I don't see they have any incentive to underestimate intake and the Change4life statistics involved 19 people.  I cannot for the life of me imagine what makes the DH think that a survey of 19 people will accurately represent average drinking habits in this country.

Given the choice, therefore, between believing the DH figures of 7 - 10.5 units/day and the Cancer Research figure of 2 units a day, I'd rather believe the CR figure or at most a little bit more.

This will backfire on the DH when the drink companies fight back with more accurate statistics.

PS how did they select these 19 people who were drinking 7 - 10.5 units a day?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)